Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 14:04   #46

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
Re: move Lobster Pots

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
It is illegal to haul or interfere with a lobsterman's gear in Maine.

They hate cats in particular-twice the props & sail drives are bad for picking up rope.
Install a rope shedding bar from the bottom of your sail drive up to the hull bottom @ 45deg. angle.

https://legislature.maine.gov/statut...12sec6434.html

Rope line cutters are legal in Maine.https://www.spursmarine.com/shaft-cutters/

Oh my word!!
I have not been to Maine and I have not seen that many pots before. Thank you for the video clip. It was jaw dropping.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 18:55   #47

Boat: Sabre 402

Looks like Eggemoggin Reach, north end of Deer Isle. Typical.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 19:15   #48

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

OMG...after watching that video that is the last time I am going to complain about the dozen lobster traps I encounter when I leave my harbor and the other dozen I encounter near my anchorage that are located very very close to the shore such that it does not interfere with my anchoring.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 19:25   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I did one trip to Maine. The lobster pots were so thick you could walk ashore on them. I sincerely don't know a how those folks sail around there. It would be impossible to go in a straight line more than 50' practically anywhere you go. I encountered them way off shore even...at night.....they are marked with radar reflectors, but in the fog, and even with radar on, it was a nightmare.

And it's cold, diving over the side to clear a pot entanglement is wetsuit only...

Maine is beyootiful....best seen by car....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 19:27   #50

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
OMG...after watching that video that is the last time I am going to complain about the dozen lobster traps I encounter when I leave my harbor and the other dozen I encounter near my anchorage that are located very very close to the shore such that it does not interfere with my anchoring.

Abe
Not to go all Masshole by escalating on this necrothread, but when you cross Massachusetts Bay from Cape Cod, the pots are connected to a separate buoy with a flag on it by a line that is about 3-4 feet long... perfect for hooking a fin keel (or the bulb one I was on one night when I realized the only way we can do this is with a watch strapped in on the foredeck.)

Just a pot is more likely to bounce off your boat, but the thing with the flag is 100% going to hook you should you make the mistake of splitting the two.

The other thing is pots in anchorages, mooring fields, and then the ones that drift into your slip, just asking to foul themselves on your prop...

I love lobster, and heaven knows lobstermen gotta eat while we're out there just having fun, but you have to be really cautious.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:44   #51

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
You have a pot winch rigged? The tackle and traps are HEAVY. As Sb1 suggests, moving one could be a short-lived experiment. We had friends that anchored near Tenant’s Harbor in clear water and woke to find themselves totally surrounded by lobster pots. Up around Deer Isle they get almost thick enough to walk on. Most anchorages aren’t good for lobstering. Lobsters like ledge habitat, which is bad holding for anchors. Also, consider who was there first - you or the lobsterman? Who is going to be there last - you or the lobsterman? The pots come with the territory if you want to cruise in Maine.
I stayed in Tenants harbor for a month last summer, and the pots there were CRAZY. Pots all through the narrow channel into the harbor, but they did thankfully end at the mooring field. The anchorage was another story though - your friend's experience sounds just about right. Plus, that anchorage is super annoying with shallow bars at weird spots that limit your swing room.

For OP, I would suggest moorings in Maine are cheap enough and well maintained, and I would always use one when available. My experience up there was the pots aren't an issue on public moorings. Not because the lobstermen have any respect for you, but because they'd lose a lot of pots if they put them there.

On a big cat, you may have a tough time finding moorings with enough swing room for you. When you can't get a mooring, you have to choose between going somewhere else, paying for a dock (if available), or anchoring somewhere that might put you near lobster pots. This really isn't any different than anywhere else - if you anchor your boat it's on you to do so safely and without damaging anyone's stuff. It's definitely a bigger challenge in Maine, but the responsibility is still on you to operate your boat safely
Old 03-04-2021, 04:55   #52

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Not to go all Masshole by escalating on this necrothread, but when you cross Massachusetts Bay from Cape Cod, the pots are connected to a separate buoy with a flag on it by a line that is about 3-4 feet long... perfect for hooking a fin keel (or the bulb one I was on one night when I realized the only way we can do this is with a watch strapped in on the foredeck.)

