Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 16:13   #46

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
Re: Beneteau 45f5 for Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Just to show the OP how all cruisers vary, we are the opposite to those that insist you will need a generator. We don't have one and we have only a very small 6A alternator on one outboard.
Just time for a quick comment as I received an email on this.

Yes, everybody is different and has different needs. During the last refit we got rid of the propane onboard and put in induction cooktop. We never use an oven for cooking anyway so did away with it. And new microwave. And replaced the old Volvo genset with new 6 kW Cummins Onan generator. We use the generator for heating water while charging batteries with the inverter's charger. So we never run our propulsion engine just for heating water. We have only put in one reman propulsion engine and transmission in 30 years and the current one has 1,900 hours on it at 14 years old.

We refit many of these things after we sort of figured out what we'd like to have to make our lives more comfortable and convenient for long term liveaboard.
Sjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 19:07   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423
Re: Beneteau 45f5 for Circumnavigation

That's a phenomenon boat. Just some food for thought... iPad will likely become your best friend, I wouldn't invest money in electronics as long as you have a working depth meter. In fact, I would get two iPads instead! Aluminum bottom inflatable and 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha are te way to go.

On a 10+ year old boat the most likely biggest expense will be standing rigging (cost me $45k all said and done at sfboatworks though it can be done to less) when comparing boats take that into account!

Watermakers can be bought used on Craigslist if you're patient and are a game changer, you want one if you plan on sailing more than 1 year...

No structural reinforcements needed, but study the history of the boat, more than one 45f5 has had keel damage from my research uno the boat, dont count on the owner to disclose it, get a good surveyor.

That's plenty of hp, you'll be fine. In hindsight, a collapsible fuel bag on deck is way better than jerry cans. With my 53g capacity I've never needed the jerry cans but I'll continue to bring extra fuel just in case. If you buy a boat that sails well, sail it!

Make sure you sail to half moon bay and drakes bay in rough weather, with the ladies... if you can handle that everything else will be fine!

Good luck!
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, circumnavigation, navigation