Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 16:59   #1

Need help for Food on sailing trip

Hi, my names "Gwink"
I'm a sea scout and my troop is planning on going on a sailing excursion in a few months that would be ~72 hours and I am in charge of the food and cooking. I was thinking about doing some solar cooking on the sailboat to go along with our "scout" way of doing things naturally, but that is not going to work because of costs. Anyway, i would like some help on what kind of meals i could make there, but our troop does things a bit differently, we always make our meals fantastic, so i need some expert advice here The tools i will have are
- Hot plate/Burner
- Any pots/pans that i will need,
- Any other household items that I would probably have at home.
- I will probably have around a ~$50 spending limit, but it might be higher or lower than that, its still to be decided.
- I will be able to buy some tools/cookware that you guys might recommend

Some ideas i had already were

-Breakfast
Breakfast Burrito

-Lunch
Hotdogs
Hamburgers

-Dinner
Soup

Anyway thank you for taking the time to read this and please comment if you have any advice/ideas for me.
Gwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 17:09   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Need help for Food on sailing trip

Will you be building campfires at night? Hobo pies of all kinds were always my camping favorite.

Does it have to be hot? Sandwiches are easy and you can do some amazing ones if you look around at different breads or even make your own before leaving.

If you have a good chili recipe, that can be another good one to make ahead and just heat.

How many people are you supposed to cook for three days at $50? You might be limited to rice and beans (which can be made AWESOME with a few spices - look for Caribbean recipes)
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 17:30   #3

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

Nothing makes for a better, easiy, quick, warm, healthy breakfast like oatmeal. Don't forget the bananas and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per serving. You'll be surprised how much flavor the cinnamon adds. I'd leave all the eggs at home.
Can't beat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.
Then, dinner is a different story. You've worked all day and you want a warm sit-down meal. I'll leave it to other forum members to help you on that one.
Have a great time.
Old 04-04-2014, 17:33   #4

Sorry, I should have explained myself better.
I am going to be on the boat for 72 hours, and I need something that could be manageable in a relatively small space (because i'm on a boat ) And for the cost its only for a few people, and i foundout it can go higher anyway, so gimme what ya got!

thanks, "Gwink"
Old 04-04-2014, 17:48   #5

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Gwink-for dinner, one of our favorites is risotto. Easy to fix, you can add meat, veggies, anything you want, and flavor it any way you choose. Makes a nice, warm, filling dinner. Plenty of pretty simple recipes online. Just brown the rice in a big frying pan, start adding broth (usually chicken although I also use mushroom broth) a little at a time and let rice absorb. when rice is fat, a bit gooey and a bit soft, start adding things of choice. Serve and eat! Takes about 30-35 minutes.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 18:06   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Hey Gwink (I love the name!)

Give us some insight of what is on the boat.
Does it have a stove? What kind (type, burners, oven, etc).
Does it have a fridge or ice box? And how many people approx. you'll be feeding.
That will help us help you.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 18:46   #7

Gwink, welcome to the forum. As a former Sea Scout, I am a little jealous, my ship never had boats big enough to cook on.
If you are responsible for food and cooking, do you have to do the dishes also? If you had to clean up along with cook, I would stick to one pot meals. Are you allowed to precook your meals? If so, that would open up your menu choices. On short cruises we go on we usually prepare our meals at home the night before we shove off. this will give you more time to enjoy the trip.

ShaunJ

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 19:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

Does it have a fridge or ice box? And how many people approx. you'll be feeding.
It doesn't have any type of refrigeration or stove. I'm going to bring either a hot plate or a little burner, and an icebox, because the trip is relatively short.
There are going to be about 7 people (give or take 1).

Thanks again, "Gwink"
Old 04-04-2014, 19:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
Gwink, welcome to the forum. As a former Sea Scout, I am a little jealous, my ship never had boats big enough to cook on.
If you are responsible for food and cooking, do you have to do the dishes also? If you had to clean up along with cook, I would stick to one pot meals. Are you allowed to precook your meals? If so, that would open up your menu choices. On short cruises we go on we usually prepare our meals at home the night before we shove off. this will give you more time to enjoy the trip.

ShaunJ
Hah, I can't believe that thought didn't even cross my mind.
However, as i mentioned before, we like to do things the "scout" way, or at least more like in nature, so we would like to make everything fresh.

Thanks for the suggestion, "Gwinks"
Old 04-04-2014, 19:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Gwink-for dinner, one of our favorites is risotto. Easy to fix, you can add meat, veggies, anything you want, and flavor it any way you choose. Makes a nice, warm, filling dinner. Plenty of pretty simple recipes online. Just brown the rice in a big frying pan, start adding broth (usually chicken although I also use mushroom broth) a little at a time and let rice absorb. when rice is fat, a bit gooey and a bit soft, start adding things of choice. Serve and eat! Takes about 30-35 minutes.

I really like the sound of this and i think my troop would too!
I have a meeting tomorrow and i'm sure they'l all be glad to hear about this.

Thanks for the great suggestion, "Gwinks"
Old 04-04-2014, 20:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
Nothing makes for a better, easiy, quick, warm, healthy breakfast like oatmeal. Don't forget the bananas and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per serving. You'll be surprised how much flavor the cinnamon adds. I'd leave all the eggs at home.
Can't beat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.
Then, dinner is a different story. You've worked all day and you want a warm sit-down meal. I'll leave it to other forum members to help you on that one.
Have a great time.
That sounds really nice, il be sure to mention it at our meeting.
Thanks, "Gwinks"
Old 04-04-2014, 20:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

Also I forgot to mention the sailboat an Irwin 30 it is 30ft long with a 10ft beam
Old 05-04-2014, 05:34   #13

You can still eat well if you want to. Find a small pressure cooker. Stew, bean or soup taste like you simmered it for hours. Add a skillet and most things can be made. Breakfast and lunch can vary a lot, but supper needs to be filling (if you aren't underway). We had a 27' and ate well, you can bake breakfast rolls in the cooker by putting a trivet under a pan. Suggest you focus on dinners you can do with 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of cooking. Also prep what you can and use zip locks.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 15:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
You can still eat well if you want to. Find a small pressure cooker. Stew, bean or soup taste like you simmered it for hours. Add a skillet and most things can be made. Breakfast and lunch can vary a lot, but supper needs to be filling (if you aren't underway). We had a 27' and ate well, you can bake breakfast rolls in the cooker by putting a trivet under a pan. Suggest you focus on dinners you can do with 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of cooking. Also prep what you can and use zip locks.
Ok, thanks for the tips
Old 05-04-2014, 20:05   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Keep it simple.

I would prepare or buy ready to eat stuff, prepared salad, lasagna from Costco, or even canned pasta sauce with pre-cooked pasta, mac & cheese, tuna salad and cold cuts for sandwiches, instant soups/noodles in a cup, pancakes, cold or hot cereal for breakfast. Avoid all fried and greasy foods. Have plenty of beverage choices, fresh fruit, salty and sweet snacks, saltines, energy bars...
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, sail, sailing