Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 10:19   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter
Re: Folding dolly or luggage cart/dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I've had one of these for about twenty years. If I were buying it today, I'd spring for the solid tires instead of the pneumatic.
Tipke Manufacturing Company, Inc.
+1
This cart is great. Sure it will haul your groceries back to the boat. But can any of the other carts mentioned haul six 6 gallon jerry jugs full of diesel? This one can. I will go for the solid wheels next time.

The only reason we needed to replace the last one was because it was run over by an F150!
Old 21-08-2016, 10:42   #17

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

I use a folding type as suggested by Mike O'Reilly - use it every day for lugging tool boxes - it's the best
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 10:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have one similar to Mike Reilly's post that I got at Costco. Has worked for me hauling large pieces of plywood, chain, fuel tank, etc. to the boat. Bought a folding plastic box, also from Costco, to haul small stuff. Both fold flat and take up virtually no space on the floor of my trunk. If stored size is an issue it's hard to beat this combination. Handle length hasn't been a problem. The dolly will stand on it's own but doesn't take much of a push to have the platform fold and the thing fall over. Hasn't been an issue but something to be aware of. The dolly is mostly aluminum so great for on board use though mine lives in my car trunk.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:01   #19

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I forgot to mention the reason I want 2 carts: one to live in the truck to take stuff to the boat and one to live on the boat to take stuff to the truck.

Our boat is a quarter mile from the truck and with 9-11' tides if you forget and extra trip to get the cart can be time consuming and exasperating. Trust me I know. When I get the second one I may label one "Boat" and one "Truck" so that each can make its way back to assigned position.

This won't help cruisers without a home base (and I hope to be one soon), but I expect it'll make my dock life a bit easier....

(and I expect another rationale to buy the cheap ones....er...reasonable)
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:25   #20

Boat: Spindrift 46 Center Cockpit

I have one of these that I bought at Costco. It works great and carries heavy loads. It is actually my second one. I left the first one at the top of the Marina Ramp for 15 minutes and someone took it.
frantzjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:28   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Depends on the size of the boat. I've been happy with one of these for many years. Rather I have used them for many years, but the only last 2-3 of heavy use (I haul 5 gallon gas cans across a field).

They fold up tiny and you can stack quite a bit. Iv'e used other carts, and these are just handier, for me. West Marine sells them for more money.

The main thing that goes wrong is that the hinge pins fall out. Just drop in a common nail and use it for another year or two. I've gotten several for free, left by the dumpster just missing a pin.
Old 21-08-2016, 11:28   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The Costco one is my go-to handtruck. Reasonably light and sturdy. But I have an older, larger, stronger "RuxXac Fold-Flat Cart" which I think is the original of that whole product line. Oddly enough made by the Bon Ami soap "Faultless Starch" company. Damned expensive, was on a very good sale at West one day. Cast magnesium? aluminum? parts, big wheels. Also not perfect but it takes 200# loads (which I'm sure exceed the rating) without complaint, as long as you don't launch it over stone stairs and curbs too rapidly. I think you'd have to look for a commercial product from MagLiner to find anything stronger.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:30   #23
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like something like this. It has stout construction and big wheels to get over the bumpy roads. Plus it folds down to a small size.

Folding Hand Truck - Lee Valley Tools

Not cheap, but looks like it will last. I don't have one yet. Next X-mas.
I have had this exact folding dolly for 17 years: Very strong, light, excellent wheels, folds very compactly.
Old 21-08-2016, 12:08   #24

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I have had this exact folding dolly for 17 years: Very strong, light, excellent wheels, folds very compactly.
I've bought the Rigid version of this design three times and broken each at the folding mechanism that folds the wheels. I like the design (except for the tendency to fold up) but am leery of that folding wheel.

I've been using the below very compact luggage cart for the last year and it's holding up, also the platform doesn't fold up while loading it.

lightest folding luggage cart, free shipping-Handtrucks2go.com

lightest folding luggage cart, free shipping-Handtrucks2go.com
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:47   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've used one of these things for a few years. They're good for light duty work, but the tiny wheels and cheap build make them hard to use on rough terrain or with heavy loads. I do like the compact nature, and the built in box is great.

Interesting reviews on the hand truck. The one I played with didn't have the flip up problems. I much prefer the robust nature of it, and the big wheels are easier to use on rough roads or up/down stairs. I figure I set up a folding box to do groceries with, and it would still be able to haul batteries around (or other heavy things).

Folding luggage carts look interesting too. Might be the ticket. Gonna check those out.
Old 21-08-2016, 12:51   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The only thing I don't like about my Tipke is the pneumatic tires. They are flat every time I want to use it. I do like the big tires as it rolls over rough and soft ground. I don't need to stay on pavement.

I also have one of the folding hand trucks that Mike recommended. I use it to carry 80 pounds of cat litter from my truck into my house every couple of weeks. I really love it. Oh damn, today is litter day.
Old 21-08-2016, 13:03   #27

This is the model we used on our last two cruises. I've hauled four six volt golf car batteries, and four six gallon jerry cans of water in it.
Old 21-08-2016, 13:51   #28

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

I have the Burley Travoi cart but got it for way less than this one. It will ride behind my folding bike as well as easily trail behind me with one hand. It will go over curbs slowly and grass gravel, etc. It folds up to less than half its height and very flat with its wheels inside its bag. I have put it under the grocery cart then filled it out side the store. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...RLdCWQQwzwI0gE.
It is very light weight.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-08-2016, 14:04   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like something like this. It has stout construction and big wheels to get over the bumpy roads. Plus it folds down to a small size.

Folding Hand Truck - Lee Valley Tools

Not cheap, but looks like it will last. I don't have one yet. Next X-mas.
Ours looks like this one but came from West Marine about 6 yrs ago. I think one with a 150 lb. limit and larger, solid wheels would be better, but so far it does what we ask of it., but not big enough for two 20 liter jerry jugs. Also, although it can cope with open land, it really prefers pavement, the smoother, the better, more your parking lot kind of personality than open fields.

A.
Old 21-08-2016, 14:29   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We have, over the years, tried various trolleys and all have failed due to overloading. Getting one with small tyres is a mistake when it comes to sandy, grassy, stoney paths and as for kerbs......
Load up with tinned foodstuffs and watch how long it takes before the cheap tubing collapses of the wheels break off. Put a 50 litre can of diesel on it and see how long it lasts. We eventually bought a quick assembley outboard engine trolley in Turkey a few years ago, rated for up to 120kg (265lb). It is nothing like the usual Far Eastern stuff - this was made in Lithuania and is an unusual design. It has a platform base which we add a piece of marine ply to with two 316 bolts with butterfly nuts. We also painted it with Finnigans and it is lasting! Had a foldit cart been available I would have likely bought it but this trolley has been great so far - and cost around $100. (I tried adding a pic but it wouldnt attach).
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote