Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 18:18   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Charter Captaini opportunities in Panama?

I’ve done a little research and it seems a work visa in Panama isn’t likely to be a big issue. I’m wondering if anyone that participates in this forum knows if I would be able to skipper for Charter companies there? I recently “career retired” and am looking into options on what to do next. I got my USCG 50 ton license with sail auxiliary a few years ago thinking I might run charters on my own boat (40 ft gaff rigged schooner) and I may still, but I’ve decided to look into other places where I might want to do charters, most likely for charter companies if I go that route. My first thought was Nova Scotia, which I love, but it seems Canada won’t allow me to work there.

Thanks in advance for your response, and I’d be interested in any other areas you might suggest I look into.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 19:43   #2

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Re: Charter Captaini opportunities in Panama?

Aside from a few casual Charter operators here, actual 'Charter Companies' are light on here in Panama. I know of a number of vessel owners that do Charters on their own boats to subsidise their lifestyle. Do you know of or have any Charter Companies in mind?
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 05:26   #3

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Re: Charter Captain opportunities in Panama?

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a charter company in mind. The large one's are pretty savvy marketers though so if they aren't there there is/ are good reason(s). Lack of demand and/or hard to deal with regulations are most likely why. You guys are typically south of the hurricane paths correct? I would think that alone given what Caribbean charterers have dealt with the last 5 years would bring them there.

The fact that you know a few people running charters is interesting though. If I were to use my boat, it's more suited to day trips and sunset cruises, as for a 40 ft boat it's beam is only 9.5 ft plus it has a bridge deck making moving around below a bit of a challenge. She's a beautiful and unique boat that I think would generate interest in going out on her, even if one weren't necessarily actively looking to try sailing for a few hours. I'll attach a picture or two below.
Maybe there is (or with some marketing could be a market for that? I note that I don't necessarily need the money, but it would be ideal if I could generate enough monthly income to support my planned lifestyle, which should not be expensive. How could one not be attracted to not digging into the retirement kitty each month?
n what part of Panama are you located, and in what areas do you think market conditions might allow for a go at this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stella Portside in slip.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	225674  
Attached Images

Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 17:25   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are no charter companies here in Panama, certainly none of the major ones. There are a few booking agents who mostly book for boats working the San Blas. Most of the boats working the San Blas are substandard, illegal, and cater to the backbacker charter trade. Ive worked as a charter captain in a number of different venues and the San Blas is the sleaziest Ive ever encountered. Im sure there are some exceptions, but they are uncommon.

Quite a few of these boats end up on the reefs each season, the captains are typically drunk/stoned/asleep.

To work legally here you do need a work permit
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 19:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are no charter companies here in Panama, certainly none of the major ones. There are a few booking agents who mostly book for boats working the San Blas. Most of the boats working the San Blas are substandard, illegal, and cater to the backbacker charter trade. Ive worked as a charter captain in a number of different venues and the San Blas is the sleaziest Ive ever encountered. Im sure there are some exceptions, but they are uncommon.

Quite a few of these boats end up on the reefs each season, the captains are typically drunk/stoned/asleep.

To work legally here you do need a work permit
Yes exactly what I was trying to say.
Old 22-10-2020, 20:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I don't have a charter company in mind. The large one's are pretty savvy marketers though so if they aren't there there is/ are good reason(s). Lack of demand and/or hard to deal with regulations are most likely why. You guys are typically south of the hurricane paths correct? I would think that alone given what Caribbean charterers have dealt with the last 5 years would bring them there.

The fact that you know a few people running charters is interesting though. If I were to use my boat, it's more suited to day trips and sunset cruises, as for a 40 ft boat it's beam is only 9.5 ft plus it has a bridge deck making moving around below a bit of a challenge. She's a beautiful and unique boat that I think would generate interest in going out on her, even if one weren't necessarily actively looking to try sailing for a few hours. I'll attach a picture or two below.
Maybe there is (or with some marketing could be a market for that? I note that I don't necessarily need the money, but it would be ideal if I could generate enough monthly income to support my planned lifestyle, which should not be expensive. How could one not be attracted to not digging into the retirement kitty each month?
n what part of Panama are you located, and in what areas do you think market conditions might allow for a go at this?
Im currently located on the Pacfic coast side. But Panama isnt that big so we know most of the locations, and a lot of the regular characters here.

Not that I want to rain on your parade but it is simply very lean in Panama for boating tourism. If you want to come its beautiful but from what I have seen of others (some well backed, others reasonably savvy that gave things a good go) attempts there is simply very little money to be made.

Belizesailor is on the money. Simply put there are no charter companies here. A few very informal unregulated boats that cater to low end backpackers. These guys are really just minimally subsidising their existance.

Work permit aside, the main issue is there is simply no/ very few actual customers for this here. I know some fishing charter guys, which is I would say a more in demand activity and he struggles. He can only really keep going as a part time hobby. Any tourists that do come to Panama mostly never get out of Panama city.
Old 31-10-2020, 18:58   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
Im currently located on the Pacfic coast side. But Panama isnt that big so we know most of the locations, and a lot of the regular characters here.

Not that I want to rain on your parade but it is simply very lean in Panama for boating tourism. If you want to come its beautiful but from what I have seen of others (some well backed, others reasonably savvy that gave things a good go) attempts there is simply very little money to be made.

Belizesailor is on the money. Simply put there are no charter companies here. A few very informal unregulated boats that cater to low end backpackers. These guys are really just minimally subsidising their existance.

Work permit aside, the main issue is there is simply no/ very few actual customers for this here. I know some fishing charter guys, which is I would say a more in demand activity and he struggles. He can only really keep going as a part time hobby. Any tourists that do come to Panama mostly never get out of Panama city.
I do know a few fishing charter operators who are quite successful here. Several located around Boca Chica with nice boats and lodges. But, as you say, slim pickins for sailing charters except for the questionable San Blas trade.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, charter, Panama