Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 02:16   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
65 ft commercial sailing trimaran

$188,000 (OBO subject to Court approval)
Langkawi Malaysia

This cruising trimaran was built in California and now operates under a Langkawi license that is for up to 60 passengers and 5 crew members.

2019 conversion:stainless steel railings; two swim slides; two deck level toilets; a 65 passenger life raft; tables and seating were for 60 passengers as well as a new swim platform.

Prior to the conversion this was a comfortable cruising vessel with a modest rig capable of 8-10 knots under sail. The rig is still present and the sails are still in excellent shape so the vessel can be returned to cruising, or the vessel can continue its new life as a commercial money making vessel. There is no reason the vessel cannot be operated in Langkawi. A new license would be required to transfer the vessel and operation in a different Malaysian city. Note: Vessel is licensed but not flagged in Malaysia. A full flag on the vessel in Malaysia is about $400 USD. This would allow taking the vessel outside Langkawi. The previous US flag can also be reestablished if you are a US citizen.

Tourism is currently down right now, and so now is the perfect time to buy this vessel at a good price and get it ready for their eventual return. She needs bottom painting. Topsides could also do with a refresh at this point. The vessel can be crane lifted out right in Langkawi or taken to a nearby slipway.

The interior photos of the vessel were taken before the commercial conversion and some elbow grease will be required to get the vessel interior back up to the level seen in some of the photos prior to the conversion. The Yamaha piano is no longer aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200218_105632.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	209188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200218_103630.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	209189  

Name:	IMG_20200218_103617.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	209190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200218_103747.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	209191  

Name:	IMG_20200218_105434.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	209192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200218_131424.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	209193  

Name:	370886.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	209194   Click image for larger version

Name:	490959.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	209195  

Name:	831528.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	209196   Click image for larger version

Name:	831529.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	209197  

Name:	831531.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	209198   Click image for larger version

Name:	831525.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	209199  

pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 01:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: 65 ft commercial sailing trimaran

There are three ways to get this vessel out of the water.

Crane and slipway and a really really big travel lift.

If you haul out in Langkawi, there is one 150 ton crane based on the island that rents at $3750 USD per day. I discussed the lift with them, and they gave me a preliminary yes. However, the 150 ton rating is only good for a very narrow swing radius and short boom. I think you would be better off with the 250 ton crane that makes frequent trips to the island. Obviously, that crane would cost more especially if you also have to pay for it to come to Langkawi just for your lift.

Your three choices for yards on Langkawi are:

The do it yourself yard at Port Langkawi called B&V Marine.
This would be your cheapest option, especially since the 150 ton crane is based at this port. There is also a chance that a visiting ship may have a large crane on it too. You might not even involve B&V Marine in the equation since you can also simply rent some dock space directly from Port Langkawi. As you can see in the photograph B&V's yard is essentially full already.

Northern Shipyard just to the East of Port Langkawi.
These guys are really professional and believe it is best to use the 250 ton crane. I confirmed already their travel lift is too small. They normally bring bigger vessels out on rollers, however, their rollers are only 1.8 meters in diameter. The issue with rolling the vessel out of the water is the rudder and a small fixed dagger board located just under the engine room. (The vessel has two dagger boards and the main dagger board is currently in the up position.) Northern is also a Yanmar dealer and would be interested in quoting a new engine. Personally, I don't think a new engine is needed and provided the current engine is cared for well it will last a few more decades.

Boustead Langkawi which is right next to Port Langkawi.
Boustead could also use a 250 ton crane. They also have a travel lift that just might be large enough. I didn't meet with them since they are mainly a super yacht type of yard and I have never had that kind of budget. Boustead is likely to be the most expensive option unless they can use their travel lift. If they can use their travel lift and you don't have to pay for the 250 ton crane, then they might be cost competitive with Northern.

The vessel has to be prepared before lifting by crane. Specifically, four lifting plates need to be fabricated from plate steel and bolted onto the box walls. Access is located under the four deck lids. This could be just plain carbon steel plates since they are only needed for the lifts can be removed when not in use.

Owing to local labor costs in Langkawi and crane rental, it is likely less expensive to pay the fee to have the vessel flagged. Once flagged you can travel to another port where there is a slipway that is wide enough. Don't bother with the smaller slipways like Ratanachai in Phuket or the one on Penang. They aren't wide enough. The slipway I used last time was across the channel from Ratanachai.

I would check one other place. Batam Island Indonesia. It would take a few bucks worth of fuel to get down to Batam Island, however, their labor rate is likely to be best. Go in person to confirm anything first.

Attached are some pictures and measurements you can work with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Port Langkawi.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	209274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Northern Shipyard.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	209275  

Name:	Bausted Shipyard.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	209276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phuket Slipway.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	209277  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Haul out photos (2).pdf (1.40 MB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf Haul out points.pdf (100.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 23-02-2020, 02:29   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Hi, out of interest what was the core used on this vessel?

