Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2022, 00:08   #1

Wanted Catalina 25 with Trailer and Swing Keel

Hello,

I am new to this forum and excited to become a member of the sailing world. I do live in Arizona and I am just getting started with sailing. I am looking for my first boat and have read a large amount of information regarding types and sizes to start with. I have recently completed the ASA 101 course and would like to purchase a sailboat that I can trailer to the surrounding lakes in Arizona as well as over to San Diego for some Coastal trips in the ocean. I also would like a sailboat that I can plan some overnight trips in both Arizona and California. I have searched on several listings and unfortunately there are fewer listings in the Southwest, especially Arizona, compared to the East Coast. I would like to have this boat for a few years to gain my sailing experience before moving to a larger cruising sailboat. I truly would appreciate any feedback or referrals on current listing of boats for sale near me.

I have budgeted between $2,000 to $5,000 for the boat and another $5,000 for improvements and upgrades. I also am willing to spend more on the boat purchase if the owner has already invested some money on repairs and upgrades for the boat. From what I have researched, this budget is in line with what most people have said about your first sailboat purchase. Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to hearing from anyone that might be able to give me advice or a lead for my first sailboat.
Rich317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 01:16   #2

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Re: Wanted Catalina 25 with Trailer and Swing Keel

Hi Rich,

Good luck with your search. I tried to find a C25 with trailer as my first boat , they do come along periodically, but didn't see one come up at an affordable price during my search timeframe. I finally gave up and bought a c22 and used it as a trailer sailer. I think for moving between pleasant, powell, havasu etc, given the significant distances and hassle with putting the mast up and down ("stepping" & "unstepping" respectively), the C22 makes a better *trailer* sailer than a C25 because you can set it up more easily step and unstep the mast by yourself. Either one could be set up with a remote control power wench (which is what I did on the C22) to allow you to step and unstep the mast by yourself. While it can be done with either boat, just easier due to the very light mast on the C22. You could use a C22 in San Diego, but it would be really a bay sailer and the interiors are small and really work for at most 2 people comfortable and only for a couple of days comfortably. If you are going to do mostly lakes and move frequently between them and do short 1-2 day events, the C22 is probably better. If you are going to move less often and want to do longer stays, the C25 is probably what you need. After I had my C22 awhile, a very inexpensive deal came up on a C27 with a very nice trailer. I snapped that up and sold the (fixed up) C22 for a profit. The C27 would never make a good trailer sailer but storing it mast up and keeping it on one lake (in Missouri) works well for me. I pay for a slip for the summer/early fall months and store it mast up on its trailer in the winter months. Look on craigslist for stuff like this: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/b...536349720.html The swing keel that this one offers is really essential for a trailer sailer. My C22 actually had a fixed fin keel so it was very high on the trailer and very awkward to get in and out of and move around on while it was on the trailer.

Here is another, looks even nicer, same price. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/b...533633095.html
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 01:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
... given the significant distances and hassle with putting the mast up and down ("stepping" & "unstepping" respectively), the C22 makes a better *trailer* sailer than a C25 because you can set it up more easily step and unstep the mast by yourself.
Rich, I agree with Stephen. I really enjoyed my Catalina 25, but trailering for each use the first couple of years got old. It was a solid 3 hours from reaching the parking lot until she was ready to launch. Finding a suitable launch ramp was also an issue, as I needed 6' of water at the trailer wheels to float my swing keel. I put her in a slip for the season the last year. But the C25 was comfortable for two people, and we used it for a couple of week-long trips in addition to many weekend outings.

As for the finances, I bought mine for $7K, put another $28K into her, and sold her for $6.5K. That included the trailer.

Good luck with your search.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 03:30   #4
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25

I've got a C25, a tall rig with fixed keel and inboard diesel and I like it but I also agree with Stephen and Joe, C22's definitely have their merits, particularly as trailer sailors.

That said, that boat looks pretty darn good, well worth taking a look.

Quote:
. . . Here is another, looks even nicer, same price. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/b...533633095.html
Everything being equal I think the dinette interior is probably the better choice.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 16:17   #5

Quote:
Hi Rich,

Good luck with your search. I tried to find a C25 with trailer as my first boat , they do come along periodically, but didn't see one come up at an affordable price during my search timeframe. I finally gave up and bought a c22 and used it as a trailer sailer. I think for moving between pleasant, powell, havasu etc, given the significant distances and hassle with putting the mast up and down ("stepping" & "unstepping" respectively), the C22 makes a better *trailer* sailer than a C25 because you can set it up more easily step and unstep the mast by yourself. Either one could be set up with a remote control power wench (which is what I did on the C22) to allow you to step and unstep the mast by yourself. While it can be done with either boat, just easier due to the very light mast on the C22. You could use a C22 in San Diego, but it would be really a bay sailer and the interiors are small and really work for at most 2 people comfortable and only for a couple of days comfortably. If you are going to do mostly lakes and move frequently between them and do short 1-2 day events, the C22 is probably better. If you are going to move less often and want to do longer stays, the C25 is probably what you need. After I had my C22 awhile, a very inexpensive deal came up on a C27 with a very nice trailer. I snapped that up and sold the (fixed up) C22 for a profit. The C27 would never make a good trailer sailer but storing it mast up and keeping it on one lake (in Missouri) works well for me. I pay for a slip for the summer/early fall months and store it mast up on its trailer in the winter months. Look on craigslist for stuff like this: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/b...536349720.html The swing keel that this one offers is really essential for a trailer sailer. My C22 actually had a fixed fin keel so it was very high on the trailer and very awkward to get in and out of and move around on while it was on the trailer.

Here is another, looks even nicer, same price. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/b...533633095.html
May I ask you or anyone else what you think these boats would be worth before I reach out to the owners? I do not believe in trying to low ball anyone but it helps to have some knowledge from experts before possibly over paying. I did reach out for more information on the condition of the boats. Thank You!
Rich317 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, keel, trailer, wanted