Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2012, 11:22   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Can you live off the bounty of the sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
Yeah, huge amounts of water can be stored from a moderate rain, especially if the wind is calm enough to spread out a lot of canvas square footage to collect it.

I'm sure what you're saying CAN be done. I agree though: what for?

We have a tarp made to collet water. It is coated and fits such that there is a drain connected to the deck water port. it covers the entire boom (20 feet). Lots of water.

Watch out for excessively large predator fish cought off reefs. Research ciguatera. Made my brother sick for over a year.
Ciguatera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 11:34   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Noah's Ark Replica Schagen Netherlands Photo Gallery by PaultheDane at pbase.com

Here's a good boat where you can take the farm along with you.

Sounds great to me right now. After a few years, I might worry a little about it being too repeative and hard.

But, I would try sailing to where the weather is nice both North and South.
Where did they put the T-Rex,Bronosaureses,Aliasaureas,etc,German Shepards,Pit bulls,Cockers,Boxers,english bulldogs,Pointers,etc..lol..not enough room it is going to have to be a lot bigger!..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 15:24   #78

Boat: a sailing boat

The desalination unit will fail one day - it needs service parts and has a limited life anyways. But you can stay in rainy areas and catch rainwater, except that they are not the nicest places to be, unless you are British.

Fish seems aplenty in colder waters, but in the tropics there is often no fish for days.

So to say, build a good rain catcher and sail the mid-latitudes / cold waters.

Beware fish is not enough to keep you healthy over long periods of time - you need veggies and beer too! Think scurvy ;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 15:47   #79
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
Maybe some do not understand the meaning of "meat on the hoof". That is buying live animals. That would mean I inspect the farm, see how the animals are raised, what they are fed, the general health of the herd, and then I butcher the animal myself. I do not eat meat from animals that have received vaccanations, that is a real no no in my boat. (pun intended). As far as dairy, I will be present to observe the animal and milking and processing. I do not buy dairy nor meat here in America from chain grocery stores now, that stuff will kill you. If I don't produce it myself, I buy it from farmers I know and personally inspect their farms and their methods.
I envy you, and totally agree with you, but damn you must have a much bigger freezer and fridge than i do on my sail boat

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 15:56   #80
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With regard to the OP's question, the short answer is no you cant live indefinitely off the sea...without outside assistance.

It would have been much easier 50-100 years ago to provide your protein needs but in most crusing locations with skills you can do this realtively easiely. In certain other areas with high density surface seaweed you can also supplement your diet to provide many minerals and vitamins...

...however without powdered ascorbic acid you will be in trouble really quickly...

survive for months or a year or even years with proper planning and proper supplements is doable, pleasant probably not but doable yes.

Just leave on a boat with 3 months of general supplies and hope to live for years at sea? Totally biologically impossible...

Old 16-09-2012, 10:34   #81

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
I envy you, and totally agree with you, but damn you must have a much bigger freezer and fridge than i do on my sail boat
For most freezers, the single biggest space hog is dead air. If one packs a freezer with unfrozen meat in plastic, and is careful how the meat is cut and careful to not have any air spaces, then one can get about 60 pounds of meat per cubic foot of space.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 11:24   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
For most freezers, the single biggest space hog is dead air. If one packs a freezer with unfrozen meat in plastic, and is careful how the meat is cut and careful to not have any air spaces, then one can get about 60 pounds of meat per cubic foot of space.
from my experiance taking back unfrozen meat to the boat is a nono,as if you are not extremly careful it has gone bad by the time you get it back to the boat.

when buying meat in bulk we will shop around untill we find a suitable butcher,then order and pay for the meat and get them to pack it in 500g portions and put it in their deep freeze before picking it up in a frozen state in styrene boxes or our own cooler boxes,and quickly transport it back to the boat for packing in our 200l deepfreeze
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 12:23   #83

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
when buying meat in bulk we will shop around untill we find a suitable butcher,then order and pay for the meat and get them to pack it in 500g portions and put it in their deep freeze before picking it up in a frozen state in styrene boxes or our own cooler boxes,and quickly transport it back to the boat for packing in our 200l deepfreeze
Absolutely the correct way of doing it.
Old 16-09-2012, 16:51   #84

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
With so many detailed responses to the question, it would seem we have folks on here that have given much thought to this, and wish they could spend more time on the water.
Old 17-09-2012, 01:00   #85
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is a great book called Sailing the Farm that covers many techniques for living off the sea

Old 17-09-2012, 18:26   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Noah's Ark Replica Schagen Netherlands Photo Gallery by PaultheDane at pbase.com

Here's a good boat where you can take the farm along with you.
But that boat is only good for 40 days.
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 00:47   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Well, the Eskimos come close by eating anything they can gather, harpoon or catch....
Not any more - because a large proportion of their diet was supplied by large, wide-ranging sea creatures from the top of the food chain, it got to the point that mothers with a semi-traditional diet were strongly advised to desist from breastfeeding, because of the heavy metal content in their breastmilk.

I thought of this recently when a particularly ignorant person was 'explaining' that the linkage between ozone depletion and CFCs was a 'crock', on the basis that nobody in Antarctica uses CFCs.

On the OP question: apart from the other nutritional deficiencies raised by others, local problems like ciguatera, (and the fact that the 'bounty' has long collapsed in many areas, from overfishing) it's hard to get a balancing amount of carbohydrate from the "bounty of the sea". Not great to overdose on protein for too long...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 04:04   #88
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
from my experiance taking back unfrozen meat to the boat is a nono,as if you are not extremly careful it has gone bad by the time you get it back to the boat.

agh the modern western fascination with refrigeration. To suggest that fresh meat spoils in a couple of hours is not true, even in hot climates. ( I would exempt minced beef from this , I never allow mince unrefrigerated for more then an hour or two, in fact I dont like the product at all).

I do find horse meat and venison can tolerate less immediate refrigeration, there are some that like it close to rotten

dave
Old 18-09-2012, 06:42   #89

Boat: contessa 32

I trailed a fishing lure across the " productive" waters of the N. Atlantic in a 30 day crossing . Not even a nibble. Not much rain either ; glad I brought my own food and drink.
Still managed to loose a lot of weight; food went down ,just didn't stay there. Always have peanut butter on board nowadays.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 07:30   #90

Boat: Pearson Freedom 44

I have not found a lot of info on selling your catch. Is this possible without a commercial license in the states? I don't really want to be in one place all the time and can not see getting a license for each state before going fishing. Local waters have good fishing but you almost need to be a local to know the good fishing spots. I think being a little more off shore and catching Dolphin and the various Tuna's would be rather profitable for someone with no expenses or bills. I am not a good researcher or I would have already found my answer and I will continue to research the internet until I am on the water and can ask my questions first hand. Until then, does anyone sell what they catch?
sarkastic is offline   Reply With Quote