Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2008, 20:35   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Predeparture Check List

Does anyone have a predeparture Check List. I am in process of making one. Mainly b/c I'm tired of doing everytihing myself. I figure if I have a list than I can just pull it out and assign people tasks. Mine is very rough but I'd be glad to email it to anyone who send me a PM with their email address.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Hi Charlie,
we've got a list that we go through on the first of every month, or there abouts.
It includes the throu-hulls, hatches and other moving parts. Those things we dont normally touch but want to keep working.
Started it just over a year ago, when we found a throu-hull had froze up from non-use under the galley sink..
Even the bilge, becacuse its dry, we make up a pot of water with a little Pine-sol in it.. we know it works and keeps it smelling nice.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:03   #3

That sounds like a nice list Randy. I'm working on my predeparture list. Part of the reason is that I find myself doing 5 or 10 things everytime we go out sailing and I was supposed to do 6 or 11. For instance last time we went out I forgot to pull one of the halyards back to the mast and then when we set the jib there was a halyard in the way. Would you mind sharing your list with me. I have my predeparture list(its still in rough form) that I will give to you. If I knew how to post it to this thread I'd polish it up a little and post it here.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 02-06-2008, 13:57   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Pre-departure or preventive maintenance?

I ask the question because I was unclear from the answers what you were looking for. The issue of things needing checking periodically seems quite different from the list of what needs to be done prior to casting off in a boat that is ready for sea.

Part of my business is helping customers develop PM (preventive maintenance) checklists. It's simple enough, but takes a little time initially. Thereafter (once a month is good), the skipper can delegate someone to perform the PM check, needing only an hour to complete. Start by inspecting the engine, checking fluids, etc. Check the dock lines, especially the springs. Start the diesel, put it in gear forward, then go below to perform the initial checks. Start in the forepeak. Look at everything in that small compartment with a flashlight. Any bad smells, stains, or other disturbing features, write them down and fix them later. Do the same in each compartment, starting in the bilge and proceeding to the overhead. Open and shut valves, flip switches, open and close ports, remove drawers and look behind them, pump whatever pumps, you get the picture. Do that from one end of the boat to the other, then proceed on deck and do the same.

I said it takes an hour to perform. It takes many more to create the checklist. Some of it is research (what is it, how does it work, do we need it now?) and some of it is expenditure of elbow grease, cleaning to the point of being able to assess conditions.

The first time you perform the full checklist, you can prioritize your responses: Health and Safety issues, Maintenance and Repair issues, and nice Improvements that make life more pleasant.

The big part is localizing each item. Begin with one compartment, break it down into smaller areas by assigning a name or code to that space. It makes it easier to remember stuff when you name it. Write it down on the word processor. Put a checkmark if things fall into acceptable standards, put a priority if they need further attention: Examples: Health and Safety "A" priority (leaking propane, diesel, loose electrical wires, etc.), Safety "B" (flares out of date, missing lifejackets, no boarding ladder, etc.), Maintenance and Repair (stuff that immediately affects the capital investment) "C" (dryrot, leaks, sail damage, etc.), M&R "D" ( peeling varnish, chalking paint, etc., stuff that leads to a "C" priority if not attended to soon), and Improvements "E" (stuff you can do when you can't resist the temptation or you get a few bucks ahead).

It takes a little time to perform initially, but it makes learning all the systems, and their condition, much easier for the skipper, and for new crew to gain familiarity with stuff aboard.

It will be lengthy. I just completed one for a 43 foot catamaran and it ran 36 pages. Show it to anyone and they can go to a named compartment, identify the named component, and confirm or question your evaluation. And you will certainly know what needs to be done right now and what can wait until some available cash comes floating by.

This isn't a unique concept. The military, airlines, and the service industry have developed their own PM programs along these lines. You can even get fancy by assigning schedules for replacing fan belts, zincs, or anything that eventually wears out. You fix it BEFORE it breaks if the consequences of failure would ruin your entire day.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 14:57   #5

Hi Roy M:

What I was looking at was just a pre departure check list. Like Ok we are on the boat this what we need to take care of before we leave. I want this list so that I can assign tasks to the kids, the admiral, and any handy guests. That way I don't have to do everything myself. I also plan on writing a check list for when we arrive back at the dock. When someone says "What can I do to help? " I can just look down the list and say -- "pull the sail cover out of the port lazaret and put it on the boom. or stow the boat hook on the qtr berth." I know everything that needs to be done but between guests and kids etc. I get flustered and sometimes (more often than I'd like) something slips between the cracks. Like last time I went out I forgot to pull the spin halyard to the mast and when I set the jib the halyard was in the way. Not a big deal but something that could have been avoided with a checklist.

As far as the list that you are talking about I would like one of those too. But I need to take this step by step and get the major things done before I can refine the smaller (but important) things.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 02-06-2008, 17:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The Weather Guy has some checks that might help with your list.

WeatherGuy.com

Also on the "Rescue at Sea" page he touches on some pre-departure checks he does.

Try the US Coast Guard

Boater's Pre-Departure Checklist
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 20:48   #7

Here is a link to the predeparture check list that I have created. It is specific to my boat but can be used a s a template for anyone's boat. Pre-Departure Lists BTW if anyone has anything that they think I am missing and I just found one -- File a float plan

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Here is a link to the predeparture check list that I have created. It is specific to my boat but can be used a s a template for anyone's boat. Pre-Departure Lists BTW if anyone has anything that they think I am missing and I just found one -- File a float plan
Thanks for that.

I would rewrite it in the order of completion and/or break it up into cards to hand to trusted crew to complete.

And from what I read here there is no need to "warm up" a diesel. It is warmed up plenty just getting out.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ines-9325.html
Post #2.
It was news to me.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote