Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 09:49   #1

Need ideas for sailing awning

Hi
We have a Morgan 25 and sail in the coastal SE -- long hot season! We are trying to come up with a solution for cockpit shade (even it's minimal) WHILE under sail in light wind conditions.

Shade would have to go under the boom. In addition we have a mainsail traveler / mainsheet chock that is positioned across the cockpit seats just above the tiller base. Mainsheet is attached to boom at traveler.

We can keep the traveler centered while sailing, but obviously the mainsheet would need to be adjusted periodically.

Had thought of an cover/awning that would attach forward at outter shrouds, run aft (perhaps with tie anchors along lifelines). But then what? We're struggling with an aft attachment. The backstay seems obvious as an attachment point, but we need to be able to adjust the main.

Any ideas?? We're desperate for shade, so function over beauty in this case! Thanks, in advance!
debtre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: Need ideas for sailing awning

Overtons.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	582F3A4C-2E9C-4751-A474-EED7D2AAF8CE.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	211095  
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 10:02   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Do you have a pic of your cockpit? Always helpful for others to see what you're working with to offer their best suggestions.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 16:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Do you have a pic of your cockpit? Always helpful for others to see what you're working with to offer their best suggestions.
Thanks for your reply. Given the age of the vessel (and fiberglass), and its sentimental value (our family bought it in 1971), hoping we don't have to do any drilling into the deck. Will try to attach photo
Old 23-03-2020, 16:34   #5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJBQLQU6q9DSgLZA8

This SHOULD be photo of the cockpit arrangement. Any help is greatly appreciated! My dad and mom designed and manufactured a fabulous sun shade for when at anchor/moored but looking for a something we can use under sail. I know we could just buy a bigger boat with a bimini, but this boat is like a member of the family. Not ready to give up on her yet!
Old 23-03-2020, 16:44   #6

Wish we had some pics of a bimini we made for our old boat. It had pvc arms coming off the stanchions (verticals) and the stern rail that attached to simple Forespar awning poles. Still needed to run fore/aft lines to hand rails and back rail. Wasn't as good as a full SS framed bimini (kept it up to 20 kts), but did add shade.

W/o even seeing pics of your boat, there is nothing wrong with doing a proper bimini w/hardware. Yes, this means drilling holes in the coaming, but its the best way to have a good secure bimini. Its progress for enjoyment of the boat and why suffer/getting a bad sunburn w/o a proper bimini?
Old 23-03-2020, 18:34   #7

I have a picture but can't figure out how the heck to post it. I don't have a URL to post -- as required by the photo icon on the reply message box. Suggestions?
Old 23-03-2020, 19:03   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, debtre,

Welcome aboard CF.

Here's a link about how to post a picture. I hope it helps: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-133457.html

If your boat has a dodger, I can describe a way to make a 1/2 awning, that you tack according to the time of day. Just mention it here in this thread, I'll take a look later to see.

For a temporary solution, consider lifeguard hats, which give quite a lot of protection, a circle of shade, like a sombrero....and keep on using sunscreen.

Ann
Old 24-03-2020, 09:17   #9

Boat: Hunter 30 G

From the picture, it looks like you could put a Bimini forward of the traveler.
Old 24-03-2020, 09:23   #10
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Howdy,

In defense of the lowly umbrella -

I had the same issue on our 30' ketch "Stella". I found that golf umbrellas were a fabulous, low cost, portable, deploy-able, stow-able addition to our inventory. If you get clever, you can add lines/shock cords to the umbrella and keep it in place even while sailing in a breeze. After you tack, you just re-position it to best position. Works like a charm at anchor too. As the sun goes low, so can the umbrella. With a sloop vs our ketch, you will have even more options for location.

The $7 initial investment is totally worth the risk. There are some, I'm sure that will poo-poo the idea of a trailer trash solution, but I've seen it since on gold-platers as well. Don't laugh until you try it.

Get a light colored one.

Cheers

Thom
s/v Oriane
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 09:25   #11

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtre View Post
Hi
We have a Morgan 25 and sail in the coastal SE -- long hot season! We are trying to come up with a solution for cockpit shade (even it's minimal) WHILE under sail in light wind conditions.
Great boat! I had a 1967 Morgan 24'.
I had the same issue and ended up getting rid of the traveler and going with a double mainsheet rig where each anchored to the corners of the cockpit. Then I used a short (fore and aft) bimini. I could have gone with a longer bimini which extended forward of the aft bulkhead of the cabin.
While the double mainsheet gave excellent sail control, a drawback is the amount of line required. If I were to do this again, I'd probably go with a Crosby rig. Can't sheet high but I'm a cruiser not a racer and the Crosby rig is self tending. Probably could go with mid boom sheeting with those old heavy spars but I wouldn't loose foot the main.
I didn't want a traveler on the bridgedeck as that is prime seating!
I never once missed barking my shins on that traveler track!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bimini clearance 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	211182   Click image for larger version

Name:	double mainsheet.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	211183  

Name:	Cygne today.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	211184  
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 09:41   #12

Boat: Pearson 10M

Tilly hat?
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 09:41   #13

Found an old ad for a M25 for sale showing a pic of their awning. Looks straight forward, will need to drill holes in the coaming for the bimini and possibly others for the eyelets to clip the for/aft straps.
Old 24-03-2020, 09:46   #14

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

I guess you could tie a line from your backstay to the mast with a quick disconnect and just tent over the line with your shade of choice. The quick disconnect would be important for tacking and jibing. Possibly something as simple as line tied to a fabric with snaps on it. That way if you had an inadvertent shift the snaps would just come apart.
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 09:57   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

To save drilling holes you could use the existing stanchions or stanchion bases as mounting points.

Additional stainless steel or aluminium posts / arms could be clamped on to them, either vertically straight up, or at an angle.

If some extra support / tension is required some guidelines could be run from the top of these additional posts to other existing fixed points on the deck, sidestays, backstay, and maybe even forward to the mast base.

Or you could have two (upside down) U shaped frames going across the cockpit. Again using the four conveniently placed stanchions as mounting points.

All of these type of parts can be bought and assembled yourself, so no need to have anything fabricated.

A similar system could also be done in PVC pipe if you want to save weight.

Some ideas to consider anyway.

Here is the photo that you linked to:

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing