Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2023, 05:40   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Growing lettuce and other vegetables aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Any idea if it's possible to grow cilantro (the green leafy part of coriander, in some parts of the world) that way? It'd be nice to have a fresh stash of it to harvest when we need a bit for guacamole, etc.
Yes you can grow cilantro using hydroponics

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:42   #47

Boat: McIntosh 47

Great thread! This inspires me to follow your example - work the kinks out at home and then move it aboard. Thanks!
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 03:22   #48

Awesome!! Looks like a great idea.
Catherine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 12:47   #49

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Those sprouting trays are cool but I'm not sure exactly how they work for the first few days. Do you have to spray them? If so you can put an air bubbler in the bottom tray. I would love to see a comparison between sunflower in coconut choir, vermiculite and just a bubbler.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 18:10   #50
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Those sprouting trays are cool but I'm not sure exactly how they work for the first few days. Do you have to spray them? If so you can put an air bubbler in the bottom tray. I would love to see a comparison between sunflower in coconut choir, vermiculite and just a bubbler.
We have ended up using two different crops for these: speckled pea micro greens and a salad mix micro greens.

The speckled peas are first soaked for 24h then spread into the white mesh insert. We put another green tray upside down on top and spray them every morning and evening, also a bit of spray in the lower green tray and the upper one as well to create humidity. After a couple days they have roots down into the trays and we start bottom feeding with nutrient solution.

The salad mix are seeds from radish, broccoli, cabbage etc. and they need a medium. We spread some coco coir in the white mesh insert, soak it with the plant sprayer and sew into that… basically just sprinkling the seeds over it. Spray it every morning and night until roots reach down then switch to bottom feeding.

For this spraying with the plant sprayer, we add some hydrogen peroxide to the filtered tap water to prevent mildew.
For nutrient solution we use General Hydroponics FloraGro.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 17:13   #51

Boat: sailboat

Read some of the posts, not all, so "sorry" for any redundancy.

Sailing The Farm was exciting .. until I read it ... not a vegetarian, and know how much fresh water it takes to sprout ... and that a sprouting $eed $ource is necessary ... so ... phtbtttt for that idea :-(

Have tried several sprouting kits/ methods. For soaking / quick sprouts, like lentils, or wheat for bread, my preference is this:

https://masonjarlifestyle.com/produc...f7e9896b&_ss=r

For actual green sprouts like alfalfa, radish, broccoli, ..., for stir fry or salads, I first soak the seeds with the Mason jar lid, then grow them with this kit:

https://www.trueleafmarket.com/produ...-seed-sprouter

True Leaf Market has good organic sprouting (and other) seeds.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote