Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 12:07   #1

Boat: S2 11.0C
Dog or Cat?

I’m a singlehandler on a 36 ft monohull. Thinking of taking on a pet. I grew up with both. Larger German Shepherd Dogs and cats. I’m thinking if I do take on a dog, it wold be a medium size like a lab. A dog that loves the water. What’s your thinking? Dog or cat?
Old 22-03-2019, 12:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Dog or Cat?

Cat is easier with customs and doesn't need to be taken to shore , it's cleaner as well since it poops and pies in its box .
Dog offers some protection , but needs high maintenance.
Both if them need proper training to not destroy things in the boat .

I choose a cat and I am happy with my choice , she likes water too .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 13:22   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’m a dog person, we went cruising with my mini schnauzer. He was great to have along, but was a hassle concerning paperwork and shore breaks.

We’re going again without a pet, but if I absolutely had to have a boat pet it would be a cat......if I didn’t feel the need to eat the cat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 13:23   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We've had both dogs (large ones) and cats aboard. Best to think about support systems first, maybe get your whole plan all sorted out in advance...

I can tell you it can take some work to handle a Great Pyrenees or a big Golden; all of those have weighed over my dead-lift capability, so on/off system/technique can be critical as dog weight increases. Even fixed versus floating docks influenced our boat shopping, so we knew we'd have a couple options on getting dog from boat to dinghy or boat to dock (swim platform, etc.).

And then... dogs need exercise, so that influenced our dinghy solutions. OTOH, a smaller or mid-size dog might be easier. Some folks have said they've been able to train their dog to go onboard; we never had that experience, started too late, I guess so ours were already trained otherwise. (Not on your life, Pops!) With earlier training, looks like a bitch might be able to aim at one of these fairly well, whereas (male) dogs... not so much. May be worth a look, though.

https://www.petsafe.net/petloo

Cats have been easier, although not without issues. Where will that litter box live? How much litter do you need to keep in your stash? It's heavy, if you need more while en route. And cats do have a tendency to claw up stuff, furniture being a favorite. Got room for a scratching post? Can't declaw, even if you were inclined to, 'cause they'll need a way to get back on board after an accidental swim. (Climbing rope, over the side...)

-Chris
Old 22-03-2019, 14:26   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Cat for sure. Way less effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5E8C92D-F59D-4FC5-9847-9AA783A0E177.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	188528  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 17:25   #6

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	188538
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 01:02   #7

Cats are more independent so they can be a perfect pet on board.
grecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 03:21   #8

Cats are definitely easier. If your dog needs to go ashore a few times a day to "exercise " it can be a major hassle.

In Queensland it could possibly cost you big money too. Many (most?) anchorages are in national parks, where domestic pets are not allowed ashore.

Cats do need to scratch at times, especially when their replacement claws grow in. I wrapped a couple of table legs with sisal rope to make scratching poles. The furniture doesn't get touched.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 03:34   #9
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Cats are definitely easier. If your dog needs to go ashore a few times a day to "exercise " it can be a major hassle.

In Queensland it could possibly cost you big money too. Many (most?) anchorages are in national parks, where domestic pets are not allowed ashore.

Cats do need to scratch at times, especially when their replacement claws grow in. I wrapped a couple of table legs with sisal rope to make scratching poles. The furniture doesn't get touched.
You do have to develop an evening routine of catching fish or squid for them though. Or maybe that's just the spoiled Captain Jack!

Here he is, loving Sunday nights catch. How was Monday's lunch?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_212702.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	188776
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 03:38   #10
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Observing the fishingClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_211725.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	188777
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 04:09   #11

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Some people have been successful at training cats to use the head. See it on YouTube.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 04:38   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

one that doesn't bark at all the boats
Old 27-03-2019, 05:10   #13

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft

We have both, a 5 yo Golden Retriever and 10 year old cat. The cat is by far easier to keep in the boat except for finding space for the litter tray. If you could train the cat to use the toilet, it would be even easier/cleaner (no kidding, our cat learned but then he had knee surgery so all the effort to train him got flushed through the toilet (see what I did there?). https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Traini...30535788&psc=1

If you end up needing a litter tray, we found one of the vertical types way easier to keep the litter from making a mess https://www.chewy.com/iris-top-entry...BoC4G0QAvD_BwE

When we do passages with the dog we know we have to plan to make stops to bring him ashore (he hasn't learned to do his business on the deck). No big deal any way since we are doing short trips.

Good luck with the critters!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	greenhouse boat.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	188778  
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 05:13   #14

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Karo View Post
I’m a singlehandler on a 36 ft monohull. Thinking of taking on a pet. I grew up with both. Larger German Shepherd Dogs and cats. I’m thinking if I do take on a dog, it wold be a medium size like a lab. A dog that loves the water. What’s your thinking? Dog or cat?
A lot depends upon the design of the boat you choose. Chris touched on this. We have a power boat with an aft cabin/raised aft deck and a cockpit. There is a ladder going from the cockpit to the aft deck. Our 107 pound lab has to be dead-lifted up and down and it's a serious pain. For a dog that size, consider a boat with stairs instead of a ladder. All things considered, a smaller dog would be easier to manage. A couple of people we know swear that a Corgi is an ideal boat dog.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 07:17   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cats have been around in and on boats for over 150 yrs.
there is a fb group named gatos del mar which was founded by my cat in 2014 or so.... many gatos in that group. much information shared by all in group.
https://web.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/
bubba decided as a cat and traveller as well that other cats in his situation needed a support group. so far it is working well. we have veterinarians... cats, boats and humans. some few doggies.
you are welcome to join us if you wish more good info on cats on board.
bubba has sailed over 10,000 miles, flown 6000 miles and been driven in a car for 3000 miles. he figgered other cats should be able to enjoy same fun and travel
he also said maybe he will try to tolerate the lil new addition, chico da vato....

ps...bubba said cats donot taste good.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote