Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 09:20   #31

Re: Beneteau Idylle 15.5 - potential project

There’s a reason that boat has been mostly unused for almost 20 years. And with a locked up engine and significant water damage inside, it’s even worse.

IMO you’d be better off spending $50-$75k upfront for a boat that’s a bit smaller and easier to manage, but that’s also been maintained.
Porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:30   #32

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Re: Beneteau Idylle 15.5 - potential project

I purchased a 1985 Beneteau Idylle 13.5 that sat in the boatyard for 13 years after the PO had the camshaft break after a piece of metal fell into the gears. She was in tough shape and took a LOT of work and money put into her to bring her back to the living!

After having the engine removed, repaired, and replaced, stripping the iron keel to bare metal, treating, coating, and antifoulant applied, new rigging, mainsail, autopilot, windlass, bimini and dodger, shaft, cutlass bearing, and a bunch of smaller things I am totally happy with her!

By shopping smart, reusing or refurbishing existing equipment, and doing most of the labor myself (except the engine and rigging) I have kept the costs lower and the best thing is that I don't have a loan on her and didn't pay tons of taxes to the man!

I have dreamed of gettng a 15.5 myself but really don't need the extra length or expenses of the larger boat! I HAVE been watching the market and know where some great deals are! SOMETIMES its cheaper to buy a boat in better condition and that would certainly get you on the water quicker! It took me a year to splash my 13.5 because I am only in South Florida for 4 months in the winter.

Do you mind telling me which Idylle you are looking at? garthbirdsey@hotmail.com
birdsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, project