Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2023, 07:30   #16

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul
Re: Boats similar to Hallberg Rassy

Nordship
https://www.nordship.dk/en
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 08:00   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecai View Post
I have seriously considered island packet but a lot of people say it’s slow and doesn’t point. I like the boat and the layout as well. Also the cutter rig.
The Maryland School of Sailing uses exclusively Island Packet's for their distance-sailing fleet. Safe and reliable..

School Yachts

Chain plate replacement on the IP however is a b*tch... You have to remove a lot of the cabinetry to access the chain plates which are bonded with resin to the inside of the hull....

my two cents

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 08:02   #18

Boat: Taswell 43

We sail a Taswell 43, have for the past 24 years. For 2 years we buddy-cruised the Medd with an Ausie couple, who sailed a HR42....the 2 boats were extremely similar, including in accommodations and in performance. Our taswell was some better in a few places, and their HR was better in others. BUT....if you want a different choice than a HR, take a look at a Taswell.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 08:02   #19

Boat: Moody 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
That's a very reasonable and doable plan with many good options.

The first and biggest question will probably be: Monohull or catamaran?

In the Mediterranean, the number of catamarans are slowly on the rise, but around here they still suffer from penalities with mooring fees and finding places to haul out. In general, the Mediterranean is more monohull territory, but catamarans work really well too. Decide what works for you and your budget.

Specially in summer, the Western Mediterranean has very variable and often light winds. Where I am sitting at the moment, the morning is usually becalmed, some wind wind will come around 2 o'clock till 8, then it's nothing again. In such a situation, a boat sailing well in light winds is more fun compared to my old an heavy boat. This usually means a more modern design (post 1995) is a good idea.

Next is size. For a couple, these days the sweet spot seems to be around 40 to 42 foot long. Prices in Marinas often increase above 45ft. Also, the bigger the boat, the bigger the sails, the beefier the lines lines, the more cans of antifouling, etc. A draft of 6ft seems work well enough in the Mediterranean.

You can get a lot more value for your money by deciding what you won't do with the boat. If you go for a boat fitted out to be a coastal cruiser in warm waters, you get a lot more comfort and fun in warm areas than having a blue-water cruiser ready for Norway and Patagonia even if it won't work that well in the Northern-Atlantic in winter. Practically speaking all production boats above 36 foot from the past 30 years are solid enough to cross the Atlantic at the right season with a little preparation. Don't let those armchair captains telling you otherwise.

And last: When you start looking for a boat, looks what's available locally. A well maintained Bavaria, Jeanneau or Beneteau might be better than a Hallberg Rassy needing much work. Also the boat needs to speak to you. When I was looking for a boat, my important criteria were: A bed I can enter form the side and can have fun in with my lady without having to worry about hitting my or her head or knees anywhere and a cockpit laid out well enough so I can sail her alone. Your criteria will be different.
I think this is good advice.

1. We bought an ocean boat in 2020 (in Europe, and before the Covid price jump fortunately) so I have a fair grip on recent-ish prices. In my experience you pay a LOT more (50-100% might be a reasonable guess) for a solid ocean boat (HR, Najad, Sweden yacht, Moody, Contest, Hylas, etc.) than you do for a similar sized production boat. So if you are DEFINITELY not going ocean sailing you will get much better bang for your buck with the latter. And (as mentioned above) a west-bound trade wind crossing is well within the scope of most production boats.

2. On the other hand once you've been most places in the Med (and you'll have a great time doing so!) you may be a bit tired of the fact that there isn't much consistent sailing in the Med (too little or too much wind): loads of motoring. Once you have tasted water sailing">blue water sailing you may never look back!

3. Definitely, definitely decide first between catermaran and monohull. In my opinion you're either a cat sailer or mono sailer.

4. If you've decided on a monohull, try a centre cockpit before you finally decide.

Good luck!
Farbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 18:22   #20

Boat: Island Packet, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecai View Post
I have seriously considered island packet but a lot of people say it’s slow and doesn’t point. I like the boat and the layout as well. Also the cutter rig.
The Island Packet 40 has won its share of races and in my opinion is not "slow".
In one stage of my long offshore voyage from Mexico to Hawai and Alaska I averaged over 7 knots for 3 days - over 170 miles per day for 3 days - solo. It sailed very well. It is longitudinally stable and responded well when sailing down the face of huge waves at over 11 knots. As far as pointing is concerned it sails to weather as well as any cruising boat and tacks like a dream when you get rid of the sunbrella on the outer layer of the stays'l. By the way one important thing is that I sailed solo for 10,000 miles on that trip. Very stable and very comfortable. Fully set up for short handed sailing. And as I am getting too old to continue now it's also for sail.
IP40 #62. Signature Yachts Seattle.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 18:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrook View Post

1. We bought an ocean boat in 2020 (in Europe, and before the Covid price jump fortunately) so I have a fair grip on recent-ish prices. In my experience you pay a LOT more (50-100% might be a reasonable guess) for a solid ocean boat (HR, Najad, Sweden yacht, Moody, Contest, Hylas, etc.) than you do for a similar sized production boat. So if you are DEFINITELY not going ocean sailing you will get much better bang for your buck with the latter. And (as mentioned above) a west-bound trade wind crossing is well within the scope of most production boats.

2. On the other hand once you've been most places in the Med (and you'll have a great time doing so!) you may be a bit tired of the fact that there isn't much consistent sailing in the Med (too little or too much wind): loads of motoring. Once you have tasted blue water sailing you may never look back!

3. Definitely, definitely decide first between catermaran and monohull. In my opinion you're either a cat sailer or mono sailer.

4. If you've decided on a monohull, try a centre cockpit before you finally decide.

Good luck!
I like the idea of a center console even though I have never sailed one. And would probably venture out to the waters of Norway and Sweden.
joecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 20:03   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrook View Post

2. On the other hand once you've been most places in the Med (and you'll have a great time doing so!) you may be a bit tired of the fact that there isn't much consistent sailing in the Med (too little or too much wind): loads of motoring. Once you have tasted blue water sailing you may never look back!

Good luck!
The Peterson 44 I sailed long ago was a wonderful boat, and I liked the center cockpit too, but I didn't like being so high up off the water. I think a center cockpit with a sugar scoop would be a nice design... I like being able to reach over the side of my little low freeboard boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 07:50   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

Think again about center console in med. As you're gonna do a lot of med moor, aft cockpit is much more practical if you're shorthanded. Also, when you're tied in a noisy city wall, front cabin is much more silent to sleep than aft cabin. My thinking
Yelkenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 05:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillr View Post
The Island Packet 40 has won its share of races and in my opinion is not "slow".
In one stage of my long offshore voyage from Mexico to Hawai and Alaska I averaged over 7 knots for 3 days - over 170 miles per day for 3 days - solo. It sailed very well. It is longitudinally stable and responded well when sailing down the face of huge waves at over 11 knots. As far as pointing is concerned it sails to weather as well as any cruising boat and tacks like a dream when you get rid of the sunbrella on the outer layer of the stays'l. By the way one important thing is that I sailed solo for 10,000 miles on that trip. Very stable and very comfortable. Fully set up for short handed sailing. And as I am getting too old to continue now it's also for sail.
IP40 #62. Signature Yachts Seattle.
Island Packets dont seem to get a lot of love on this forum. Maybe not as sexy as some of the modern cruisers from Europe?

Thanks for these details, and I would seriously consider an IP 439.
TheWildDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 06:14   #25

Boat: Shopping...

If you can get a Malö you will be very pleased! In many aspect, better than HR.
Look for model year 2006 and after. With targa arch.
Awesome boat! Beautiful, goes to weather like hell, very fast.

Tags
boat, hallberg rassy