Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 18:50   #1

Boat: Panda 38 & Pacific Seacraft Orion, that's two too many ;)
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 - Ventura, CA

1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27'. Out of the water on jack stands in storage yard outside Ventura, California.

Project boat with huge potential.

Yanmar 2GM20F diesel with low hours, new prop, new prop shaft, newer aluminum mast, Furlex 200 roller furling, stainless steel bowsprit, newfound metal opening ports, 7 jack stands. 3 new North Sails (never been out of bags), New stainless steel chainplates, liferaft, lots of parts and pieces, too much to list.

Needs interior build-out and other items. Drawing is the manufacturer's info. Bottom paint removed ready for barrier and paint.

$12,000. Will consider trade for similar value item(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8493.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	209777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8494.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	209778  

Name:	IMG_8495.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	209779   Click image for larger version

Name:	orion_27_mkii_drawing.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	209780  

Old 02-03-2020, 14:00   #2

Boat: Panda 38 & Pacific Seacraft Orion, that's two too many ;)
Re: 1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 - Ventura, CA

[The following is what I have been sending folks that have expressed interest in the boat.]

The boat was purchased (by original owner) as a "kit" boat at Pacific Seacraft - they used to sell their boats as "kits" and/or complete. The kit boat was the hull with deck installed as well as rudder. No liner was installed as owners could then build to their liking. I don't know how many kit boats were sold but most of them were the Orion 27, Flicka 20 and Mariah 31.

The original owner built what is best described as a modified "C" version and then went to the South Pacific, New Zealand and back to California with his wife and two children. The second owner modified it slightly and just sailed the boat. I bought the boat and because of a leaking stainless steel fuel tank, I had another interior roughed in.

In a nutshell, the layout is as follows - V-berth with storage under. Head to port with a Lavac toilet and sink. The main cabin with dinette roughed into port and galley to starboard. Both need trim and finishing. Just aft of the galley areas is a small storage area and a seat that is positioned looking directly aft with a chart table that is provided but out at the moment. Electrical panels (AC & DC) are new and to port.

The engine is a very low hour Yanmar 2GM20F with a new propeller shaft stuffing box, new propeller shaft and new propeller (not installed). To port is a quarter berth area with stainless steel water tanks below.

Some work is good and other I would re-do as I had someone do some work to help them out and they didn't do great work.

I have new 316L chainplates, 1X19 316 stainless steel wire (all slightly upsized), turnbuckles and all wires have Norseman fittings (18 total). Wiring is down as is the mast that is a replacement Selden mast and boom - the boom has a single line, double-reef system. The roller furling is also Selden Furlex 200S and a Selden solid vang is also provided. The mast was up once, the boat was not sailed and then mast removed and boat and gear took to storage where it is now. I also have all-new, never used, North, Mainsail, Staysail and Genoa.

Also provided are new Anderson self-tailing winches - (2) primaries and (2) others.

Newfound Metal opening ports are installed on the starboard cabin side but the port ones have been removed as the person that put them in didn't do a great job.

There are a lot of parts such as fasteners, Teak, trim, and other gear - I can't remember it all but I'll inventory it soon for the other folks that are interested.

The hull is LPU painted as well. Deck and cabin top need painting and non-skid. I also have new sheets of White Treadmaster non-skid sheets to do it all.

This was a purchase I made with the thought of taking the boat to the Northwest in the future so it never got the attention it deserved. I have two other boats that keep me very busy. I'm losing an embarrassing amount of money on this one but just need it to go to someone that will get her together and do something with her as my plans no longer include the boat.

I just don't have the time right now to finish the project and don't want to pay, someone, to do that just so someone else will enjoy it.

Heck, just the parts (engine, mast, sails, electrical, winches, etc.) are worth more than I'm asking when sold alone which I'll do if the boat doesn't sell in a month. Parting out is easier but more painful to see happen to a nice boat.

Feel free to call me on my mobile at 805-701-8160.

Ross
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8499.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	209890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8501.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	209891