Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 04:47   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Circumnavigation with Pets

We are planning to start our long voyage. The new boat is to be built, commisioned and we will take our time to familiarize with her. And then we want to go. We are not keen to part with our fourlegged friends. Here in Europe we sail with our two chihuahuas without great problems. They have pets EU passports, microchips, all vaccinations...

But we are not sure if going around with pets is possible at all?

We do know, that while circumnavigating with pets, You need to circumvent some countries as Australia, New Zealand or Jamaica. We are trying to clarify the situation in French Overseas Departements.

Have anybody any tips? Maybe somebody did it?

Thank You for all possible inputs
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 21:07   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
check noonsite--has all the info ever needed for pets on board --what is needed country by country....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 17:02   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
And don't forget your pet passport.

It's not government issued, just looks like ie.

Has your pet's photo and able to keep track of all shots etc. Does make it easier when entering.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 17:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
And don't forget your pet passport.

It's not government issued, just looks like ie.

Has your pet's photo and able to keep track of all shots etc. Does make it easier when entering.
my USA veterinarian doesnt agree with pet passports , as they are not official HERE and some countries DO have official pet docs. mine gives entire pet history, as well as prescriptions for advantage multi and one dose for IF my kat contacts flea ridden animals-- even tho he never gets off boat. i get 3 copies plus original. this is all needed for usa critters entering and leaving. the other countries you travel into and out of have other criteria-- see NOONSITE--has every country listed and the requirements for pets.
\also--make sure the requirements fo r the number of days after the vet visit are met exactly. this prevents the quarantine usa places on critters as well as the countries you enter and exit.
Old 05-12-2010, 17:46   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Note the pet passport scheme does NOT work unless you arrive by a commercial carrier ( ie regular airline or ferry). If you arrive by yacht your pet will generally undergo a period of quarantine which can be several months in some countries

Dave
Old 05-12-2010, 18:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Note the pet passport scheme does NOT work unless you arrive by a commercial carrier ( ie regular airline or ferry). If you arrive by yacht your pet will generally undergo a period of quarantine which can be several months in some countries

Dave
the veterinarian papers inclusive of history of critter WORKS. with these, and the pet owner's STRICT compliance, will AVOID quaranttine, per my veterinarian legal dept and travel consultant. USA does NOT issue et passports and nothinng akin to thatki8nd of paperwork exists in usa. if you wish your pet to n0t endure 6 months of quarantine per USA returning or in whatever country you visit-- GET YOUR VET TO COMPLY WITH THE REGULATIONS AS DIRECTED ON NOONSITE and follow strictly. these rules work for private boats. yachts are things with a helo pad on deck.

i travel with a maine coon mix cat. we do not endure quarantine as we follow the rules as directed. he also does NEVER leave the boat.
NOONSITE is the source you need to follow for every country y plan on visiting.
Old 05-12-2010, 18:23   #7
Nearly an old salt

I was merely responding to the OPs point of having a pet passport In the EU where the system does work it doesn't apply to arrival by private boat or yacht or dinghy or blowboat or whatever you call it. I mention it as that fact is not widely known.

Dave
Old 05-12-2010, 18:27   #8

Boat: Traditional 30
Its a shame that for the sake of a couple of pets you will have to miss some great locations. Particularly as the pets themselves may not particularly enjoy sailing. Just a thougtht.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 18:57   #9

i wish that that passport for pets thing would become more wide spread-- this situation of pets travelling is a serious one-- considering many do cruise their homes, it makes a difference-- pets travel. my kat knows when there is a big splashing sound to retreat to below decks-- he watches the sails-- but he likes being where his human is--as do all pets-- isnt the house, is the individual the critter is familial with. he sailed over 6000 miles with me last year in gulf of mexico--
would be a blessing if there could be a standard, instead of various differing laws and regulations.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:25   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Thank You all very much for inputs
It looks for the moment that such a long voyage is practicable to some extent with a cat on board may be, but rather sure not with a dogs. Both our dogs are real sailors - they do very well on board. But I can not imagine to confine dogs on the boat after longer passage, without the possibility to take them on land to walk, play on the beach, feel all new exciting smells and so on... You know - for us they are just family members, they go happily where we are going. We will not eave them behind for two or more years, just to fulfill our dreams - it would be not fair to them...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48   #11

Boat: Moody 36CC
Another similar question, please forgive me if it has already answered.

We will be cruising in Greece this summer and our intention is to pass winter in the Caribbean.

Here is my dilemma: on the 20th of December my dog gave birth to 3 beautiful puppies, but a week later she died. I am now wondering if I should keep 1 of the puppies (adult weight, no more than 10 lbs.) or give them all once they are ready to go.

I have seen in noonsite that some countries ask us to fill out importation papers 6 months before arriving and that the dog has to visit the vet 10 days before arriving in the country. If it takes us 20 days to cross the Atlantic there is no way we can comply.

Can the dog stay onboard and avoid quarantine? Has somebody ever lived this situation, if so how can we resolve the problem?

Thank you all

Old 03-01-2011, 14:55   #12
Nearly an old salt

In my view confining a dog aboard is cruelty. In practice cruising around the world with a fog isn't practical

Dave
Old 03-01-2011, 15:33   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

25yrs ago I met a 75yr old French guy in Peniche... he was completing his 4th circumnav with his "French All Black" on their 27ft sloop.... a pup he'd picked up in NZ on his 1st circum....
Life was so much simpler then....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:42   #14

The good thing about having pets aboard is that you can always eat them if you run out of food.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 18:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaasun71 View Post
The good thing about having pets aboard is that you can always eat them if you run out of food.
i joke about naming my kat stew for trips-- but i dont think i could look into those HUGE trusting and loving eyes and kill him to eat-- i know i could with a fishie, tho-- and he and i could share it..LOL.....

Tags
circumnavigation, pets