Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2009, 23:10   #91

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Jack Rascal Terror...Buster the Bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buster Feb 09 006.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	7203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buster Feb 09 023.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	7204  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 17:41   #92

Australian Shepherd

Nessie, our Australian Shepherd, loves cruising on board Bochinche, a Catalina 250.
cavitating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 17:46   #93

Old 07-04-2009, 08:03   #94

Boat: Orizaba is a Bruce Roberts 34 GRP
pirate Daisy the fishing dog from Portugal

We used to have a pitbull sailing with us sadly she died at the age of 11 years and we decided to wait a while before adopting another dog!! This strong stance only lasted 8 weeks upon our arrival in Sines Portugal we met Daisy the dog outside the marina bar we were told she would latch on to any new boat that pulled in in the hope that someone would adopt her but in the meantime she would catch fish from the sea herself or cadge sardines from the fishermen or scraps from restraunts After a few days Daisy decided we she quite fancied our boat and jumped aboard, as we still had food left from our last dog it seemed a shame for it to go to waste!! That was nearly 2 years ago now and Daisy our little mongrel (black and tan) is still with us we think she was either dumped or lost from a boat as she has taken to sailing like a duck to water the only time she gets upset is when we start the engine and are getting ready to leave a marina we think she is still worried she could be turfed off again despite our reassurances that that aint never gonna happen!!! I am still very curious as to where she came from in the first place though!!!I would say if you want to get a dog go to one of the many rescue homes around there are always many dogs there just looking for a chance!
Joanne Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:33   #95

Cavitating,

Great photos, beautiful dog! And he looks right at home on the water.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:13   #96
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with defjef, cavitating, Nessie is one very happy looking dog to be near the water. I wonder, though, if she isn't actually a bernese mountain dog - Google Image Search rather than an australian shepherd - Google Image Search

And Joanne Turner, your story of giving your new companion a second chance at the life aquatic touched my heart. I know you miss your previous dog terribly, but there is always room in a compassionate heart for another opportunity to experience the blessings of the human/dog bond.

TaoJones
Old 07-04-2009, 10:17   #97

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
Mini Aussie

My Welsh corgi, Lil, just passed in December. She wanted to be where I was and sailed with me for two summers. Lil was a great trooper, however she was not built for agility and struggled with mobility on the boat. So when choosing a new dog I picked one that will be more lithe and capable of jumping in and out of the dinghy, climbing the companionway stairs etc.

Here is Lil, bless her little soul.

and this little guy is Zubenelgenubi (aka Zuby) the Miniature Australian Shepherd. He's not yet sure about the water and boat thing, but he's still just a young pup (4 months.)

Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:23   #98

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
Announcing Benny & Azore's Litter

There will be another litter next year.
Next litter in May.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:17   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
My Vet friend is urging me to find a Schiperke, or adopt one from the rescue net. I have shared living quarters with a miniature schnauzer (long gone and still mourned) so I would really like to hear about any Schiperkes you guys might have met. I have a catamaran, sail the Chesapeake Bay, and have a small backyard. I sail with a constant and varied stream of people, so I would love a social butterfly!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 14:08   #100

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
My Vet friend is urging me to find a Schiperke, or adopt one from the rescue net. I have shared living quarters with a miniature schnauzer (long gone and still mourned) so I would really like to hear about any Schiperkes you guys might have met. I have a catamaran, sail the Chesapeake Bay, and have a small backyard. I sail with a constant and varied stream of people, so I would love a social butterfly!
Layla's crew includes two adopted female Schipperkes; Cassie and Flash. Wonderful, quite protective , easily excitable, full of energy and very much in need of exercise kind of dogs.... The older one (almost 11) has slowed down a tad bit but still stands her ground.

Not sure about others but mine definitely shed(!) They need to be regularly brushed.

I think the female Schips are a little mellower (my observation) - If they don't get enough exercise, you must watch their food intake 'cause they quickly turn into bowling balls

All in all, I have never regretted adopting the two ladies, I think you'd be very pleased If you get a Schipperke.

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:46   #101

Dear Defjef and TaoJones;

Thanks for the compliments. Nessie is a 5 year old tri color Australian Shepperd. Her color patterns make her look like a Bermese Mountain Dog. She is 50 lbs, loves the boat, dinghy, swiming and taking naps on deck. Nessie is very obedient and like the shepperd dog she is, Nessie is always watching us, making sure that we are OK. For us, she is the perfect boat dog.
Old 02-11-2009, 20:57   #102

Boat: BlueWater, Costal Cruiser, 42 feet, Endless Vacation
We have two Rotties. Sugar Bear and Oaklee. They love the boat, water, Docks and marinas. In fact they have become the official mascot of our marina where we are moored. Could not ask for a more stable breed and temperament.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote