Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2011, 19:37   #16

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
We store pans and such in it normally, but also use it to bake bread weekly. I think it's a must have.
Old 14-02-2011, 19:39   #17

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
We have used it three times in three years. My wife calls it her "Suzy homemaker easy-bake oven" because it's little and doesn't have a thermostat (only a flame control). We watch the thermometer and regulate it with flame or by opening the door. Not exactly a gourmet chef's delight to cook with. We've baked brownies and muffins, and the results tend to be unpredictable unless you watch it closely.

It's nice to have and as someone else noted, it's a safer place to keep the handheld electronics in a lightning storm.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:45   #18

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Maybe we're just lucky. After hearing from other sailers about how unreliable their ovens are temp-wise, We checked ours (Seaward Princess three burner) with a thermometer hanging from the rack, visible through the glass front, and it is right on.

IMNSHO, there's nothing like fresh muffins or bread on a cold morning.
Old 14-02-2011, 20:21   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
IMNSHO, there's nothing like fresh muffins or bread on a cold morning.
...except maybe coffee cake.

Whip it up the night before, and stuff it raw into the oven. Sleep. At around 6:00, when nature calls, go out and light the oven. Go back to bed until the aroma yanks you back out into the galley.

Yum yum yum. And now the cabin is warm and smells great.
Old 14-02-2011, 20:26   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
one of wonderblond's cool oven tricks

Exactly one week before a long passage, make two lasagnas. Stick them both in the oven, but yank lasagna #2 out of the oven when it's half cooked. Freeze it. Now go back and eat lasagna #1.

One week later, while you're sailing offshore, pull lasagna #2 out of the freezer and let it defrost all day. Then, around 1/2 hour before dinner time, stick it in the oven and finish cooking it.

Now eat lasagna #2.
Old 14-02-2011, 21:32   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
dont care what brand stove/oven you have, just wondering if the oven is really useful?

thinking about selling it for a simple two burner gimbaled propane stove

thoughts?
If you're asking the question then you don't need it.....
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 01:48   #22

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
If you're asking the question then you don't need it.....
Very well put. I agree... but...

If you're status now is single, and if that should change,...

or... if you want to sell the boat, could be a negaitve not having one.
Old 15-02-2011, 03:06   #23

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We use our oven all the time, it may not be propane, but the question was not about the fuel. If the oven bottom is too thing ( which it is often is on boat stoves) ceramic tiles or a pizza stone will help prevent that burned spot you might experience.
Really the question is...what sort of foods do you like to prepare? We lived aboard for several years without an oven and made it work, however the oven was one of the favorite additions to the boat.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 03:59   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
many in warm climates have rail mounted grills that account for much of their cooking .. i guess to avoid heating up the galley in the summer .. but i can't live without coffee so require stove.
Old 15-02-2011, 11:59   #25

I use my oven almost every day, but cannot imagine every wanting a Microwave on board (had one on land and used less than once a month). Others above are in the opposite camp. All depends on what you eat. Since you never used your oven at home, seems unlikely you will on a boat unless you start baking bread.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:23   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i used it all the time until i moved up to formosa 41--now is in my formosa awaiting installation ..... is necessary item. yes. for cooking and for storing the gps in a lightning storm.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:36   #27

Boat: a sailing boat
We use the oven for about 25% to 30% of our cooking. Offsore, practically every day - if we eat cooked food for dinner then inevitably there will be some sort of baked cake for tea.

Also, in very rough weather, we will stew in oven rather than cook on the top - we just cut food into small pieces, add some oil and spices and chuck it all into a deep pan in the oven. 30 minutes later it is all steamy-yummie. Easier than cooking and no risk someone ends up with boiling pasta all over their lap.

Oven - big YES,
from barnie & the first mate
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 14:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Also, in very rough weather, we will stew in oven rather than cook on the top - we just cut food into small pieces, add some oil and spices and chuck it all into a deep pan in the oven. 30 minutes later it is all steamy-yummie.
Great idea!
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 14:55   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

An oven, like any other tool, is only useful if there is someone aboard who has some skill in using one.

If you're not inclined to use one...one burner, one pot, one kettle maybe all it takes to keep you happy.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 15:00   #30

Boat: In the market for a 35'-40'er in FL
I love to bake, warm cookies are the best thing halfway through a late night watch.
I also like to wrap a Brie in Puff Pastery dough in Puff Pastery dough. You can put jelly or minced garlic, pine nuts and olive oil inside of the brie if you cut it in half. Bake 'til golden brown at 300(about 35 min) Goes good with wine and crackers. You can pre-make them and store in plastic wrap for a few days. They make a good surprise for your lady/man and taste good

Tags
oven