Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 08:43   #1

Boat: 1983 Cape Dory Cutter 30'
restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Hi, am looking at a "cheap" deal on hurricane damaged newer Catamaran.

I am "handy", own a 2004 sprinter van that I have lived in for 3+ years, work on everything mostly by myself, repairs, etc., can watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull, as this thing was blown from the dry dock stands. It has no water damage though, as in it was not submerged. It was demasted. It needs extensive fiberglass work. According to the seller, fiberglass repair is estimated at $20k, or $3k in materials and my work. I opt for my work and the $3k. There is a 5 year old mast available from a similar boat for $20k. There is some inside damage, damage to roof from falling mast, lifelines damaged, diesel motors work good, a/c and electrical/ electronics all work good. windlass, chain, anchor ~ good condition.

Any advice? In these current times, there is not much else to do but to try and turn this back into a useable boat.

I can live on the boat while fixing according to the seller.

Thanks!
valleyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:02   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Ask the seller if he would be willing to have the “$20k” work done first and you pay asking plus 20%. Chances are he won’t want to do it because as you’ve described it, it’s more than $20k in damage.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:20   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What kind of Catamaran and how is it constructed? Please post detailed pics of the damage for a proper evaluation.

It's the unseen damage or damage behind non-removable parts that will get you.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:20   #4

I think you are right, but even if double or triple that, and I can do much of the work myself, its still worth it for me.
Old 31-03-2020, 17:39   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
Hi, am looking at a "cheap" deal on hurricane damaged newer Catamaran.

I am "handy", own a 2004 sprinter van that I have lived in for 3+ years, work on everything mostly by myself, repairs, etc., can watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull, as this thing was blown from the dry dock stands. It has no water damage though, as in it was not submerged. It was demasted. It needs extensive fiberglass work. According to the seller, fiberglass repair is estimated at $20k, or $3k in materials and my work. I opt for my work and the $3k. There is a 5 year old mast available from a similar boat for $20k. There is some inside damage, damage to roof from falling mast, lifelines damaged, diesel motors work good, a/c and electrical/ electronics all work good. windlass, chain, anchor ~ good condition.

Any advice? In these current times, there is not much else to do but to try and turn this back into a useable boat.

I can live on the boat while fixing according to the seller.

Thanks!
"Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull"

is not something you can

"watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah".
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:04   #6

Yeah I wasn't thinking so for the keels, just the rest of it maybe.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:24   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

I bet there is not a single professional boatbuilder anywhere who would live on that cat with the amount of fibreglass grinding you have to do.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:56   #8
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Have a look at Parley Revival YouTube channel.
They have done exactly what you are suggesting albeit different damage but watch and see what you think.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:07   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

As one whose boat was damaged in Hurricane Irma in the BVI I can inform you that every single one of the "good" deals in the affected islands have long been sold and restored.

Anything still left was skipped over by the professionals for good reason.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:29   #10

Does anybody think that even if he undertakes the repairs and manages to do a serviceable job that he would ever be able to get boat insurance...?

I have no idea, but it all sounds like quite the uphill battle to me.

Plus, I echo Fore and Aft's point that grinding fiberglass is sufficiently horrid. When the glass-like shards get into your skin, they itch like crazy and take (what seems like forever) for your skin to shed...

Good luck - that would never be a project I'd sign up for!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:47   #11

Boat: Looking now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
They have done exactly what you are suggesting albeit different damage but watch and see what you think.
I'm thinking that's probably where he's getting the idea..
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:28   #12
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

If you have the knowledge and time (and determination!) to fix it then you may get a boat you could not otherwise afford. Whether you make any money when you sell, who knows, with out more information.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:34   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Beat me to it.

However, apparently different than the OP, Colin had signficant boat related skills already.

I met him recently at a regatta he helped organize in Bocas del Toro, Pamama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
If you have the knowledge and time (and determination!) to fix it then you may get a boat you could not otherwise afford. Whether you make any money when you sell, who knows, with out more information.
A 40+ catamaran can chew thru a LOT of cash per year. Do you have the cash flow to afford it once you have it?

For example, Parley Revival, mentioned above, was going without insurance because they did not.

Parley Revival's channel would be good for the OP to watch to get an idea of the massive effort involved in making a restoration like this.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. ...

Thanks!

I put my way through college restoring European sports cars so I am very sympathetic to your idea. It appeals to me. One lesson I learned was to be very diligent in establishing the post restoration value BEFORE purchasing. In my case I found a niche of doing deferred maintenance and minor repair/rehab on up market but not exotic vehicles (1-3 days work) was way more profitable than major effort on the really special cars I wanted to work on. So decide if this is business or way to save money in getting something you want to keep.
If this is business...i.e. you either need to or intend to sell it...then think very very hard about what you realistically can sell it for.
Is your estimate of restored value based on what people have actually paid for a boat of similar vintage and usage? OR much more realistically is it what people have paid for a boat of similar vintage, usage and major damage that was restored by an uncertified amateur.
Oh, and then you will need to discount that value further as it looks like the boat market may be headed for a significant downturn.

There is a very good chance that even if you do an outstanding job the market will steeply discount a hurricane damaged / amateur repaired boat. There is a good chance that the person who buys it from you is the one who gets the great deal, not you.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hurricane