Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 10:07   #1

Boat: Pilot Cutter
Have PVC fabric--Project ideas

I have a small piece of PVC coated fabric (or maybe it is vinyl) (it was packaging for a large tarp I bought).

I am trying to come up with ideas for something to do with it.

The fabric is It is 2.7' (32.5") x 8.5' (102").

The fabric is waterproof, but once a hole it punched through it--like a sewing needle hole, the fabric is no longer waterproof in that area.

Any suggestions?

BTW: I already am making covers for my VP canisters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5844.resized.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	280513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5841.resized.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	280514  

esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 14:39   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Have PVC fabric--Project ideas

We successfully used 3M 5200 to bond pvc plastic over a hypalon dinghy floor. Stayed waterproof till we sold it on.

All my efforts to sew pvc were not waterproof, although I would think tent seam sealer would have sealed them. I just didn't care enough to fix the problem.

If you want to make a bag that hangs from the dinghy seat to keep life jackets/pfds and a repair kit in, that could be done, with seam sealer, and would probably work a long time.

If you have a need for jerry jug covers, they're easy to make and keep the UV off the jug....and, don't have to be water proof.

Another application could be a hatch dodger.

I've seen home made windlass covers, lpg bottle covers, even fender covers. And Jim once made a partial cushion cover of vinyl, to cover the end of the cushion by the nav station, so wet foulies wouldn't bother the cushion underneath.
Old 04-09-2023, 14:59   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

You can get a strong seam that is just about completely waterproof in PVC by gluing the seams with an adhesive like HH66 ... although I was unable to get a 100.00% airtight seam when I tried to make some floatation bags using 6oz fabric.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 16:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We successfully used 3M 5200 to bond pvc plastic over a hypalon dinghy floor. Stayed waterproof till we sold it on.

All my efforts to sew pvc were not waterproof, although I would think tent seam sealer would have sealed them. I just didn't care enough to fix the problem.

If you want to make a bag that hangs from the dinghy seat to keep life jackets/pfds and a repair kit in, that could be done, with seam sealer, and would probably work a long time.

If you have a need for jerry jug covers, they're easy to make and keep the UV off the jug....and, don't have to be water proof.

Another application could be a hatch dodger.

I've seen home made windlass covers, lpg bottle covers, even fender covers. And Jim once made a partial cushion cover of vinyl, to cover the end of the cushion by the nav station, so wet foulies wouldn't bother the cushion underneath.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2023, 16:02   #5

Clarification.

I am not looking for projects that require waterproof material or how to waterproof the fabric at the needle holes.

I am just looking for projects.
Old 04-09-2023, 19:13   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I used reinforced vinyl fabric to make a "hammock" under old leaky Perkins to catch the plentiful oil drips (before I repowered) to keep oil out of the (deep!) bilge sump under the engine.

Also could be used to make mast boots, winch covers, outboard cover, hatch covers. If you've got a hard dinghy, glue it around pool noodles and lash them to the gunnels for permanent fenders and additional floatation.

If you figure out how to seal the seams (glue with vinyl cement?), make dry bags to bring in the dinghy.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 21:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I used reinforced vinyl fabric to make a "hammock" under old leaky Perkins to catch the plentiful oil drips (before I repowered) to keep oil out of the (deep!) bilge sump under the engine.

Also could be used to make mast boots, winch covers, outboard cover, hatch covers. If you've got a hard dinghy, glue it around pool noodles and lash them to the gunnels for permanent fenders and additional floatation.

If you figure out how to seal the seams (glue with vinyl cement?), make dry bags to bring in the dinghy.

Thank you!

Tags
fabric, project