Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 08:19   #1

Grenada Bareboat May vs August

Good morning.

Was thinking of doing a 10 day bareboat in Grenada with Sunsail or Moorings. Currently have a reservation for May 2020 in the Exumas but obviously that base is destroyed.

What are your guys' thoughts on the weather between May vs August and any other considerations I should be making with your inside information? Will a hurricane hitting higher up on the chain cause any issues?

Thanks!
smarcus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:39   #2

Re: Grenada Bareboat May vs August

Anyone?

Old 26-11-2019, 06:49   #3

Hi, don't have experience in the Grenadines in August, but have sailed from Grenada to the Grenadines in May (once) and late April (once) and the weather was beautiful! Trades (if I remember correctly) start to drop off in May so wind may not be as strong. However, we had consistent 20 knots and gusts up to 30 knts when motor sailing up the lee side of Grenada to Carriacou. That passage from Port Louis to Carriacou is a rough one and not an ideal shake down sail. We only got rained on once all week and that was at the end of the trip when we left Union island for Port Louis Marina. If you go make sure you stop at Mayreau, one of my absolute favorite bays, go easy on the rum punch though its dangerous!
If you are doing moorings or sunsail consider doing a one-way from St Lucia down through the Grenadines (check in at Bequia) then on down to Grenada.

Good luck, may be doing the same trip in April this year if I can get my crew together and on the same page!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 06:54   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus3 View Post
Good morning.

Was thinking of doing a 10 day bareboat in Grenada with Sunsail or Moorings. Currently have a reservation for May 2020 in the Exumas but obviously that base is destroyed.

What are your guys' thoughts on the weather between May vs August and any other considerations I should be making with your inside information? Will a hurricane hitting higher up on the chain cause any issues?

Thanks!
The Exumas are just fine. The hurricane only affected the Abacos. It might help if you study a bit of Bahamian geography.
Old 26-11-2019, 07:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Exumas are just fine. The hurricane only affected the Abacos. It might help if you study a bit of Bahamian geography.
Yes I understand how a map works. I'm guessing that the Exumas will get all their typical traffic + the Abacos traffic which doesn't seem fun.
Old 26-11-2019, 07:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
Hi, don't have experience in the Grenadines in August, but have sailed from Grenada to the Grenadines in May (once) and late April (once) and the weather was beautiful! Trades (if I remember correctly) start to drop off in May so wind may not be as strong. However, we had consistent 20 knots and gusts up to 30 knts when motor sailing up the lee side of Grenada to Carriacou. That passage from Port Louis to Carriacou is a rough one and not an ideal shake down sail. We only got rained on once all week and that was at the end of the trip when we left Union island for Port Louis Marina. If you go make sure you stop at Mayreau, one of my absolute favorite bays, go easy on the rum punch though its dangerous!
If you are doing moorings or sunsail consider doing a one-way from St Lucia down through the Grenadines (check in at Bequia) then on down to Grenada.

Good luck, may be doing the same trip in April this year if I can get my crew together and on the same page!
Thanks thought about the one way as well. Pushed it up to 10 days to do a loop just N of Tabago Cays
Old 26-11-2019, 07:40   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Typically the "rainy" season is June-December w/lighter air, but maybe higher in tstorms.
We were there in the late June into July and it wasn't too bad, but then again we like tropical weather.
Would think May would be the better time to go and also avoid any canes. Even though it is technically out of the zone, they still get trop storms pushing thru early in the typical cane season.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 07:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Typically the "rainy" season is June-December w/lighter air, but maybe higher in tstorms.
We were there in the late June into July and it wasn't too bad, but then again we like tropical weather.
Would think May would be the better time to go and also avoid any canes. Even though it is technically out of the zone, they still get trop storms pushing thru early in the typical cane season.

Bill O.
Gotcha. Appreciate the advice. I've been leaning towards that way as well. Thanks!
Old 26-11-2019, 07:51   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Yes I understand how a map works. I'm guessing that the Exumas will get all their typical traffic + the Abacos traffic which doesn't seem fun.
Don't want to flog a dead horse but why then did you post " Currently have a reservation for May 2020 in the Exumas but obviously that base is destroyed."

The Bahamas is suffering enough with the damage in Abaco and are encouraging folks to visit as tourism is a major part of their economy. Erroneous comments similar to the one you posted do not help. Dorian did not destroy anything in the Exumas.
Old 26-11-2019, 12:21   #10

Quote:
Thanks thought about the one way as well. Pushed it up to 10 days to do a loop just N of Tabago Cays
Make sure you make it to Bequia, haven't been there yet but it is on my list next time around. Should be doable with a 10 day itinerary... Make sure to account for check in and out of Grenada and SVG when building your sail plan. When you head back to Grenada you will probably want to stay in port Louis or close by the night before as the fuel dock can get very crowded in port Louis especially in the morning with everyone trying to return their boats and fill up by 10 am!

Port Louis is a great facility. Pool, bar and showers are top notch and very welcome on the last night. Enjoyed it very much. Be sure to eat at BB's crab shack while in Saint George. Slip way in Tyrell bay is also a great place to eat on Carriacou.

If you want to pamper your significant other, you can get a day pass and spa package at Palm island. It sounds expensive but the passes include lunch, and all you can drink, and use of all the facilities, a dinner package can be included as well. This is subject to availability so check with them before hand...

Good luck...
Old 26-11-2019, 12:27   #11

Boat: Discovery 50

We did St Lucia to Grenada (one way) in April, great weather and suspect May should be similar. Fantastic cruising area. August will be less good weather - hot,humid with great chance of rain and tropical storms. Bequia is a must and would strongly suggest one way trip if you can
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 17:22   #12

I'll have to call Moorings / Sunsail to get the details on the one way option. Assuming 10 days is a good length.
Old 27-11-2019, 12:06   #13

The one way option is $1300 for Moorings / Sunsail FYI
Old 27-11-2019, 12:12   #14

Boat: Discovery 50

I would negotiate - we paid GBP750 in early April for a Leopard 50 - you will be there slightly out of season - I would be very surprised if they won’t cut a deal. Maybe more so if you did the trip in reverse ?
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 07:22   #15

Don't forget the difference in air fare as well. Single tickets to St. Lucia and then from Grenada would cost more than a return to/from Grenada. We did the return trip from Grenada and, other than the first day, it wasn't that bad. Once you get to Carriacou any up wind sailing you may have you are behind the islands or have short sprints between so not overly exposed to swells. The only reason why we didn't get to Bequia is we only had 8 days and it would have been too rushed. With 10 days you could fit it in for sure could even spend a couple of days there. Then it is reaching all the way down from there.

After your up wind slog to Carriacou you can spend the night at sandy island or paradise beach, take a cab the next morning and checkout at Tyrell bay (don't think you can check out in Hillsborough anymore) and head to Chatham Bay (you can arrange for one of the restaurants on the beach to check in for you while you hang out drinking rum punch. ... it is a very relaxed peaceful bay). Once you are checked in you could make your way up to Mayreau or Tobago Cays for a day or two (most people stay a couple of days in TBC) then head to Bequai. On the way down, stop at what ever island you didn't stop at on the way up. Check out at Union the night before you head back to Carriacou or if you don't want to stop at the same place twice just head straight back to Port Louise, night on the docks and check in the next morning. The sail will take you all day so if you don't stop at Carriacou to check in, you need to leave pretty early from Union or PSV, palm island wherever you anchored for the night (which is why advisable to check out on union the night before.)

All that to say not necessary to do a one way charter if you want to save the cash and spend it on more rum punch or a bunch of nice dinners!

Tags
bareboat, boat, Grenada