Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 08:13   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Fractional Rig / Beneteau First 42 - ok to remove baby stay and inner forestay?

Had some technical difficulties tacking which I don't remember having when my Dad was around. The genoa kept getting caught on the inner stays and now I'm thinking my dad probably moved these when we were sailing upwind.

Can I attach these to the base of the mast in upwind/light conditions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-11 111116.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	257587  
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:52   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Fractional Rig / Beneteau First 42 - ok to remove baby stay and inner forestay?

Yes you can. Your Dad rigged it up to handle 3 quick sail changes. He’s awesome.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:59   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Fractional Rig / Beneteau First 42 - ok to remove baby stay and inner forestay?

If your concerned about your rigging just find the year they were last done. Most insurance companies demand rigging is replaced every 10 years. Classy Dad buying a FIRST.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
If your concerned about your rigging just find the year they were last done. Most insurance companies demand rigging is replaced every 10 years. Classy Dad buying a FIRST.
All new sails and rigging just before he passed. Sad he won't be able to enjoy them but I'm sure he will be laughing as we bugger them up!
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 11-05-2022, 14:47   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Enyar, I'm not familiar with that specific design, but disconnecting the staysail stay (the forward one of the inner two) is likely to be enough to avoid the genoa hangup and will not overly weaken the rig under modest conditions. When you try it out, watch the mast for pumping or bending in an unusual manner... but I doubt if it will be a problem for you.

In most designs, the baby stay (the aft one of the pair) is meant to control bend and avoid pumping, so best to leave it in place IMO.

And BTW, I applaud your efforts to maintain your emotional contact with your dad. I'm sure that he would approve and delight in your adventures.

Jim
Old 11-05-2022, 18:33   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Had some technical difficulties tacking which I don't remember having when my Dad was around. The genoa kept getting caught on the inner stays and now I'm thinking my dad probably moved these when we were sailing upwind.

Can I attach these to the base of the mast in upwind/light conditions?
Your dad's boat is a sloop and the inner stay was added on later for use in storm conditions. So, yes you can disconnect it and store it until needed.

That said, when it is being used you always tack the jib first and the inner sail, known as a staysail on a cutter, second...the inner sail keeps the jib from hanging up. It took me awhile to learn that after buying my cutter. Try it once before disconneting the inner stay for practice.

Good luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Old 12-05-2022, 08:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
Your dad's boat is a sloop and the inner stay was added on later for use in storm conditions. So, yes you can disconnect it and store it until needed.

That said, when it is being used you always tack the jib first and the inner sail, known as a staysail on a cutter, second...the inner sail keeps the jib from hanging up. It took me awhile to learn that after buying my cutter. Try it once before disconneting the inner stay for practice.

Good luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Thank you. We pretty much only use the genoa and the mainsail. I'll have to dig through these other sails to see if we have a jib or anything else.
Old 06-11-2022, 15:20   #8

Boat: Beneteau 461

I have a 6'roller on the baby stay and the 140% genoa never gets hung up there.
Jim Greer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau