Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 09:54   #46

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Ride Out Force 12 at Anchor?

Thank you four winds. Hope things work out.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Yes, basically correct. While the water depth at anchor may be the primary consideration to determine scope, fetch is also important to consider.

I'm usually content at 5:1, but if exposed to considerable fetch and/or expecting winds over about 20 knots then 7:1 might be called for.

Many things to consider, depth, fetch, tidal range, currents, expected wind strength and direction (will it change while anchored there), and don't overlook what might happen to the other boats around you if a storm blows through.

Today for example, a front is approaching and winds will be strong for the next 36-48 hours. First from the south then clocking to the west. Unfortunately the local water troops just reanchored a derelict vessel just forward of my bow with the wind from the south now starting.

I chose not to move, so now I get to keep a watch on this vessel until the wind changes more to the west. Hopefully I won't regret the decision to stay in this spot.

I anchored on night in puget sound sustained winds 60 and gusts over 80 in a 22' foot Columbia winds out of the South with an incoming tide. Was at 7to1 in 6' of water at low tide. Start of the storm added a hundred feet of rode to make up for the storm surge of the on shore winds. The rest of the night I played out about six inch every hour to make sure the line didn't chafe from the strain. Was still there in the morning. Oh I forgot to add my aluminum Danforth weighing in at 5 pounds held well over it 2000 pound max load. Bad part is finely broke that anchor buried it so deep one time I bent the shaft 90 degrees getting up. broke it trying to straighten it. That little 22 would turn it stern to the wind in 45 or 50 mile winds. Not that night you could play a tune on the anchor line I figured it would break and I'd be eating rocks for breakfast. The dinghy ride to shore was no picnic. The sound can be very cold and jumping off in waste deep water was just a bit chilly. I always drop a stern anchor to slow the turn in a wind shift. I don't like to drag an that seems to do the trick.
MorningLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:12   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MorningLight.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:25   #49
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningLight View Post
I anchored on night in puget sound sustained winds 60 and gusts over 80 in a 22' foot Columbia winds out of the South with an incoming tide. Was at 7to1 in 6' of water at low tide. Start of the storm added a hundred feet of rode to make up for the storm surge of the on shore winds. The rest of the night I played out about six inch every hour to make sure the line didn't chafe from the strain. Was still there in the morning. Oh I forgot to add my aluminum Danforth weighing in at 5 pounds held well over it 2000 pound max load. Bad part is finely broke that anchor buried it so deep one time I bent the shaft 90 degrees getting up. broke it trying to straighten it. That little 22 would turn it stern to the wind in 45 or 50 mile winds. Not that night you could play a tune on the anchor line I figured it would break and I'd be eating rocks for breakfast. The dinghy ride to shore was no picnic. The sound can be very cold and jumping off in waste deep water was just a bit chilly. I always drop a stern anchor to slow the turn in a wind shift. I don't like to drag an that seems to do the trick.
Crikey!!!!

That's some opening post morninglight
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:57   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in 8-14 ft water with 2 ft chop, in a 30 kt breeze i have 140 ft on bottom. in more, i lay down to total 160 ft on bottom. i donot drag. i hold to a 30 kg(66 pound) original bruce. did i say i donot drag? my boat is 14 ton
(sacrifice to gods made for arrogance err self confidence)
as yours is a smaller boat, i would keep the 120 -150 ft down, all chain, to the new anchor.
you will want to play hookie thursday.
i would head to the marina sounding safest to you and secure it. if engine fail occurs you need option B....which is new anchor an d 150 ft 5/16 chain.
make sure before you get to boat you have a tow service option. you may have to join a sea toad err tow or vessel adrift err assist/boat us--the red one.
it sucks to be pinched before a storm/gale without that second option.
this is your first time. second is easy.
ps never trust the weather--- overprep is better than surprise
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in 8-14 ft water with 2 ft chop, in a 30 kt breeze i have 140 ft on bottom. in more, i lay down to total 160 ft on bottom. i donot drag. i hold to a 30 kg(66 pound) original bruce. did i say i donot drag? my boat is 14 ton
as yours is a smaller boat, i would keep the 120 -150 ft down, all chain, to the new anchor.
i would head to the marina sounding safest to you and secure it. if engine fail occurs you need option B....which is new anchor an d 150 ft 5/16 chain.
make sure before you get to boat you have a tow service option. you may have to join a sea toad err tow or vessel adrift err assist/boat us--the red one.
Ah but my new boat is a 1967 Van der stadt 30' trintella steel hull an I got plenty of ground tackle. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_121458.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	146830
Old 02-05-2017, 11:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
If it gets that bad again I'm going sailing. This one's rigged for just about anything and I need the practice if you can sail it in a storm might as well say home. I had her out in sixty knots but only motoring. Had get it off the dock it was broad side and moving dock and pylons 3 feet. Had to back her off only way she would move away. After that she did fine found some Lee an set the hook an went to sleep.
Old 02-05-2017, 14:17   #53

pretty boat. steelie-- awesome no one anchors downwind from ye if ye holler out i am steel and uninsured and proud of it. and laugh like you are insane.. that is fun in a gale when others drag down on ye, as well
Old 02-05-2017, 16:27   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

It is just the surge, the waves, etc. that can get you. Wind is 'no issue'.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 18:33   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is just the surge, the waves, etc. that can get you. Wind is 'no issue'.

Cheers,
b.
unfortunately this is not always truth.
it is all of it. winds in a flatwater situation, such as the marina i weathered patricia with her 215 mph steady winds and 250 mph gusts we saw damages from winds alone.
mazatlan old harbor there was damage in 8 inch chop from a norther coming down soc at us.

the situation will vary from experience to experience.
donot be fooled into thinking wind alone will not damage you when others have learned otherwise.
katabatic winds are another wind that will damage you without fetch or swells.
those are common where i sail. fun. not. i watched em come down on us in barra. no wind seen and poof a wind on the lagoon. from above, not sweeping across the lagoon. straight down. bam. oh yes. they will push ye right over. fun.
i think you in pnw donot have katabatic winds, however.
in most situations wind alone may not cause damages.
swell causes the chafe, gusts also cause chafe.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:08   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Argh yes marinas can be carnage. I was only thinking the 'at anchor' part.

In the marina not just other boats but also the equipment becomes a risk - think of a pontoon set loose ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14   #57

No experience. Never rode out a storm at anchor. The best thing you can do is get the boat insured and stay home.
Kahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 15:11   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The best thing you can do is get the boat insured and stay home.
Oh great... leave your heavily insured boat untended, ready to break loose and cause carnage to others, all the while causing insurance rates to go up for those who take care of their responsibilities.

Bad joss, IMO

Jim
Old 03-05-2017, 15:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Oh great... leave your heavily insured boat untended, ready to break loose and cause carnage to others, all the while causing insurance rates to go up for those who take care of their responsibilities.

Bad joss, IMO

Jim
But maybe better than leaving an UNinsured boat untended
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 16:26   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Bad joss, IMO

Jim

How does adding an inexperienced owner/crew with no anchoring experience into the equation resolve your concerns about insurance premiums?
Kahala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor