Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 20:37   #331
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: US Navy destroyer collision

Thanks for sharing that...my prayers are with them.all
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 01:58   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
... But using words like "tyrannical" is pretty over the top when you are using it mostly because the Navy hasn't satisfied your curiosity about a prior collision. You knowing all the intimate details won't change anything or accomplish anything. ...
I think you misunderstand my use of the word "tyrannical". If Captain Phillips said something like - This is a Navy matter and none of your business! I would not have a problem, and would not consider it tyrannical. Instead, he is demanding for us to be patient - RIGHT NOW! See the hypocrisy? And I believe them coming out with the details would accomplish much. It would allow us to trust them more, not to mention make them more accountable to the public. There is no way to know what happened on the USS Porter to cause the obvious dysfunction we can hear on the audio recording, and so do not know if the same chain of events led to the collision on the USS Fitzgerald.

A cruder way to view what Capt Phillips wrote is he is pissing on our shoes and telling us it is raining.
TwoBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 02:04   #333

I think the trackline of the USS Fitzgerald will be available from commercial/civilian sources. There we a LOT of vessels out there, not to mention shore based radar. That won't tell us what might have happened on the bridge of either ship, though.
TwoBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 02:21   #334
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am pretty sure the Fitzgerald's track is already available from the Japanese, but they have been requested not to make public.

This latest from Gcaptain as a result of the back lash I think supports my conjecture that releasing Fitz's track would dilute all the speculation on both sides

http://gcaptain.com/uss-fitzgerald-f...Captain.com%29
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 04:02   #335

I think this was a deliberate attack. Look at YouTube many think we were disabled by an electronic attack then rammed. I said in my first reply this was not an accident. I think we were dead in the water when hit.
dan swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 04:08   #336

I think this was not an accident. I think we were attacked by an electronic device and it rendered all our electronics not working, we were dead in the water when hit. I think this was an intentional act.
Old 24-06-2017, 04:49   #337

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

So the ACX Crystal was capable of generating an EMP that could knock out all electronics and motive power on a Navy destroyer? But simultaneously not effect their own electronics? So that means basically a directed EMP ray gun. If that existed, I doubt its first use would be on a container ship. And even if somehow the Fitz's electronics were zapped, but they still had engine power, then plain old eyeballs could've guided them away from collision.

I know it's hard to believe an accident this stupid could happen, but I think the case for deliberate ramming strains credulity even more.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 05:22   #338
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I'm a simple guy. I'm looking at the data available. Photos, AIS track, Japanese news reports.

The accident happened an hour earlier than the Navy admits.
That matches how I interpret the AIS track.
The Fitz damage is from bow to stern, she ran into something.
The CS damage is from stern to bow, look at scrape marks. She was hit by a ship crossing from behind running from Port to Starboard.
The CS was in front of the Fitz.
The Fitz did not transmit AIS, the CS did.

That little list makes it pretty clear to me, barring something very shocking and unexpected.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 05:49   #339

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan swift View Post
I think this was not an accident. I think we were attacked by an electronic device and it rendered all our electronics not working, we were dead in the water when hit. I think this was an intentional act.
A classic example of Poe's Law.

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture that states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 06:02   #340

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A classic example of Poe's Law.

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture that states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views
Looks like we both read Stuff.co
The three old rules that explain basically the entire internet in 2017 | Stuff.co.nz

Personally I am more inclined to run with the ISIS holding the helmsman's crew to ransom in the Philipines and telling him they would all have their heads chopped off if he didn't find and sink a USN ship conspiricy theory that someone here mentioned a few days ago....
Old 24-06-2017, 07:07   #341

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

My grandfather, a farmer, used to say: "Send a boy to do a man's job and he will do a man's job. Send two boys to do a man's job and they will do half a job. Send three boys to do a man's job and they will do no job at all."

The parallel I'm seeing with the Fitzgerald is, with a dozen men on watch, every man aware of there being a dozen skilled compatriots at various watch stations, each relied on the other and felt no great compulsion to take responsibility for his/her own watch.

Tell me it ain't so.

What other explanation can you offer for this incomprehensible situation?
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 07:15   #342

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Great attitude, when likely guilty....
Blame the Other Guy.
Muddy the waters.
Sow Confusion.
Obfiscate
Deny...
Deny...
Deny.
Propose "Alternate Facts". (Take the lead from the President) LOL
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 07:38   #343

Hello all,
I have posted my thoughts a few times and I can't find my post on the forum. Our boat was attacked. This was a deliberate act. I think we were disabled and rammed. Check out some of the news arrivals on YouTube. Our media will not be telling us the truth for a wile yet.
Old 24-06-2017, 09:21   #344

Quote:
Hello all,
I have posted my thoughts a few times and I can't find my post on the forum. Our boat was attacked. This was a deliberate act. I think we were disabled and rammed. Check out some of the news arrivals on YouTube. Our media will not be telling us the truth for a wile yet.
All of your posts are still there... and on this accident, your posts are still nonsensical and not supported by any of the evidence available to date. You really think an unarmed merchant ship could deliberately ram a US warship and then just sail away from that, without some sort of military response?

Turn off the computer and go sailing.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 09:49   #345

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlocked View Post
I think you misunderstand my use of the word "tyrannical". If Captain Phillips said something like - This is a Navy matter and none of your business! I would not have a problem, and would not consider it tyrannical. Instead, he is demanding for us to be patient - RIGHT NOW! See the hypocrisy? And I believe them coming out with the details would accomplish much. It would allow us to trust them more, not to mention make them more accountable to the public. There is no way to know what happened on the USS Porter to cause the obvious dysfunction we can hear on the audio recording, and so do not know if the same chain of events led to the collision on the USS Fitzgerald.

A cruder way to view what Capt Phillips wrote is he is pissing on our shoes and telling us it is raining.

I honestly don't get why him asking that we be patient right now (later?) is remotely hypocritical. In all accidents it's best to wait until all the facts are gathered and verified before speculating too much about details you're not even sure are true and then apportioning blame based on your assumptions.

Why should the US Navy care whether you trust them?! Do you care whether the Navy trusts you enough to release to the public every detail about an incident you were involved in that had nothing to do with the Navy? I didn't think so. Hopefully the Navy addressed the errors leading to the Porter collision, but I don't know why you think that you should be privy to those details or what good it would do anyone except to satisfy your curiosity.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision, Japan, navy