Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 08:05   #511
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: US Navy destroyer collision

Newhaul,

Your not alone, or at least so says ok what's her name, my Wife.

Anyway, more to the point, we all assume that they have this radar and such and it works as intended. I was thinking of the post above that noted the fire control radar and its resolution capacity.

But.....
Is it turned on?
Is it working as expected?
Do we know how to interpret what it says?
Can we communicate that to the bridge?
Will they listen?

Again, reflecting back to the Porter. Clearly they were not using AIS inputs. Did they have it? Was it turned on? Etc.?

With the Japanese not being permitted to interview the bridge crew we may never know the answer to those questions. Sadly this may be a case where it will require a lawsuit by either the Crystals owners or the family of the deceased to bring the truth to light.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 08:27   #512
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Who needs the Truth?

https://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 08:50   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Who needs the Truth?

https://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk
Good clip... I alluded in an earlier post about how these are warriors, not school crossing guards. I mean no disrespect. The mindset on a destroyer may very well be to - let's say it - DESTROY. Like in the clip, it raises the question of what we really expect from these guys. They may very well have "hot-dogged" themselves into this collision. Warriors do live on the edge, and a band of warriors will look after their own. The basic facts of the track of the USS Fitzgerald will surely become known, but just what transpired on the bridge, probably not. I doubt if the sailors are telling their own investigators the whole truth.
TwoBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 10:41   #514
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Somewhere I picked up the idea that, at one time, it was the policy of the British Navy to court martial any Captain who lost his ship, no matter the situation. If nothing else they could give him a clean hearing and acquittal?
Old 30-06-2017, 10:52   #515

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Read today that the Navy is concerned about the ability to dry dock and possibly even repair the Fitz. While the keel is intact, the superstructure may have been torqued by the impact, affecting the alignment of the large phased-array radars.

A fellow web-friend mentioned that when the Cole was repaired, the $250million was what was reported, but the Navy supposedly paid about the cost of a new ship to make her whole again.

Pride is a powerful motivator.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 12:10   #516

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Yes, anytime a naval vessel is lost, the RN will generally hold a court of inquiry and may recommend a court martial, as in the case of William Bligh, Lieutenant & Commander of HMS Bounty. He was found innocent of wrong doing and returned to duty, but was mildly chastized by the court for being too lenient with his crew during the voyage which ended in mutiny.

An interesting, and possibly pertinent case which might be considered a precedent in the current discussion involved a collision between a USN warship and a fishing boat off Cape Flattery

http://www.washingtonhistory.org/fil...-2004-hall.pdf

It is an interesting read.
Old 30-06-2017, 14:06   #517

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Astrid,

Thank you for posting that link. It was, as you suggested, an interesting read.
Old 30-06-2017, 14:53   #518

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Yes, anytime a naval vessel is lost, the RN will generally hold a court of inquiry and may recommend a court martial, as in the case of William Bligh, Lieutenant & Commander of HMS Bounty. He was found innocent of wrong doing and returned to duty, but was mildly chastized by the court for being too lenient with his crew during the voyage which ended in mutiny.

An interesting, and possibly pertinent case which might be considered a precedent in the current discussion involved a collision between a USN warship and a fishing boat off Cape Flattery

http://www.washingtonhistory.org/fil...-2004-hall.pdf

It is an interesting read.
Incredibly lenient penalty from the court martial considering the circumstances - just moved back 3 places in the seniority list after running down a vessel resulting in deaths!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 15:19   #519
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

But the process did shed light on the actions of that night. That's the main thing, looking at the truth.
Old 30-06-2017, 15:51   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post

A fellow web-friend mentioned that when the Cole was repaired, the $250million was what was reported, but the Navy supposedly paid about the cost of a new ship to make her whole again.

Pride is a powerful motivator.

Tankersteve
The Cole rebuild wasn't about pride as much as it was not allowing the terrorists to have claimed a USN warship.

Had the Cole been stricken (lost) it would have been a powerful propaganda tool for terrorists going forward so it was decided not to let that happen.

Different scenario here.

Other occasions, other outcomes:

When the San Francisco hit the underwater sea mount she had recently been refueled so she was (costly) repaired by receiving a grafted bow from the Honolulu who was slated for decommissioning.

When the Miami was heavily damaged by a disgruntled shipyard worker/arsonist she was initially going to be repaired but as the estimates increased it was determined that it would be better to refuel another boat instead and scrap Miami as she had only been in the yard for a couple of months.

All good decisions in my opinion.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:12   #521
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlocked View Post

The basic facts of the track of the USS Fitzgerald will surely become known, but just what transpired on the bridge, probably not.
I understand that what happened on the Bridge is a Military internal issue and I can understand why they have strategic, international protocols to provide special provisions and excemptions to warships

What i dont understand from a PR pont of view is why after 2 weeks, the Fitz's track is still being witheld from public knowledge?
That just fuels unnecessary speculation.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 18:00   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I understand that what happened on the Bridge is a Military internal issue and I can understand why they have strategic, international protocols to provide special provisions and excemptions to warships

What i dont understand from a PR pont of view is why after 2 weeks, the Fitz's track is still being witheld from public knowledge?
That just fuels unnecessary speculation.
Time is on the side of the USN. I wouldn't be surprised if the track and other info are released sometime when some much bigger story puts it on the back page.
TwoBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 19:17   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlocked View Post
Time is on the side of the USN. I wouldn't be surprised if the track and other info are released sometime when some much bigger story puts it on the back page.
In the mean time the Captain and crew are being tried by the press as public in the USA, The perceptions that arise will not be dismissed by facts in the future.

Justice delayed is justice denied - the impact on the crew and families is clearly not on the radar of the US navy top brass. One could easily think that the US Navy still thinks that they are the occupying force in Japan.

Thankfully the discussion here and on gCaptain has been more balanced and informed than in the media.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:59   #524

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
In the mean time the Captain and crew are being tried by the press as public in the USA, The perceptions that arise will not be dismissed by facts in the future.

Justice delayed is justice denied - the impact on the crew and families is clearly not on the radar of the US navy top brass. One could easily think that the US Navy still thinks that they are the occupying force in Japan.

Thankfully the discussion here and on gCaptain has been more balanced and informed than in the media.
And, one could easily think that you sir are a Russian troll spreading FUD about the U.S. Navy.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 20:15   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
And, one could easily think that you sir are a Russian troll spreading FUD about the U.S. Navy.
Thank you for the illustration of my point. I will share the post with my nephew who is in Mosul with the Kurdish forces - it will amuse him heaps.

Tags
collision, Japan, navy