Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-11-2010, 09:53   #1

Beneteau Family Tree

I am starting to reconsider my thoughts on purchasing a 37' to 40' Beneteau. There is so much conflicting information regarding production, coastal, offshore, bluewater boats that it is hard to comprehend whether the Beneteau's are a capable and quality boat. Opinions vary and I originally dismissed them entirely due to fit and finish details (e.g. peeling veneers, missing cotter pins...). There are definitely things about them that I do not like: iron keel, in-mast furling, undersized standing rigging & running gear, european veneers.... Though, my feeling is that Beneteau has nailed the price, value, features vs. performance in production boats.

I'm trying to understand the Beneteau product lines or models over the years and whether one model, year, size stands out from the rest. From what I can tell there are: First, Oceanis, and numbered series. What are the differences, especially with older boats (mid 80's to current)? Are they the same hull, construction, with First having more racing/performance gear, mumbered series with cruising accomodiations? Oceanis??? For each, are there particular model years that have proven to be better designed and built? Are there models to avoid entirely.

Thanks,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau