Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 16:19   #1

Lagoon 620 Ownership Cost to Run & Maintain

Greetings,

I have a good idea about what it costs to run and maintain a Lagoon 450F but does anyone have an idea how much more a 620 would be? is it 2x, 3x, 4x the amount of a 450?

Thank you
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 19:18   #2

Re: Lagoon 620 Ownership Cost to Run & Maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Greetings,

I have a good idea about what it costs to run and maintain a Lagoon 450F but does anyone have an idea how much more a 620 would be? is it 2x, 3x, 4x the amount of a 450?

Thank you
I suspect it's at the level of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:55   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49

Shud have bought a Phenom.
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:19   #4

So I’m interested in this number too and from the conversations I’ve had and research done the number can be all over the map depending on what you choose to include and how far you cruise and what you add in the budget for future major stuff like engines/rigging/sails/stuff if you hand onto it long enough.

Assuming you are your own captain and buying new have it fully outfitted for crushing (cost not included) and cruise full time, my info tells me roughly $100k/year with 2 month or so spent in marinas. This would not include any costs outside the boat like provisioning or living expenses.

The other question not included in the above is are you considering depreciation of the boat in the cost as well. For a new 620 I’d add on another $100k year give or take. This is why I tend to look towards lightly used and be willing to compromise a few things if the right deal pops up. Most people don’t factor that into the cost of ownership. Granted if you are spending the $ to keep it perfect depreciation does level off. I’m considering it just part of the price, boats never make financial sense. You can’t take it with you lol!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:36   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

Can you sail a 620 short handed? Wouldn’t you need a permanent crew?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Can you sail a 620 short handed? Wouldn’t you need a permanent crew?
Two very competent people could sail a 620, but it would be a hell of a lot of work to maintain a boat of that size. A big factor in our search is that sweet spot between size to be comfy but not too big to be a burden and you spend more time working than enjoying (or need crew). A 60’ Outremer 5X has probably 1/3 of the living space but similar waterline and a couple could much easier handle that boat. For a catamaran short handed 50-ish feet is about as big as I think you want for short handed, but that’s me.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:23   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Two very competent people could sail a 620, but it would be a hell of a lot of work to maintain a boat of that size. A big factor in our search is that sweet spot between size to be comfy but not too big to be a burden and you spend more time working than enjoying (or need crew). A 60’ Outremer 5X has probably 1/3 of the living space but similar waterline and a couple could much easier handle that boat. For a catamaran short handed 50-ish feet is about as big as I think you want for short handed, but that’s me.

Sailed a leopard 48 for a week by myself no problem, but would tend to agree, 50 odd is about as big as a couple would want to go.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:21   #8

Friend of mine went from 42 ft to 54 ft monohull and had planned on 2x cost. 3x didn't cover, so after a year 54 ft. Layed and is for sale!
Petals wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:39   #9

Boat: Island Packet 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Why the F do people say that?
Now go be a smart ass somewhere else...
Because the famous yachtsman, Sir Thomas Lipton, owner of several "Shamrocks," said it when asked about the cost of operating his yachts. So I don't think "smart ass" is really applicable here. More like subtly historic.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:05   #10

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

A good approximation has been empirically shown to be the cube of the length OA percentage difference, or roughly 2.628072X...but this is for for monos. For cats, simply multiply this by the beam factor difference squared, and Bob's yur uncle...
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student_Driver View Post
Shud have bought a Phenom.
Embraer's maintenance and dealer network is really bad and the interiors are junk.

Textron has the #1 best service and dealer network.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
So I’m interested in this number too and from the conversations I’ve had and research done the number can be all over the map depending on what you choose to include and how far you cruise and what you add in the budget for future major stuff like engines/rigging/sails/stuff if you hand onto it long enough.

Assuming you are your own captain and buying new have it fully outfitted for crushing (cost not included) and cruise full time, my info tells me roughly $100k/year with 2 month or so spent in marinas. This would not include any costs outside the boat like provisioning or living expenses.

The other question not included in the above is are you considering depreciation of the boat in the cost as well. For a new 620 I’d add on another $100k year give or take. This is why I tend to look towards lightly used and be willing to compromise a few things if the right deal pops up. Most people don’t factor that into the cost of ownership. Granted if you are spending the $ to keep it perfect depreciation does level off. I’m considering it just part of the price, boats never make financial sense. You can’t take it with you lol!
Thanks, it seems to be about what I 'm hearing from other owners, $7k-$10k a month has been the range so far.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

As with many big cats, there is a concentration of them sailing in the crewed charter market here, in the BVI. Most of them rather routinely operate with two (professional) crewmembers, but take on others for passages to and from Europe, let's say, or to the US. The crew are nice, friendly people, or they couldn't be in the business. My advice would be to google a few of these boats (not hard to find) and give them a call. If they are not too busy, I am sure you could get some enlightening information which would include which bits take some heavy maintenance, and which bits are reliable or the opposite. The charter industry and it's support industries are really the places to find this kind of information. The boats are used hard, well, and often, and are maintained to a high standard.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, ownership