And thanks for the heads up on the phuket yard, I knew about Rattanaichai but not this one

Asian Phuket Marine and Dockyard Co.,Ltd.

I'm guessing PSS Satun was no good due to beam?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 03:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Hi, out of interest what was the core used on this vessel?

And thanks for the heads up on the phuket yard, I knew about Rattanaichai but not this one

Asian Phuket Marine and Dockyard Co.,Ltd.

I'm guessing PSS Satun was no good due to beam?
Yes the photo from Phuket is of Asian Phuket Marine and their approach is much bigger. Ratanachai quoted me an astronomical price when I first went there in 2010. What I didn't realize is they didn't want to admit their slipway was too small and so were just quoting me a giant number to make me go away.

I was very impressed with the professionalism of Asian Phuket Marine when I hauled out there. They came out to my vessel and looked and measured. They also prepared their rail car with the beams shown in the photograph and allowed me to keep the vessel on the rail car the whole time I was on the hard at no extra charge. The reason you find me talking about other slipways like the one in Batam is I paid them a visit in December 2018. Their yard, which used to be chock full of vessel including yachties, was nearly empty. I didn't recognize the staff in the office and I concluded they were under new management and must have raised the prices.

I have attached a photo from Google Earth of PSS Satun. Several yachties have recommended doing the haul there. Using Google Earth it looks like it will be very close. It is close enough to justify a physical measurement since doing it using Google Earth isn't exact. I traded emails with the slipway on Penang which is why I know for sure they are too small.

Going to places in advance and measuring is something I have gotten used to. One 15 goes into a panic every time I visit because they have a strange super yacht rule that won't allow me to use their super yacht section. As a consequence I am using over by their fuel dock. KK allows me to use the super yacht area. Admiral Yacht Club says I am too big to fit anywhere. I am really happy where I am now on Marble Jetty. Customers can just walk aboard from the dock. The approach is also quite protected from the worst winds.

Decks, especially the rounded sections of the deck, are epoxy soaked fiberglass, then closed cell foam, then marine plywood, then another layer of epoxy soaked fiberglass. The foam was factory precut with channels which allowed it to shape over a curve. I began noticing a few years back a slight give when I walked over some of the deck areas. I did some drilling to look inside and found no rot. I concluded that the foam over the years was compressed from heavy foot traffic. I have had some very big American crew. Now don't laugh, I solved the problem with ketchup bottles and Pioneer concrete crack epoxy. This slow cure epoxy flows into small cracks just as the name implies. Along the top of the ridge I drilled a row of holes and then squeezed in this long cure epoxy and allowed it to flow down towards the outer edge of the hull. Air out, epoxy in, and epoxy bonded the fiberglass with the inner marine plywood. I was very happy with the result since the decks now feel as firm as a concrete sidewalk.

The sides of the vessel are a sandwich of end grain balsa. This is an engineered product that comes in planks that were bent to shape the hull and then epoxied together. To preserve this wood you have to follow procedures and use epoxy when drilling into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PSS Satun.png
Views:	146
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	209278  
Old 11-03-2020, 00:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

We have elected to haul out at Northern Shipyard Langkawi. After much consideration we decided to go with the 1.8 meter rollers instead of the 250 ton crane. The quote from the crane company came in at 130,000 RM ($32,500). The reason it was so high is we have to cover the round trip cost to get the crane onto the island and 10 days of charges while the crane waited to put his back in the water.

The issue with using the rollers has been the racing rudder. Northern Shipyard has basically solved the problem by allowing us to anti-foul while on the ramp. Under this plan the vessel doesn't need to be moved around the flat yard.

I have elected to stay with International paint and two pack primer with Ultra 2. I like the fact International now publishes the copper content right on the label.

I already have enough paint aboard to redo the topsides at the same time.

Someone who wants to snap this boat up will get a fully working, and licensed vessel with fresh bottom paint.

And now for the bad news.

Price change. Since we have solved the bottom paint problem and will deliver the vessel good to go for several years the price is being bumped up by $100,000 USD.

Given the size and number of tourists, you still will have less than a one year pay back on the vessel.
Old 18-01-2021, 10:57   #6

Is this vessel still for sale? Is it possible to get contact info for the owner??
AKcanaiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 07:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

The vessel was sold in 2019 to a Chinese business person who owns three other multihulls. In 2020 he stilled owed money and asked me to find someone to buy him out. Hence paying my balance. When the rules on operation during the pandemic allowed him to operate he changed his mind and paid me in full.

I predict long term, unless Chinese tourism returns to Malaysia, he will be anxious to sell again. He may very well be to that point again. I am unable to PM you. Can you PM so I can send you his email.

Tags
sailing, trimaran, sail, commercial