Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 17:50   #91

Boat: in the process
Re: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtallen2489 View Post
Ya I can remember Boones Farm Apple wine (screw top) back in the 70s that we drank in college - god help me!!
If you remember Boone's Farm then you will probably remember Bali Hai. . . mostly sugar and fruit juice but it was. . . sophisticated to slug wine over the more mundane Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. . .
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:55   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
And nobody have a picture to show of there wine cellar,
Would show you but then have to feed you to the sharks . . . It's a state secret. . .

Three points about wine. . .

Life is too short to drink bad wine. . .

Wine comes in bottles, not plastic bladders. . . I don't even want to think of imbibing anything that comes in a plastic bladder. . .

and for those that think a price tag is an indicator of a great wine, Jacob's Creek from Oz makes both a great cab and a solid red zin and both are under $10/bottle. . . IMO

As long as you keep your wines stable and away from heat, they should be good in storage. . .

So, pull your CORK [not your plastic], decant into a nice wine duck and get ready to relax. . .

Fair winds

B
Old 13-07-2011, 19:28   #93

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
You folks buy wine in a BOX? and with PLASTIC CORKS? That's like a beer conoisseur drinking Coors Lite.

I guess I'm a wine snob. Fortunately my new boat has plenty of room to store a case of good Bordeaux and another of Barolo. I'm also partial to a good California Pinot Noir or Morviedre.
Actually...a wine SNOB would realize that the problems that come with real "cork" far outweigh the benefits. A Pinot noir lover (as I am) might want to try some of the Pinot noir that is coming out of NZ...with a SCREW CAP. Amazing stuff...light (as a Pinot should be) with subtle but amazing fruits, a hint of mineral, and a smooth but lingering finish that will knock your snobbish socks off. As for the "box", there are some good ones out there. And we don't have to knock off a whole bottle to enjoy a glass.
Old 13-07-2011, 20:06   #94

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKov View Post
Would show you but then have to feed you to the sharks . . . It's a state secret. . .

Three points about wine. . .

Life is too short to drink bad wine. . .

Wine comes in bottles, not plastic bladders. . . I don't even want to think of imbibing anything that comes in a plastic bladder. . .

and for those that think a price tag is an indicator of a great wine, Jacob's Creek from Oz makes both a great cab and a solid red zin and both are under $10/bottle. . . IMO

As long as you keep your wines stable and away from heat, they should be good in storage. . .

So, pull your CORK [not your plastic], decant into a nice wine duck and get ready to relax. . .

Fair winds

B
Oh come-on Bill, you're being snobbish. I could put two similar quality same region/grape wines in decanters, one from a box and one from a bottle, and I would challenge anyone to tell the difference. Nice to have the duck though, I thoroughly agree with you there, nothing so lower class as to have a black bottle on a table.
Old 13-07-2011, 20:09   #95

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I'm a wine lover, but not a wine snob.
I heartily embrace technology and as such, am not afraid of plastic corks, bottles or bags.
To me, a cork is likened to a wood boat. Great, traditional, but not without its faults.
A glass bottle is best, but there's something to be said of a twist cap on a plastic jug with a Cranberry Juice label when entering a foreign country which doesn't allow a certain amount of the fruit of the vine if you know what I mean.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 20:16   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Ahem. Beer rules but if you must argue the value of cork over plastic stoppers you should get it right. According to the U of Bordeaux, plastic stoppers allow more O2 then cork and screw caps less: Cork and Closure Research Update

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 20:32   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Oh come-on Bill, you're being snobbish. I could put two similar quality same region/grape wines in decanters, one from a box and one from a bottle, and I would challenge anyone to tell the difference. Nice to have the duck though, I thoroughly agree with you there, nothing so lower class as to have a black bottle on a table.
Didn't want to come off snobbish. . . but I don't even drink coffee out of a plastic cup. . . I swear I can taste the chemicals. . . have a large ceramic mug for tea and coffee. . .

IMO, I can't think of anything that deserves to be consumed out of plastic - it's one molecule away from margarine and I don't eat that either!

LOL

I know --->

Right??
Old 14-07-2011, 09:27   #98

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
I thoroughly agree with you there, nothing so lower class as to have a black bottle on a table.
Out of curiosity, is that a reference to the black bottle controversy in the officers mess of the 11th Hussars between the Colonel in Chief (the earl of Cardigan) and Captain John Reynolds. Out of custom, porter, which came in a black bottle, was not to be consumed in the mess, but one night, Reynolds ordered a Moselle wine for a guest, and it came in a black bottle; Cardigan, who was long on ego but terribly short on brains, took affront thinking Reynolds was defying him by drinking porter at the mess table. The affair came close to sparking a duel, and eventually resulted in a letter of reprimand being sent Reynolds by the Lord Hill (HQ Horse Guards).
Old 14-07-2011, 09:41   #99

Heh, and I thought I had a trivial mind... my first thought was a reference to Black Bottle whiskey, a sacrilege to any proper-minded Scotch snob. (Which I cannot quite afford to be. <sigh>)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:35   #100

Boat: Bristol 38.8

There are some good red wines for around $10 a bottle but not good whites, with the possible exception of a few Italian whites (e.g. pinot grigiots).

Right now I'm sipping a perfectly decent Nero D'Avola Sicilian red that goes for under $7 a bottle at Trader Joes.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 14:54   #101
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do not drink alcohol while under way. at an anchorage, if NOT in a storm, i MIGHT drink a nice wine-- the cork goes back into the bottle well and easily if you dont dig it out with a corkscrew-- the cork puller with 2 prongs is much better for dragging that obstacle out of a bottle. and there is STILL no decent wine in a box or a screw top bottle.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 15:10   #102

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

No Box wine? Your not a drunken sailor?....Oh Zeehag... such a sheltered life..... And we had you pegged for adventuer

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 15:11   #103
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
No Box wine? Your not a drunken sailor?....Oh Zeehag... such a sheltered life..... And we had you pegged for adventuer
aaaaaaaaaaah, but i am allergic to bad wine. andmany beers--i like GOOOD rum.....painkillers rock.....dont even bring me tequillye..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 15:16   #104

LOL..
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 16:26   #105

Boat: O'Day 40

TJ's is a great place to get good wine, especially 2 buck Chuck!!!
jtallen2489 is offline   Reply With Quote