Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2016, 23:47   #1

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 25 -Gozzard Designed
My first Solo Distance Sail

Howdy Yáll,
I am the proud owner of a Bayfield 25. A great little boat, lacks on speed but makes up for it with good looks and seakeeping ability. I am planning on vacationing to Pensacola, Florida in the spring... and would not mind having my boat there! Most likely just a long weekend type deal.
Anyways, I have ample time off, my fiance'not so much. So, I'll be doing a solo sail all the way there. Its about 110 miles from my harbor to the Condo (with pier and boat slip provided), so at roughly 4 knots that is about a 27.5-28 hour sail.

2 options- ICW or coastal. Both are the same option really until you hit Mobile. Then the inland ICW picks back up.

I can easily stay awake that long but would need a big nap when I get there, and I would rather hit the ground running. My only electronics are a chart plotter, depth finder, radio, an an auto-tiller. The water pump is electric for the motor and ran off the battery. The previous owner rigged this up and it seems to work well.

I have never ran them much due to the fact that I am terrified of running out of battery power to start the engine if needed. I have a single deep cycle battery and a single starting battery, with the alternator charging both. Also, a single solar panel just in case (never really had to use it).

Do you think I can run the auto-tiller for a certain amount of time while I catch some shuteye?(30 mins max). I figure I can see 2 miles, and determine what obstructions and/or traffic are ahead. I'm mostly worried about running out of battery power, and getting off course.
Do you have any other advice for me? I appreciate the help!

Tags
sail