Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2020, 19:48   #1

Sailing from Seattle to Astoria.

We just purchased a 29 foot Bayfield in Seattle. We are wanting to sail it from Seattle to Astoria. I have heard the best time to do so is in June or July. Is there any truth in this? I myself will not be doing the trip. My partner and his Father will be doing the trip.
We have sailed in the Columbia River with our 26 foot Clipper Marine for over 7 years. Last year we took it from Des Moines, Wa to Friday Harbor through Deception pass. It was an amazing trip.
Any tips would be great.
Thanks
Holly & Eric
FamilyTime2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 21:50   #2

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
Re: Sailing from Seattle to Astoria.

First, I haven't done this trip, so those more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in, but from what I have read, it is all about the timing of the N Pacific High and how much you care about sailing vs. motoring. Obviously the summer has fewer storms, but you can find good weather windows for that short trip starting much earlier than July. It's all about NW winds and avoiding the SE storms. I mean, other than air temperatures. You are less likely to get fog before Fogust, that's for sure. Good luck and have fun planning!
Old 12-04-2020, 22:05   #3

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

June should be fine and if you're flexible even May can work. Just keep an eye on the weather before departure. It's a short trip.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 20:33   #4

Thank you! I have heard it's a fairly short and if planned out is fairly a good trip.
Old 13-04-2020, 20:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTime2020 View Post
Thank you! I have heard it's a fairly short and if planned out is fairly a good trip.
It is or at least can be. Something els you need to concern yourself with is the Columbia river Bar. You want to hit this at the right time even if it means sailing back and forth for hours.

I'll leave a port with the expectation of going so fast and getting there at a specific time. I always plan for a slower than normal trip which builds in a cushion factor for unexpected delays. Crab pots, engine deciding to not work flawless;y, less wind etc. If nothing is slowing me down then I'll slow my progress down to the point that my arrival will be at the optimum time. Easy to slow a boat down, not so easy to go faster.
Old 14-04-2020, 08:47   #6

Boat: Camano 41

We didn't stage at Neah Bay on the way out of Juan de Fuca, but many do to be sure of the window of passage. You can also provision everything except alcohol.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 08:48   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27'

The Bar, The Bar and if I might suggest...The Bar. It's not called the Graveyard of the Pacific for nothing. I am a bit sensitised due to past experiences.

have a great trip.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 09:14   #8

Re The Bar, The Bar...

If the sea conditions are not raging the bar is really no big deal but timing is a big part of that equation. Crossing the bar in winter with storms can be exciting. But at that time of year shouldn't be an issue. This falls under the check your weather. As part of the coast guard, Windy, Predict Wind checks I always check the surf reports and forecasts. Those are incredibly accurate. Check surf reports along your route.

It's an overnight trip from Neah Bay to Astoria.

You should have towing insurance. I required this on every boat/yacht I delivered. Lot of crab traps out there and this includes off season as some get blown out of position and lost. Mask. snorkel, fins, wetsuit and a sharp knife if you're so inclined. Spare fuel filters is standard and knowing how to swap them out and bleed the engine.
Old 14-04-2020, 09:32   #9

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
The Bar, The Bar and if I might suggest...The Bar. It's not called the Graveyard of the Pacific for nothing. I am a bit sensitised due to past experiences.
Like Hatteras or even Whale Key passage... everyone fears them. They can be a bit rough in bad weather but most people do not go out in bad wx. in normal weather it is just another bar. Granted if a big sea is coming in from the west even in calm wind it can be a bit western. But most times if you catch it on the flood it is just another piece of ocean. I used to cross it twice a week, all winter long, towing between Portland Or. and N Vancouver island. Winter is not a great time off this coast, but even so, I only had to wait a few times, steaming in 4 mile circles...

