Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you deploy fenders before entering a slip?
Always - I don't want to scratch up the beautiful dock and pilings! 70 79.55%
Never - bump and grind, baby! 15 17.05%
What the heck are fenders? 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 06:27   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Poll: Which Fender Camp Are You In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I do not use fenders when docking into/out of my slip. Cross winds and currents tend to push the boat sideways and the fenders hang on the pilings, stopping the boat. my beam is only 9' 6" and the pilings are 10' 6" apart, so it can be a little challenging in the right conditions. Fortunately, my boat has a full metal rubrail/toe rail, so no damage after 13 years. I do use fenders before docking alongside or in larger slips.
I quite agree. The size of your boat versus the size of the slip makes all the difference as to whether you initially deploy fenders.
- - Considering that fenders are normally tied to lifelines or stanchions, snagging one on a piling or even some under-dock snag usually leads to one of two things - sudden stoppage of the boat or the breakage/ripping off of your lifelines or a stanchion.
- - Therefore we have fenders positioned on deck ready for dropping over the side when needed but not before.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I quite agree. The size of your boat versus the size of the slip makes all the difference as to whether you initially deploy fenders.
- - Considering that fenders are normally tied to lifelines or stanchions, snagging one on a piling or even some under-dock snag usually leads to one of two things - sudden stoppage of the boat or the breakage/ripping off of your lifelines or a stanchion.
- - Therefore we have fenders positioned on deck ready for dropping over the side when needed but not before.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I was taught.

I do have them out and ready to deploy in case a collision becomes imminent. And I guess the 3 boat's I've docked all had appropriately positioned rub rails. I've never had to use the dock as a brake, but I have rubbed up a against a few pilings and it seemed to go over pretty smoothly and didn't cause any damage

when it's a leedock, side tie (not a slip), then yeah, I'd let fenders down and allow the wind to snug you up to the dock.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:52   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much how I was taught.

I do have them out and ready to deploy in case a collision becomes imminent. And I guess the 3 boat's I've docked all had appropriately positioned rub rails. I've never had to use the dock as a brake, but I have rubbed up a against a few pilings and it seemed to go over pretty smoothly and didn't cause any damage

when it's a leedock, side tie (not a slip), then yeah, I'd let fenders down and allow the wind to snug you up to the dock.
If you have your fender ripped off during docking, then it did its job, and you should be grateful it was there to save your gelcoat. If your fender is tied in such a way that it can damage the stanchion, then maybe a new method of tying it is in order (velcro?).
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:04   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i love folks with unique and yachtie fender tie-offs-- i find their fenders floating solo in bays and they are mine... complete with the non functional bit to keep em on board..LOL....
i place my fenders after i get into slip as they are actually for protecting the boat from the dock. as i donot like marinas i dont use fenders often, only while i am in the slip.
i also start my tying off to dock midships--is difficult to move this boat manually if a wind catches it, so is easiest to secure midships then bow and stern..THEN fenders are added where needed
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i love folks with unique and yachtie fender tie-offs-- i find their fenders floating solo in bays and they are mine... complete with the non functional bit to keep em on board..LOL....
Every fender found floating is one less gelcoat repair kit sold.

LOL
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:08   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanpeda View Post
If you have your fender ripped off during docking, then it did its job, and you should be grateful it was there to save your gelcoat. If your fender is tied in such a way that it can damage the stanchion, then maybe a new method of tying it is in order (velcro?).
With that I disagree. If you pass an inch or two away from a piling - but - your pre-positioned fender snags the piling, it will be caught behind the piling not between your boat and the piling. So the side of your boat will be pulled into contact with the piling - which without a pre-positioned fender, you would have passed by without contact.
- - Fenders are not cheap these days and having one or more ripped from your boat, even if the process does not do damage to your lifelines or stanchions, does not make much dollars and sense.
- - Having fenders placed on deck ready for use by your deck hands makes more sense, IMHO.
- - But as stated previously, if your slip is significantly wider than your boat's beam then either way works, you just need to steer the boat so it will pass further from any pilings or obstacles.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:15   #22

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

One major mistake that people make when placing a fender is: They tie the blasted thing to the top of the stanchion, where the cantilever effect can rip the stanchion off the deck. Secure the fender at the base of said stanchion. And if you have one of those perferated alumimun toe rails then you really have good choices of where to place your fenders.
But if not; remember secure the fenders at the base of your stanchions and not at the top.... yah I know it is easier to use the top. But in this case, Lazyness is no excuse to do the job right.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29   #23

We don't need or use fenders at all IN OUR DOCK, as the dock is fendered with padded fire hose along both sides. When approaching OTHER docks we're fully fendered.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:41   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It depends on the docking situation. For example, many places on the ICW utilize fixed docks held up by pilings. You may very well just be lying against two or three pilings when tied up. Having vertically hanging fenders down just about guarantees that one or more will hang up on the pilings, stopping your boat and/or ripping the fender loose. Individual fenders won't really do any good on those pilings anyway, so you have to rig up fenderboards if you're staying fror awhile. Otherwise, a good solid rub rail is what is needed to approach those docks. Similarly, some lock walls have a corrugated surface that just about swallows any fender, so having them hanging down is a hazard. Floating docks are generally fender friendly so we put them down, or they are down when having to tie up to another boat or to a smooth bulkhead. On the ICW you will encounter all of these situations and more, sometimes in the same day, so it pays to have your fenders stowed in a way that allows easy deployment or retrieval, even in the midst of a docking situation.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find no need to park via braille method--i dont hit dock-- fenders arw efor prevention of noises and markings after the parking of the boat, and are not spozed to be used in a vertical position-- is minimal function in vertical position--mine are horizontal to water and placed after i make the landing andplaced in a protective location with boat hull shape in mind. in fla i placed them on the pilings, rather than on the boat.
i do not tie to other boats--i learned not to raft when the boat rafting to me cracked my teak caprail...... dont need that again.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Since I have a right-hand prop, I only put out fenders on the port side. That way, when I'm on final approach, I can give a bit of reverse and use the prop walk to snug the fenders up to the finger pier.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:29   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

If only the Govt would mandate compulsory Fender Training, might also help prevent Global warming - write to your Congressman now!

This message brought to you by Fender Vendors of America, Inc.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:48   #28

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If only the Govt would mandate compulsory Fender Training, might also help prevent Global warming - write to your Congressman now!

This message brought to you by Fender Vendors of America, Inc.
Shhhhhhh! Some bureaucrat might read this. Don't be giving them ideas.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:58   #29

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Try hanging fenders off the side of your 12' beam boat and maneuvering into a 15' slip...

My preference is to not hit anything hard enough to do damage to it or the boat, and to have someone standing by with a "roving fender" just in case. As soon as the boat is stopped, pre-rigged fenders are deployed outboard.

pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03   #30
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It depends on the docking situation. For example, many places on the ICW utilize fixed docks held up by pilings.
The first one state it clearly, IMHO. There is no one answer.

I have solid rub rails. True, rails look odd on some boats (my last boat would have looked odd I think), but boy are they handy for the single-handed cruiser.

Assuming it is a bulkhead:
If I'm pulling up to a floating dock that is not well padded, as many fenders as I have, tied vertically from the toe rail. The floating dock will not match my rub rails and I will lose gel coat. If pilings, there is NO chance fenders will be the right place. I come in slow and then add fenders as needed.

Assuming it is between pilings:
No fenders, except perhaps the quarter if I pull her in close for passengers.

Generally I retie the fenders horizontally for pilings, after securing the boat.

Tags
fender, poll