Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 21:22   #1

Sailboat for sale in Hawaii

Hello every body I’m looking for a new project to refit out here in Kauai or any of the Hawaiian islands. I have scoured the old interweb looking for a 35 to 45 ft project boat .but I haven’t found any thing that peeks my interest or if I’d dose it’s always under contract when i do find it. So if any body is walking the dock and finds that size boat out here and it’s going for around 15 grand let me know

Ps I know it’s a long shot but it’s worth a try
Pps also I am a marine mechanic so large projects are ok
Brandoncrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 21:53   #2

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII
Re: Sailboat for sale in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncrash69 View Post
Hello every body I’m looking for a new project to refit out here in Kauai or any of the Hawaiian islands. I have scoured the old interweb looking for a 35 to 45 ft project boat .but I haven’t found any thing that peeks my interest or if I’d dose it’s always under contract when i do find it. So if any body is walking the dock and finds that size boat out here and it’s going for around 15 grand let me know

Ps I know it’s a long shot but it’s worth a try
Pps also I am a marine mechanic so large projects are ok
You interested in a Celestial 48? Young couple who bought it in late 2018 relisted it shortly thereafter, then leftist in its HA berth and flew to their former boat in Costa Rica. They want way too much for it, but have a feeling they may take a lot less just to be clear of it.

I had the broker give me Ty's email addy so I could ask him more about it, but the broker said they are likely sailing to HA from Costa Rica. That was about a week ago. If you rein HA, you could make a better offer on it than I can.

Here's the listing - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ckpit-3469284/

And here is a series of YouTubes they did about it -

They have a few others where they talk about how the PO's closed off the deck fills, plus a lot of other stuff.

ADDITION Oops! Just saw the $15K. Nevermind.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 23:36   #3

Man that would be about perfect to bad it’s out of my budget I would have to try and get a loan some how to get it but it checks off most of my boxes on a perfect balance between an old full keel boat and a new liner built boat
Old 01-04-2019, 00:20   #4

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Best place to buy a boat off disappointed/horrified couples wannabe globetrotters is the Philippines.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:19   #5

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncrash69 View Post
Man that would be about perfect to bad it’s out of my budget I would have to try and get a loan some how to get it but it checks off most of my boxes on a perfect balance between an old full keel boat and a new liner built boat
Yeah, me too. However, it leaks badly, windows and deck. The deck needed replacing a few years ago, but instead, they sanded it down to very thin, then epoxied over the missing plugs and cracks. No genset, most of the running rigging needs replacing. Yada, yada, yada. Then there is the interior.

As to what they claim is new since 2015, I would want to see the receipts. It appears this couple paid cash, didn't get a survey, and they have already said the PO lied to them. Even the PO's claim that they disconnected the deck fills to keep sea water out of the tanks doesn't make sense to me.

The only good features worth money seems to be a solid hull, swageless mechanical fittings, what looks like new chain plates, and the sails appear to be good for a year or two.

I did a rough cost/refit/upgrade analysis on the boat, and as much as they may think they will get more for it in Seattle or SF, if it goes more than $35K, I hope they take it, but I would be surprised if it did.

It's going to cost them to bring it to the US - liferaft, batteries, some new lines, moorage fees, licensing, .... Since you are in HA anyway, I'd offer what you can afford and see what happens. The answer is always 'no' if'n ya don't ask.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:42   #6

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Aloha , Brandon

Just some ideas.

We actually lived for nearly 10 years on Kauai, next to Nawiliwili Harbor, at Banyan Harbor.

We noticed quite a few boats at anchor over long periods of time, in the protection
of Ha'upu and Kipu mountains there in the harbor. There might be some easy
pickens laying to their hooks.

Also, you might contact the Nawiliwili Yacht Club, and they might know someone
who is thinking of selling their boat. Pretty small YC, and the word would probably be
out if someone was selling their boat.

Also, with the Y.C, You could contact them, and maybe offer to crew on thursday
night races and then party up at the YC after the race and meet more people.
Talk story with them, and who knows. The more people you know in sailing, the
better the chance of learning what might be on the market. Leave your contact info
with some of them.

Might also see if they have a newsletter, and put in a small notice of precisely
what you are looking for.

Otherwise, Oahu would have more vessels available for sail.

You already mentioned you were walking the docks, and that will not take long
at Nawiliwili.

Another idea , instead of looking for boats for sail, give some of the local
boat mechanics a call. They might also have an insight on boats that need
repair that the owner does not want to spend the money on....hence a
ready made project. However, make sure you deal with the owner, in personal
contact.

That about sums up and exhausts my ideas. We moved off island about four
years ago, but recently went back a few months 2018 for a fabulous three
week visit....so we do not have any up to date scoops.

Good fortune...

Denny
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 16:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

I've got one, not exactly a project boat but needs a little work, I'll finance it, your 15gs will more that cover the down payment. PM me.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 17:24   #8

Well you got me interested send me a pm with the infor
Old 01-04-2019, 23:19   #9

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Best place to buy a boat off disappointed/horrified couples wannabe globetrotters is the Philippines.

Exactly. And, though getting Marine quality parts/supplies aren't as easy to obtain as in the States, as long as you remember the difference between ordeal and adventure is ATTITUDE, the materials, labor, and living expenses are cheaper for almost everything in the Philippines. Plus, it is just as beautiful as in Hawaii.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 23:56   #10

But here I work for a sailing charter company so I have a good collection of parts and the tools and help to refit a boat
Old 02-04-2019, 06:29   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

There is a boat called Phidelia there. (Used to be spelled Fidelia). 40' one of a kind strip or cold moulded wood/epoxy. Was built on the island by the late Gene Wells. Was for sale cheap but I am not seeing the ad anymore but probably still available. The problem that you will have is where to keep a boat there. There are no private marinas and the waiting list for a slip or mooring is long.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:26   #12

Yah that one did sale but it was also a race style with a narrow berm and had sunk twice in its slip I’m looking more for a full keel slow and steady type less of a racer
Old 12-04-2019, 02:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Hi Marc1, can you elaborate on where I might find a boat in the Philippines? I have searched but I dont see many of them listed. Is there a particular location or website that you know of?
Thanks !
Ellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, for sale, hawaii, sail, sailboat, sale