Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 07:06   #1

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'
Routing / Waypoints from FL Keys to Panama Canal

I am seeking information about sailing routes (or way points) from the Florida Keys to Panama Canal (then to San Diego). Any experience or way points used previously or information about prevailing winds / currents for the months of June and July are particularly appreciated.
rwells36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 08:26   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Routing / Waypoints from FL Keys to Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwells36 View Post
I am seeking information about sailing routes (or way points) from the Florida Keys to Panama Canal (then to San Diego). Any experience or way points used previously or information about prevailing winds / currents for the months of June and July are particularly appreciated.
From the keys you can go either east or west of Cuba - Going east (might be a bit of a hassle here with the gulfstream, gets you to BVI and from there it is a straight shot to the Cnal, winds and swells will be pretty much from behind. Time - 10 days from BVI

June and july are getting into the hurricane season, but if you keep a very sharp eye on the weather you'll be alright.

Once through the canal - the established route is to sail to Hawaii and loop around coming back to the US at SEattle or Oregon then turn south.

It is possible to go up the coast line but you'll be battling 0.5 to 2 knot current most of the way. There will be an 80% chance that the winds will be coming right on your nose at 20-30 knots (this means you be getting beaten up a lot).

Good chance of tropical storms in close to the coastline during this period also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, Panama, Panama Canal