Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 11:35   #1

bavaria 32 maximum persons capacity - under class A (oceanic)

Hi all!

As you probably know, Bav's sailing boats CE plates (and CE Certification Document) only states for the Class A (oceanic) number of persons recommended by the manufacturer. At least those around the same constructiuon year of mine (2005).

Jeanneau's, Beneteau's and others list maximum persons for each navigation zone (A, B, C and D), like this:

(image from this article: Recreational Craft Directive - CE Plates)

Why does bavaria only list A category? I wanto to use my boat (in the river) with more persons but local authorities does not allow me, and I must agree with them because they must follow the CE certification.
Probably I need to contact bavaria to send me a complete max persons matrix, but I don't know if I'll do it because they don't give a 5hit to me. I've already made 2 website-form requests and never got a reply (one for a manual of my model in english and another to request the sails dimensions plan) - bad support, I should say!

Anyone of you got this information from bavaria?
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:38   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: bavaria 32 maximum persons capacity - under class A (oceanic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psousa View Post
Hi all!

As you probably know, Bav's sailing boats CE plates (and CE Certification Document) only states for the Class A (oceanic) number of persons recommended by the manufacturer. At least those around the same constructiuon year of mine (2005).

Jeanneau's, Beneteau's and others list maximum persons for each navigation zone (A, B, C and D), like this:

(image from this article: Recreational Craft Directive - CE Plates)

Why does bavaria only list A category? I wanto to use my boat (in the river) with more persons but local authorities does not allow me, and I must agree with them because they must follow the CE certification.
Probably I need to contact bavaria to send me a complete max persons matrix, but I don't know if I'll do it because they don't give a 5hit to me. I've already made 2 website-form requests and never got a reply (one for a manual of my model in english and another to request the sails dimensions plan) - bad support, I should say!

Anyone of you got this information from bavaria?
I don't know if they can. I don't know if they certified the boat for all other classes.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:04   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

This is just a guess. It is probably easier and cheaper for the manufacture to get a vessel certified for just 1 class.

There are probably a lot of hoops you will need to jump thru to change the certification plate or to have it amended.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:31   #4

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Bavaria Vision 46 plate lists A and B categories. Difference is 4 persons. Based on description of categories none others would apply.

Bavaria has replied to each of my inquiries rapidly. They don't always give me the answers I want but they do reply.

I had the Max persons on my boat for B category and there were too many people onboard. That will be the last time. So, I may strike out the B category info!
Old 29-03-2017, 04:17   #5

Just to clarify and close this threath: local authorities approved only 6 persons, even knowing my portuguese flag licence is for local navigation (land on sight). My request to allow more was refused because have no builder support (CE certificate) as explained on my 1st post.
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 04:24   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Check the owners manual - if you don't have one then you can google it or find it on Bavarias homepage

here's one for a bavaria 40 (came up first when I googled)

see page 5 - lists both A and B limits

http://www.uchimata.fr/wp-content/up...A9taire-en.pdf

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 04:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: bavaria 32 maximum persons capacity - under class A (oceanic)

I have registered a couple of boats with the Portuguese authorities in the past..
What happened in my case was the Policia Maritimo came to the boat.. I had to have it lifted so they could inspect the hull and rudder.. they then asked me how many persons I wished it registered for.. in the case of the 22ftr I said 4.. they then inspected for the appropriate safety gear.. PFD's, suitable abandon ship arrangements , flares etc..
From this I got the impression that should you wish to carry 8-10 people day tripping on your 32ftr and you have the appropriate equipment they would accept this.. any more people than that would be unsafe.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, maxi