Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 08:54   #16

Re: Pearson Yachts

In reality you are focusing on something that is a non event. Sloop, Cutter, Ketch... Good sailing , upwind or otherwise, is accomplished by good sailors... and more importantly.. agressive sailors who leave a lot of sail up. It's too much work for most cruisers so they move along as best they can. If you want to sail a Pearson fast you xcan.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 09:25   #17

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena

We have a Pearson 34, 1984. It is a more modern design, if you can call 1984 modern. Nice teak interior and a useable quarter berth. We have the shoal draft version with a centerboard. It is a fast light boat that is wider than older designs. It will pound badly in short choppy seas.

It has a cored balsa hull and it hasn't sank yet! Pearson placed solid glass where thru-hulls are located so just be sure previous owners has not messed it up. Centerboard pennant needed replacing. Zincs under keel bolt washers needed replacing. I eneded up replacing the engine.

Good acces to all systems in the boat. The anchor locker is too small and it doesn't come with a bow roller, we added one.

We are going to cruise next year, I hope. This boat is the "good enough" boat. I'd like one bigger, etc but this is what I have and it has 4' draft and can fit under the Okachobee bridge!

Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In reality you are focusing on something that is a non event. Sloop, Cutter, Ketch... Good sailing , upwind or otherwise, is accomplished by good sailors... and more importantly.. agressive sailors who leave a lot of sail up. It's too much work for most cruisers so they move along as best they can. If you want to sail a Pearson fast you xcan.
Yeah, agree on that. I was just somewhat perplexed by some of the previous comments on poor upwind performance with Ketch Rig, so get a Sloop instead (same hull) no big deal anyway, as I am not racing, but don't want a slug either. I'd like to be able to cover some ground if I have to, and I am sure either of these configurations would do just fine for me. Just want to be safe.

So...moving on. Seriously looking at the 365 (Ketch, Sloop) and the 367 (Cutter). I really like the design of these boats. I also like the mid 80's 34 and 37. A lot to think about and read up on.

So I think I have all of my questions answered on the 365's for now. There is one in Beaufort I may take a drive down to look at in a couple of weeks to get a better feel.
timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:58   #19

Yes the Pearsons are solid and seaworthy as previously mentioned. Interior space can be an issue for some due to the lack of an aft cabin but these boats were made for offshore racing/cruising (IOR designs) and not creature comforts you may see on the modern production boats.
Patriot_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13   #20

The cutter rig (probably really a sloop with staysail on the Pearson) is a very handy rig indeed. In 35 knots of wind with a double reef and good staysail you can be barreling along flat and having the time of your life while many others are trying to figure out how to sail with a partially furled headsail with a big belly in it.....

Old 01-08-2012, 09:16   #21

Quote:
The cutter rig (probably really a sloop with staysail on the Pearson)
Nope, the cutter has a different keel shape, deeper draft and better sail controls.

http://web.archive.org/web/200809170...et/365/365.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200809171...r/36cutter.htm
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Nope, the cutter has a different keel shape, deeper draft and better sail controls.
Really? wow thats surprising. At any rate a cutter is defined by the placement of the mast..... much further back than a sloop.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25   #23

Quote:
Really? wow thats surprising. At any rate a cutter is defined by the placement of the mast..... much further back than a sloop.
Yes, check out the links. The mast is furthur back.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28   #24

Also, someone mentioned that the 36 was an IOR design. I believe that was the model that was made prior to the 365/7. These were made through 1975.

Pearson 36
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29   #25

To finish it off. There is the 36-2 centerboard boat built 1985-1990.

Pearson 36-2
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Yes, check out the links. The mast is furthur back.
OK. This is actually a pretty interesting fact. At least to me, a secret EU lover of many US boats!

If I read it correct: we have 365 the ketch, 365 the sloop (few), and 36(7) the cutter - the last one being slightly modified, and potentially better performing, underbody (lower ballast, more draft).

All very nice boats.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK. This is actually a pretty interesting fact. At least to me, a secret EU lover of many US boats!

If I read it correct: we have 365 the ketch, 365 the sloop (few), and 367 the cutter - the last one being slightly modified, and potentially better performing, underbody (lower ballast, more draft).
All very nice boats.

Cheers,
b.

Yes although the sloop is a bit of a wild card. There were a few produced by the factory as sloops and so have taller masts. Some owners have converted their ketches to sloops by removing the mizzen so these will have a shorter rig.

When looking at a sloop keep this in mind.

Also the 365 ketch and sloops do not have a mainsheet traveler unless one has been retro-fitted. The 367 cutters do.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48   #28

The original Pearson Information site is no longer up but it is achieved and is an excellent resource for all things Pearson.
It might take a minute to load.
Pearson Information site
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28   #29

Cool. Links dont work for me.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:35   #30

Quote:
Cool. Links dont work for me.
If you can get here, you can click on all the models.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080802172506/http://www.pearsoninfo.net/

Tags
pearson