Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2009, 18:53   #1

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Mobicool Coolers

does anyone have any experience with the mobicool portable coolers. i just pickedup a 45 liter model from canadian tire thats ac/dc for $149.00
thought it might work ok on the boat. anyone have any thoughts on this.
MOBICOOL - High Performance Cooling Systems
this is the link to their website. any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 06:59   #2

Since you already bought it you don't want to hear this, but I found those thermoelectric coolers to be a real drag. Drag on the battery bank, that is. They only cool down 30 degrees below ambient(F) and it takes a lot of amp hours to do that. For a few hundred dollars more you can get a waeco or engel that has a real compressor,uses less current, cycles off, and can actually freeze.
Of course, you're in Canada and I'm in the SE, so we have different cooling requirements.
Old 28-05-2009, 08:04   #3

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
well it ran all night and yes it got cool but took forever to cool down so me thinks i shall bring it back and will just have to save up for one of the waeco models. anyone have any experience with the cf50 from waeco. thanks
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 08:31   #4

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
I am real partial to my Engel 37. Wish they had the 40 (plastic version) when I bought mine. Every three years I take it off the boat, and remove the exterior rust and repaint it from a cosmetic perspective, but it is solid, draws little energy, and keeps the beer cold. Rust is mostly an issue because we store it under the companionway, and have a habit of dropping stuff on it, and dousing it with salt water.
Old 28-05-2009, 09:26   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
refrig

I bought a compressor drive cooler type fridg from Compact Appliance 12/24/120 volt . I think under $400 has some nice features quick cooldown mode, digital temp setting and metal case inside and out.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:43   #6

Boat: Catalina C-42
We bought a Waeco CF50 for use aboard back in April. We have an existing reefer in the galley but wanted a freezer. Our model is the CF50 with both the shorepower & 12V power supplies with the shorepower being the priority source.

I can only say the CF50 just plain works. I would say it runs about 15 minutes out of every 2 ours and right now, we have it set for 14 degrees F. On 12vdc, it draws a touch over 4 amps when running.

Pretty happy with it so for. We did buy the optional insulated cover which seem to help lower the run time.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote