Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2024, 08:57   #1

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
dishes for cruising

In my youth, back i the dark ages, we had Corelle dishware. 3 boys, never a broken dish. I bought some for my boat. Living in a marina or cruising the river already broken 3. Sigh

I see on some you tube channels people have dishes with raised sides which makes sense out at sea.

Plastic dishware doesn't work well with knives and doesn't clean as well.

All that said, what are you using as your cruise?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 09:09   #2

Re: dishes for cruising

We have a set of "marine" dishes that have rubber rings in the bottom so they don't slide. I suspect they are melamine (plastic). But our food doesn't need much cutting so no issues so far.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 09:17   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

The problem with Corelle is that when it does break it forms hundreds of tiny, sharp shards which go everywhere. I had it on my RV. I won't allow it on my boat for safety reasons.

I use melamine. The only serious disadvantage is that it can't be used in a microwave. We don't have a microwave aboard so that doesn't matter much. Yes it can be gouged with a knife or scratched with abrasives, don't do that. There are many patterns from which to choose. I find that the admiralty has excellent taste in this area and leave it entirely to her discretion. When hand washed it will last for hundreds of meals before looking shoddy at which point well yes it is time for replacement.

We generally use metal cups, mostly the double-wall vacuum insulated kind.

I have been told that high-quality china is actually quite break resistant and something to consider for use aboard.
Old 27-03-2024, 09:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
In my youth, back i the dark ages, we had Corelle dishware. 3 boys, never a broken dish. I bought some for my boat. Living in a marina or cruising the river already broken 3. Sigh

I see on some you tube channels people have dishes with raised sides which makes sense out at sea.

Plastic dishware doesn't work well with knives and doesn't clean as well.

All that said, what are you using as your cruise?
Corelle does break though, and when it does, it's very much like glass rather than like ceramic.
We really liked out high quality Dansk dishware. There's a ton of it on Ebay etc. It's high quality dense ceramic so doesn't break easy. The original Japanese was the best, then they moved production to Portugal and it's good.
You can use white silicone on any dish if you want the non slip feature. Just run a bead on the plate and then sit it on wax paper until it sets up! I still have one Dansk bowl with the silicone still on it after 25+ years! This particular one has a bead that's a bit heavy! DOesn't have to be that thick.
Certain models of Dansk have a raised lip perimeter which is good at sea or on your lap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (3).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	288140  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:09   #5

Boat: sailboat

Seriously??

As much as possible, any food-related items aboard should be stainless steel. Go to your local Pet Smart or Wal-Mart, or Tractor Supply or other feed store and buy yourself a set of dog bowls. I have a set of regular dog bowls for use at the dock, and a set with non-skid bottoms for underway.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:21   #6

Boat: CM50 (launch 2025)

As a French I would better be dead than eating in a SS dog bowl
(And SS is too heavy)
ozolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:28   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kello View Post
Seriously??

As much as possible, any food-related items aboard should be stainless steel. Go to your local Pet Smart or Wal-Mart, or Tractor Supply or other feed store and buy yourself a set of dog bowls. I have a set of regular dog bowls for use at the dock, and a set with non-skid bottoms for underway.
Tupperware is probably much better.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:35   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We have a mixture of lots of different stuff. Big and small melamine bowls with silicone rings on the bottom for when it is rough. Dansk bowls and plates (our wedding dishes) for most of the time. Stainless steel motion mugs with rubber bottoms and sealing lids for most hot drinks. Stainless steel wine goblets. I do think plastic cups for drinking water are the best, because those tend to be the most likely objects to hit the floor occasionally.
Old 27-03-2024, 14:37   #9

Boat: sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozolli View Post
(And SS is too heavy)
Howdy ozolli, I've tried my grandma's china, Corelle, glass, other dishes ... and all were frustrating. SS dog bowls are much lighter and easier to clean than anything I have tried.

The stainless dog bowl idea is not mine, it is from another popular cruiser, and it works for me.

Regardless, gourmet cooking is a hobby of mine, one of my teachers was a Cordon Bleu graduate. Please share your favorite bread recipe that I don't already know. Tomorrow I will buy a whole chicken, so a new chicken recipe would be welcome as well. FYI, I only eat in-season and organic, so I am limited to available seasonal ingredients at 30N. Currently my garden has collards, kale, basil, dill, carrots and cilantro. I look forward to your suggestions!
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:41   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Guess I'm the odd man out (again). We've used Corelle ware on board for decades now. Plates, large and small, bowls. After all these years I've only broken one plate. They seem fine to me.

I'd probably look at other options if I was buying new, but I feel no need since the Corelle ware has been just fine.
Old 27-03-2024, 15:21   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I love Corelle, but when it breaks it explodes, literally. The fabrication technique that makes it very strong for its weight also puts a lot of potential energy in the plate. Demonstrated to me by my materials sciences professor first year of college.

I would probably be OK with Corelle despite the down sides, at least for the serving bowls.

There are microwave safe plastic dinnerware available too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 16:42   #12

correlle wear dishes..durable.. microwaveable..
yes I destroyed a plate that was micro safe..popped like popcorn..
its learn to live with it or just plastic plates(disposal problem)..
just my thoughts. none right nor wrong
live like home or camping. we choose like home.
stainless dishes don't work in a microwave oven ever..

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 17:01   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, we have used heavy pottery dishes, for years. There has been some breakage. The downside has mainly been their weight. I'd replace them with the same, or add to them if there were a direct replacement.

That said, we've been using Corelle since my daughter and her family came to visit in New Caledonia, almost 20 yrs. ago, now. No problems, so far, with the Corelle. We have had glass shatter on the cabin sole, and it is a real pita to clean up, so I hope the Corelle stays intact, for the near future.

Ann
Old 27-03-2024, 20:13   #14

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kello View Post
Howdy ozolli, I've tried my grandma's china, Corelle, glass, other dishes ... and all were frustrating. SS dog bowls are much lighter and easier to clean than anything I have tried.

The stainless dog bowl idea is not mine, it is from another popular cruiser, and it works for me.

Regardless, gourmet cooking is a hobby of mine, one of my teachers was a Cordon Bleu graduate. Please share your favorite bread recipe that I don't already know. Tomorrow I will buy a whole chicken, so a new chicken recipe would be welcome as well. FYI, I only eat in-season and organic, so I am limited to available seasonal ingredients at 30N. Currently my garden has collards, kale, basil, dill, carrots and cilantro. I look forward to your suggestions!

I don't have a fav bread recipe yet but I will be happy to give you a pro tip when it comes to baking bread. Don't forget the baking soda. Don't have to guess how I learned that one the other night
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 21:55   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozolli View Post
(And SS is too heavy)

Indeed! Ick!

We are yet another who uses melamine. Yes, it doesn't like knives, but still lasts at least 5 years, which is good enough for me. Melamine is light and looks nice.

Can't go in the microwave, so you need other dishes for that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising