Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 23:20   #1

Boat: Adams 40
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 - Advice Requested

Hi All,

I am currently taking a serious look at one of these boats. I'd appreciate any (sensible) advice about any and all matters regarding them. For instance, are they good cruising boats? Are there things specific to this type of boat that should I look for (or look out for) when assessing the boat? Your advice does not need to be confined to these questions alone.

I'm listening...

Thanks,
David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 00:12   #2

Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 - Advice Requested

I have owned two Jeanneau, a 2008 36i and a 2013 44DS, and I love them.

As with any boat, hire the best surveyor in the area and observe him going through the boat. Diesel and rigging inspections are also a must. An oil analysis on the diesel should only take a few days. The surveyor will probably be able to recommend a rigger and diesel mechanic. These should all be techs you choose, not the seller.

If you let the group know where you are and the year of the boat's manufacture, we can probably provide more info and recommendations.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 01:18   #3

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

Depending on the age, have a good look at the seacocks.
I have a 45.2 . A common problem with them is the support plate on the steering which can corrode with time. A reputable surveyor should be aware of these problems.
Generally I love these boats. I sailed mine from the UK to Greece with little or no problems.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 01:26   #4

Thanks for that information.

Where I am and where the boat is... Now they are two very different things. I'm in Australia. There are two boats. One is in the Caribbean while the other is in Europe. One is a 1996 version while the other is a 1997. Still working out which is better so I've sent questions off the the respective brokers and am awaiting replies which may take time.

Yes, as you've suggested, I was planning on getting all three inspections done - marine surveyor, diesel mechanic and rigger - as vendors and brokers can be loose with facts. Not sure I'll be able to be there though but definitely would like to be.
Old 20-07-2019, 01:31   #5

Thanks, Jeanneau Owner. That's two specific areas for the surveyor's instructions.

Like you both, I've sailed these boats but unlike you I've never owned one. My Adams is currently for sale.
Old 23-07-2019, 03:24   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I bought a second hand 36.2 in 2001 and it was about the age of the boats that you are looking at. Although I sold it some time ago I am still in contact with it as it is owned by a friend.

The boat is very well built. The teak joinery has stood up really well. There do not seem to have been any significant issues with it. The only things that the surveyor picked up when I sold was some minor water penetration into the rudder. So you might want to look closely at that. The hull itself was fine. The Yanmar is super reliable.

At the time I took the view that the Jeanneau was probably better built and designed that most of the mass market boats it was competing with. To get anything newer from them with the same quality and teak interior I had to go to the 49DS. That, having looked at the market, I went for another Jeanneau perhaps speaks for itself.

However, I would look hard at the history of the boats that you have in mind. If they have been chartered at any time you might want to consider the cost/downside equation.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 04:24   #7

Thank you, Alita. You have confirmed everything I've been told that the Jeanneau is at the top end of the mass produced boats. Going to another Jeanneau does speak highly of them.

And I'll definitely ensure that the rudder is checked carefully.

Again, thanks for contributing.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:16   #8

Hi OzWizz54

did you end up buying the Sun Oddyssey 42.2?

I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

Thanks!
Hunter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:40   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
I have owned two Jeanneau, a 2008 36i and a 2013 44DS, and I love them.

As with any boat, hire the best surveyor in the area and observe him going through the boat. Diesel and rigging inspections are also a must. An oil analysis on the diesel should only take a few days. The surveyor will probably be able to recommend a rigger and diesel mechanic. These should all be techs you choose, not the seller.

If you let the group know where you are and the year of the boat's manufacture, we can probably provide more info and recommendations.
Best post, ever! Very few people mention that a surveyor seldom does a complete boat analysis. For example, those that I have had do an external inspection of the engine (wear, leaks, etc) but you need to do an internal analysis (oil). Likewise, they seldom go up the mast but inspect deck level rigging. While helpful in understanding what is up there nothing beats a rigger. Of course, this all comes with a cost, but if you are serious for a boat as nice as proposed, you need to do a complete analysis - not just a survey.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau