Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 21:53   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Again, mahi's do not have mates. They spawn in schools with males and females all releasing their gametes together and at random.

Mark

Sounds like a party I went to once! LOL. Sorry, that was a fish story...
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 17:48   #47

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Re: Eating 1 of 2 Mahi Mahi

Hi everybody,
I recently read that most farmed fish require 3 pounds of ground up fish meal for every marketable pound of farmed fish. That doesn't seem very ecologically sound to me, with out all the other worries with the farmed product. It seems like there must be a lot of wild fish going into the fish meal for the farms. BTW, I eat what I catch, but I do throw older, obviously mature fish back so that they can continue to propagate the species.
All this talk about eating fish has got my stomach growling

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 17:53   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Bill! Did anyone tell you that your picture looks like that of a Hollywood actor?; Mel Gibson. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Nothing like a fish caught fresh out of the ocean, eaten as you fillet it with Wasabi and Shoyu while it's still quivering.
DANG! Man o man, that is the best ain't it?

The other side of that coin is I am such a snob when ordering anything seafood in a restaurant. "Fresh frozen" is their idea of fresh. Boy, do I have news for them! And when in college I was a delivery driver for a friend who had built a seafood distribution business. I got to see how the seafood biz really is.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:04   #50

I use the Seafood Watch from the Monterey Bay Aquarium to decide which seafood is safe and ecological to eat.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...ch.aspx?s=Mahi

They have pocket guides for the U.S. There may be other sources for outside the U.S. Many sources of Mahi Mahi are good to eat.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c.../download.aspx
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 22:25   #51

Boat: Celestial 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido
I recently read that most farmed fish require 3 pounds of ground up fish meal for every marketable pound of farmed fish. That doesn't seem very ecologically sound to me...

For cattle its about 15 pounds feed per pound of beef. Farmed fish has a big advantage there.

Of course you could eat the fish meal directly if having feelings of guilt.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 22:41   #52

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
For cattle its about 15 pounds feed per pound of beef. Farmed fish has a big advantage there.

Of course you could eat the fish meal directly if having feelings of guilt.
I thought cows were herbivores?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 23:31   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
I recently read that most farmed fish require 3 pounds of ground up fish meal for every marketable pound of farmed fish. That doesn't seem very ecologically sound to me, with out all the other worries with the farmed product. It seems like there must be a lot of wild fish going into the fish meal for the farms......
Cheers, Bill
I think fish meal is composed mainly of discarded bits of processed fish ie the bones and organs and intestines (it is also used as fertiliser).

Goes a long way to explaining why farmed fish tastes yuk

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:05   #54

Boat: Norseman 447

Mahi Mahi are one of the fastest growing and most fecund fish in the sea only live for approx 5yrs reach sexual maturity in about 6 months and breed all year round, literally the rabbit of the sea, they also can have huge population explosions due to optimal conditions at spawning leading to high survival rates, probably one of the most enviromentally safe fish to eat. there have also been commercially farmed using raceway type systems with varying degrees of success.
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34   #55

Whatever the reality, there is very often exactly one other Mahi-Mahi nearby when one is landed. Not two others. Not a school. Just one hanging around the transom for a minute. Never quite long enough to do anything about getting both. They may hunt in pairs.

The ones around here are tiny compared to the monsters off western Mexico where there does not seem to be any shortage.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12   #56

Fish meal is mostly made of menhaden, and the fishery for that is just something else. Planes fly over and spot the schools, and then the boats swoop in with massive purse nets. It's a slaughter. And you don't EVEN want to live near a "pogy factory."
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

All living creatures feel. Just like you and me.

I no longer fish for same reasons. (I still eat flying fish - the ones I fail to hear land on our deck).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
All living creatures feel. Just like you and me.

I no longer fish for same reasons. (I still eat flying fish - the ones I fail to hear land on our deck).

b.
Aside fron the occasionall stiff dead little fish found on deck, being a vegetarian is a hard row to hoe while cruising.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15   #59

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If it's a good to eat fish.we eat it or freeze it. or can it !! We waste little or nothing of the fish we catch, we return the innards to the sea for the crabs and meat eating fish ! We have been doing this for more years then we like to think about ! And it seems like we are catching and seeing more fish then ever before ! At least down here in the Gulf ! Even after the BP spill ! Anyone else seeing a rise in the Mahi Mahi population down hre in the gulf like we are ?? Or are we just getting lucky ?? Yall that think folks waste fish, remember Im one of the old guys who even use the belly skin of haulibut for makeing lures ! LOL
Old 09-06-2013, 09:30   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If it's a good to eat fish.we eat it or freeze it. or can it !! We waste little or nothing of the fish we catch, we return the innards to the sea for the crabs and meat eating fish ! We have been doing this for more years then we like to think about ! And it seems like we are catching and seeing more fish then ever before ! At least down here in the Gulf ! Even after the BP spill ! Anyone else seeing a rise in the Mahi Mahi population down hre in the gulf like we are ?? Or are we just getting lucky ?? Yall that think folks waste fish, remember Im one of the old guys who even use the belly skin of haulibut for makeing lures ! LOL
I sure would like to spend a few days fishing with someone like you because I seem to catch very little and loose a lot of tackle.