Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 05:50   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Welland Canal oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I wonder if the velocity of the water under the hull was somehow a factor since, as boatpoker says, there's deep water all the way through that channel. If you add the perspective that the black boat was travelling downstream (with the flow) and red boat upstream (against the velocity)(or perhaps the opposite, I'm assuming the direction of the two boats).
You have the direction right - Alanis was headed for Duluth and Flo bound for Quebec. There's a flow in the canal, but it's not very strong, just what is released in locking. They were between locks 7 and 8 which is not actually that much lower than Erie

Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 01:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If this were in the St. Lawrence, that would make sense. But in the Welland Canal, probably not. Most of the flow from Lake Erie to Ontario goes through the Niagara River, not the Welland.
It doesn't matter that more volume flows through the Niagara River and over the Falls. What I'm talking about is velocity. Have you ever sailed in 11 knots of tide?

And Lodesman, the distance between Locks 7 and 8 make it more likely that there would be increased underwater current.

I'll be attending the IJC seminar on Friday and if I get a chance, I'll ask the Commissioner's perspective.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 02:09   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

There is no appreciable flow velocity in the canal. It looks like they might have been a bit fast for the allowed speed but hard to tell. Looks like failure to properly communicate. There is room for the two but the canal is far from spacious. We transited down in 2016. Tight in many places and we were forced aground at night by an up bound freighter.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 04:13   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
There is no appreciable flow velocity in the canal. It looks like they might have been a bit fast for the allowed speed but hard to tell. Looks like failure to properly communicate. There is room for the two but the canal is far from spacious. We transited down in 2016. Tight in many places and we were forced aground at night by an up bound freighter.
Somewhere over 100 transits of the canal in boats from 40 - 65' and never felt constricted or did not have lots of room. I dont know of any "tight" areas.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:40   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You know, I've been attending all of the IJC Webinars re Great Lakes water level heights and the volume outputs and flows, etc. (in fact, there's another one this Friday).

I wonder if the velocity of the water under the hull was somehow a factor since, as boatpoker says, there's deep water all the way through that channel. If you add the perspective that the black boat was travelling downstream (with the flow) and red boat upstream (against the velocity)(or perhaps the opposite, I'm assuming the direction of the two boats).

In the Webinars, they often mention that one of their major considerations is that high outflow rates precipitously increase the underwater velocity which dangerously affects the commercial shipping traffic's ability to manouvre at narrow channel points.

I wonder...
LittleWing77
There is very little current in the Welland.

My understanding is that the black ship is Canadian. Deck officers on Can/US ships are certified for the canal. The red ship is a saltie and would have a pilot.

Tags
canal