Just use common sense, (and watch Windy.com) and enjoy the trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 09:58   #10

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Neah bay is a good place to anchor before leaving. Watch out for out going tide and west wind on straits of Jaun de Fuca. Time your departure for the Columbia river bar. Don't think you are going to sail all the way, big West swell sucks, wind on the nose sucks. Watch for crab pots even 10 miles out.
With that said it can be a lovely trip with a very flat ocean. Don't get in a hurry.
I did it twice every Summer for 15 years as I had 10 weeks off. That's why for the last 4 years my boat has lived in Olympia, Wa.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:40   #11

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We did this trip in June of last year going North. More important than the exact day or month is the weather window including sea state. You want the smallest wave height possible for a comfy trip. We use and recommend PredictWind, their departure planner worked well for us to catch weather windows while we harbor hopped from SF Bay to Puget Sound. Columbia River bar is @5 miles long and best to carefully time entering it. Even in fairly settled conditions we found it to be a bit challenging but nothing an experienced sailor can’t handle with a decent engine. Astoria was great, we spent 2 weeks there.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 12:58   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

As others have said, getting the Columbia River bar right is the most important task. Ideally you will arrive and cross the actual bar (a short distance) at low slack water, then once inside the flood will carry you up the river, stopping at Astoria or even Cathlamet depending on how you feel, time of day, etc.

Getting out of the Straight of Juan de Fuca can be quite the effort, as the prevailing winds are out of the NW. Start at Port Townsend, or better Port Angeles, and get up to Neah Bay for an overnight anchorage (or longer if needed to get the right weather). With luck there will be a NW wind and the trip down the coast will be easy. If a stop is desired before the Columbia then stop at Westport in Grays Harbor. I would avoid La Push unless there was great need. Allow extra time so that crossing the bar at slack is assured. BTW you do not want to be in the Columbia near Astoria when the tide ebbs as the current can flow faster than your boat can move - it is very impressive. If you stay at Astoria a visit to the Maritime Museum is worth doing.

I have crossed the bar when it was like glass; we used the opportunity to store the waypoints for each buoy in the LORAN. I have also been stuck waiting for the ebb to end, with huge rolling waves on the bar. Please plan the trip with that timing, and a good weather window, or wait until it is better. BTW Grays Harbor is also a river mouth and the tidal current inside the breakwater can be strong so also plan that timing if going in there.

Greg

Edit: Don't wait until summer as the frequency of fog goes up and afternoon winds can be quite strong out of the NNW. May or early June would be ideal.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 13:11   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Best advice about bar crossing that I've seen is ALWAYS on flood tide in either direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barcrossing.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	212884  
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 18:52   #14

I’ve made the trip into Astoria many times, I work dredging that bar so I know it pretty well...I just brought my boat from LaConner, WA to Cathlamet, WA via Astoria, OR in October, at the time, the bar was closed to recreational traffic. Fortunately, my 56’ twin screw R/V handed it like a champ.
Best advice I can give ...just as important as timing your trip for a good weather window is timing your arrival to a slack(ish) tide. It is not uncommon to hit weather when coming out of the Straight and around Cape Flattery that might take considerably longer than one has anticipated. To that end, REALLY pay attention to your arrival time and if you have to put into Grays Harbor to better time your passage over the bar so be it.
There is nothing so anticlimactic as planning a voyage to cross a bar (any bar) at the first daylight slack after the ebb, showing up as scheduled, and having a completely uneventful passage as a result, but it is a good habit to get into when coastal sailing.
...my first “live aboard” was a 30’ Clipper Marine center cockpit in Humboldt Bay.
captjamied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 17:02   #15

Thank you all for replying, I am going to be sitting down with the 2 of them that will be making this trip and they can start planning. Thank you all for the advice it doesnt go unnoticed or under appreciated.
We decide to take her for a spin this weekend in the Puget Sound. It really is a beautiful place and I'll be sad when we don't get to see these beautiful views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15874272866752645802425969839460.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	213313  

Tags
sail, sailing, seattle