Just a pot is more likely to bounce off your boat, but the thing with the flag is 100% going to hook you should you make the mistake of splitting the two.

The other thing is pots in anchorages, mooring fields, and then the ones that drift into your slip, just asking to foul themselves on your prop...

I love lobster, and heaven knows lobstermen gotta eat while we're out there just having fun, but you have to be really cautious.
My understanding is that the Easternmost pickup buoy in the string has to have the secondary buoy and flag. So you know which end is which when you're passing them. It helps when I'm towing through the area.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:10   #53

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post

Maybe some may see this as a necrothread, but I don't.

I wish to live together with fishermen. Damn, I fish myself, but I wish to keep this thread alive until we can reach a solution where crayfish catchers by pot, share equal responsibility.
When I go hunting, I cannot shoot at random. I have an obligation to ensure my target area is safe, and hell is to play if someone is killed or injured, or just within harms way, because of my actions or neglect.

We must push to obtain an equilibrium somewhere, somehow.
Instead of me enjoying a day out at sea, also just trying to fish and make it through safely, amidts these pot-fields , it turns a smooth experience in a nerve wrecking one, and a nightmare one if you foul any.

And for those so hard lobbying for the "poor fishermen". What about those fishermen whi have neglected or abandoned their pots? There are many that is visually unattended for years.
Removing pots by a date, is not the process around the Caribbean and these dangers lurks there UNTIL SOMEONE
struck one. That is not fair, not reasonable and not acceptable.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:21   #54

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
OMG...the last time I am going to complain about the dozen lobster traps I encounter when I leave my harbor and the other dozen I encounter near my anchorage...
When we sailed from the Caribbean to the USA, almost everyone told us: "if you're heading for the USA you MUST visit Maine." They also added the proviso to "Be careful, there are lots of lobster pots."

It was only once we got there that we realised it was an accent thing, what they were actually telling us was that we MUST visit Maine and there are lots of lobster pots.
Old 03-04-2021, 14:10   #55

Setting their traps inside the marina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200710_133453-01.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	235791  
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 14:01   #56

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Lobster seasons in Canadian waters:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster Season Chart.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	269714
Old 08-01-2023, 16:07   #57

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We were on a mooring in Bah Habah. They dropped pots throughout the moorings and even against our hull. I was told they had legal RIGHTS to place traps anywhere. They in fact did.
Well if someone put a pot where it or the buoy were then up against my hull I will take my chances with the law. That just isn’t right under any circumstances. Plenty of water out there. No need to be a jerk and do that.
Old 08-01-2023, 16:32   #58

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Maybe it's different in Maine, but if a lobsterman fired a shot at a boat in Florida, he would run a very real chance of having his boat -- and his own body -- shot full of holes from an AR-15.

In much of the country, there's a law called stand your ground. Fire a shot at someone, and the target has the right to kill you while defending himself. No need to back off and try reason.

I don't like guns myself, but I know lots of people who carry them for reasons I can't fathom. (Why do you need to pack when you live in a gated community on a wealthy island?)

And I know that lots of sailors carry rifles on their boats, also for reasons I can't fathom.

More than a few of them are overweight, middle-aged guys who haven't been in a fight since they were 9 and would love the chance to show how macho they are.

I don't pick fights with other boaters for the same reason I don't pick fights with bad drivers. You never know who is carrying what and what kind of mood they are in.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 19:37   #59

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Setting their traps inside the marina.
Lovely, bottom paint and feces lobster. Must be tasty.
Old 08-01-2023, 23:23   #60

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Lovely, bottom paint and feces lobster. Must be tasty.
A taste to die for.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote