Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 16:30   #1

Post Pensacola to key west to virgin islands

Leaving when crew is ready. 33 vanguard heavy cruiser with diesel, fully serviced and provisioned 5 crew wanted, 4 expected. Retired naval flight officer with perfect safety record. One way to the islands and crew may depart or remain until return trip. 4 to 6 hour watch daily. Share expenses in port only. Captain pays all cruising expenses under way.
Old 26-05-2019, 18:52   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Pensacola to key west to virgin islands

5 crew on a 33’ sailboat?
Including yourself?

No thanks, 3 total should be enough for
24 hour watch keeping on a small boat. (Surely you have an autopilot or other self steering?)

Bon Voyage.
Old 26-05-2019, 23:17   #3

When I was growing up we jammed our family of 5 into a Cessna 182 and flew to Canada many times. yes 4 was better.

Yes I have new raymarine autopilot connected to chart but no radar. Plenty of room to stretch out in the cockpit. 2 berths forward 2 aft plus double in main cabin. That makes for plenty of storage and extra sails can be folded and rolled and fit into the anchor locker. I would rather just 3 crew but there is plenty of room for 1 or two more.
A friend of mine went to Cuba to rescue 1 person in the flotilla. When they got there the we're forced to take 18. Many hands make light work, but not two many.
I explored the north woods of Manitou in wood and canvas canoes. 200 miles with portages. 3 or 4 per canoe. Best trip ever was 6 men and two older children on a small utility boat in alaska. We flew back with 3 100 quart coolers packed with halibut and salmon filets.
Make adventure great again. Thanks for your comment man!
Old 27-05-2019, 02:28   #4

This is a test.
Old 27-05-2019, 03:06   #5

Lightbulb Re: Pensacola to key west to virgin islands

Ok. So we're cruising along with sails up and navigating a 2 day passage. We have 6 bunks, and plenty of headroom in the main cabin and even though we have room for 8 to stretch out; we decided to limit our crew to three? 8 hours rest, 8 hours watch and 8 hours cooking, cleaning, bathing, and just hanging out and supporting the helm.

This versus a 6 man crew with two sleeping, one napping, one cooking and serving meals and snacks and two sharing the traditional 4 hour watch. At 1700 the fine main course is served for three and at 1800 the other three sit down. The 1600 to 2000 shift is split to accommodate the galley. The bell is rung every half hour in the main cabin. The life of a sailor is good on a well organized vessel. Log books get filled and each crew has 4 hours watch, 4 hours light duty, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours free time. We're catching fish, playing games, relaxing, sending messages, telling tales...the three man crew is working just to make the passage.
Old 27-05-2019, 09:41   #6

Beautiful boat. Wow. I agree with you that a couple of extras makes life a breeze, and more fun instead of being bored and sleep deprived.
Old 27-05-2019, 09:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I take it that this idyllic passage with a huge crew (including sleeping forward!) was never undertaken bashing into the incessant trades and waves that have earned this passage the name, "the thorny path"? I think we will all be eager to read the account, when you are done, or along the way. I would think you will have a much better time with a total of three onboard.
Old 27-05-2019, 15:52   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I take it that this idyllic passage with a huge crew (including sleeping forward!) was never undertaken bashing into the incessant trades and waves that have earned this passage the name, "the thorny path"? I think we will all be eager to read the account, when you are done, or along the way. I would think you will have a much better time with a total of three onboard.
Yeah, 3 should ok: I owned a 33’ sailboat for 14 years, did a few short trips with 5 total, also did 4, 3, 2 and 1, mostly to the Keys and the Bahamas.
Perfect size boat for a couple, 3 for a delivery ought to work good, less food and drink to shop for, more elbow room for everybody, less cooking and cleaning.
Old 27-05-2019, 17:20   #9

pirate Re: Pensacola to key west to virgin islands

I see now that this "crew wanted" forum is really just a gallery, an interactive audience of sorts. This kinda reminds me of the horse-drawn group at my AKC GSP club that would follow alongside the gun dog trials and pick us up at the end of the heat. No one actually finds a crew here. This is where you go to get your trip cancelled. Nice! Funny thing, I don't need to go to the islands. I already live in paradise. It's all here. Everything but the pirates. Since you would rather hear about the trip, than make the voyage maybe it's time to make it into a video game complete with dry dock, yacht club racing, and the great loop for bonus points. This trip is postponed until further notice.
Old 27-05-2019, 18:24   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

33' boat, dead to weather. Do you really think you will be able to use the forward bunks? I don't wish to be a nay sayer but you would have a rough trip leaving from Capr Fear. Have you looked at a pilot chart?
Old 27-05-2019, 20:23   #11

Post Re: Pensacola to key west to virgin islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
33' boat, dead to weather. Do you really think you will be able to use the forward bunks? I don't wish to be a nay sayer but you would have a rough trip leaving from Capr Fear. Have you looked at a pilot chart?
No but I've read my fortune and it says "New venture could cost you dearly" and a stubborn troll whispered, "you shall not make the great crossing without the blessing of the gallery." And now looking back, I wonder how I ever escaped the "whisperwill" that lurked in the camp or the roaming coyotes that kept us pinned down in the field, and that damn cramped cockpit of an F-14 tomcat going Mach 1.5 upside-down in the dark of a moonless night. We'll it seems that I was quite lucky. My luck has almost run out. The cards tell the six of swords and the crystal ball has blue bubbles.
Old 27-05-2019, 20:37   #12

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Naysayers aside, I'd be up for it if I weren't getting ready to run north from FL myself in a 39 footer with 5 aboard... Good luck & thanks for your service. We may have crossed paths if you flew off Kitty Hawk or Carl Vinson...
Old 27-05-2019, 20:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabowers View Post
Naysayers aside, I'd be up for it if I weren't getting ready to run north from FL myself in a 39 footer with 5 aboard... Good luck & thanks for your service. We may have crossed paths if you flew off Kitty Hawk or Carl Vinson...
wasn't the Kitty Hawk the replacement for the Lexington or visa versa. I served on the Constellation. Check this out. I flew on a Constellation to Tripoli when I was 6 months old. Our house man was an Italian speaking Muslim whose wife lived with goats in our discarded moving crate. Hey, do you have a v berth in your 39 footer? How about making it into a brig?
Old 27-05-2019, 21:11   #14

The Constellation was the last aircraft of the 60's followed by the Boeing 707 passenger "jet plane" and all of this happened in the mid 60's Right when the Pearson vanguard and 707 helped set the stage for the get away and jet plane revolution. $18k for a Rolls Royce or a sailboat.
Old 28-05-2019, 03:48   #15

Boat: Offshore Wings 33

if you are still looking, PM me please.
Closed Thread

Tags
key west, pensacola, Virgin Islands