Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 18:56   #1

move Lobster Pots

It it OK to move Lobster Pots that come in contact with my anchored boat? Concern is prop wrapping. Anchor, then boat swings, and pot starts bumping boat. Some harbors in Maine its ridiculous how many pots are, and right in the anchoring and mooring fields. Any advice appreciated.

I'm a 48 ft catamaran sailboat. Lived 3 years on my boat. 25 years experience. Anchoring in 50' of water requires 4:1 scope. Quite a radius (Pi x r sq).

If you have never ever been to Maine, perhaps this will help: Look out at the harbour, in designated anchoring spots, and it looks like someone sprinkled skittles everywhere.

Please only reply if you have been to Maine.
dhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 19:20   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: move Lobster Pots

IF you want to risk getting shot I guess you could try to move them.
Old 28-08-2019, 19:46   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

You have a pot winch rigged? The tackle and traps are HEAVY. As Sb1 suggests, moving one could be a short-lived experiment. We had friends that anchored near Tenant’s Harbor in clear water and woke to find themselves totally surrounded by lobster pots. Up around Deer Isle they get almost thick enough to walk on. Most anchorages aren’t good for lobstering. Lobsters like ledge habitat, which is bad holding for anchors. Also, consider who was there first - you or the lobsterman? Who is going to be there last - you or the lobsterman? The pots come with the territory if you want to cruise in Maine.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 20:29   #4

I'm sorry I thought I was in the USA, so murder is legal in Maine? The pots are raised by mere humans every day, and I just moved one. I will again if need.

Dropping a pot in a mooring field does not instantly give you land ownership rights. Calm down.
dhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 20:59   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauck View Post
I'm sorry I thought I was in the USA, so murder is legal in Maine? The pots are raised by mere humans every day, and I just moved one. I will again if need.

Dropping a pot in a mooring field does not instantly give you land ownership rights. Calm down.
We were there. It’s bad. Old laws grant the Right to lobsterman to place traps anywhere. These are even between the red and green cans. I suspect the problem would be lessened if they were not permitted to claim business loss on lost traps. We only move in daylight. Avoiding them means heading way out to very deep water.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 00:20   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The key is who was there first.

If you pull in and there are lobster pots where you want to anchor, you need to keep clear of them.

If a lobster fisherman is dumb enough to put a float inside your swing radius after you anchor, it's not your problem if it gets trashed by your boat or needs to be cut free due to a tangle.

There isn't much else to the issue.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 06:41   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Well sounds like you answered yourself. You will be a busy pot mover.
Old 29-08-2019, 06:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The key is who was there first.

If you pull in and there are lobster pots where you want to anchor, you need to keep clear of them.

If a lobster fisherman is dumb enough to put a float inside your swing radius after you anchor, it's not your problem if it gets trashed by your boat or needs to be cut free due to a tangle.

There isn't much else to the issue.
That's our rule. We woke up one morning at anchor in Boca Ciega Bay (which is pretty big for those who don't know) and found some crab fisherman had surrounded our boat with crab pots and floats early while we slept. I had zero problem taking my dinghy and dragging his pots away from our boat's stern where several of them were obviously going to get hung up in our rudder or prop when we swung the slightest bit.

But, if they are there first, I figure, first come, first served.
Old 29-08-2019, 10:59   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
It it OK to move Lobster Pots that come in contact with my anchored boat? Concern is prop wrapping. Anchor, then boat swings, and pot starts bumping boat. Some harbors in Maine its ridiculous how many pots are, and right in the anchoring and mooring fields. Any advice appreciated.

I'm a 48 ft catamaran sailboat. Lived 3 years on my boat. 25 years experience. Anchoring in 50' of water requires 4:1 scope. Quite a radius (Pi x r sq).

If you have never ever been to Maine, perhaps this will help: Look out at the harbour, in designated anchoring spots, and it looks like someone sprinkled skittles everywhere.

Please only reply if you have been to Maine.

In Maine now on a cat. In general we haven’t had too many problems in anchorages because the soft bottom isn’t as popular with lobsters. Occasionally we would have a buoy knocking against the hull at night, but didn’t get fouled with any of them. I have heard that lobster fisherman take a very dim view of folks pulling up their traps.

I certainly can relate to the skittles comment.[emoji24]
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 11:13   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

It is illegal to haul or interfere with a lobsterman's gear in Maine.

They hate cats in particular-twice the props & sail drives are bad for picking up rope.
Install a rope shedding bar from the bottom of your sail drive up to the hull bottom @ 45deg. angle.

https://legislature.maine.gov/statut...12sec6434.html

Rope line cutters are legal in Maine.https://www.spursmarine.com/shaft-cutters/

Old 29-08-2019, 11:19   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Love your video!
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 11:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
Love your video!

I borrowed it from another member. It is the best I've seen for explaining lobster pots in Maine. Those who have encountered a few pots in other parts of the world have no concept of the Maine situation.
That said,most boats can power thru dense fields of buoys with no problem.
All single buoys(used inshore) have a length of sinking rope so that the rope leads down from the buoy.
Offshore,two buoys are used-the main buoy and a smaller trailer buoy that drifts 15ft or so behind the butt of the main. Never pass between these-the 15ft rope os floating.
Rule of thumb-pass by the pointy end of all buoys if possible.
Never use reverse in Maine-if there are any buoys or rope around you.
Shift into neutral & coast thru suspiciously thick patches of seaweed,rope,and /or buoys.
Install a shaft line cutter.
Install a sheer bar on the front of your saildrive,or any other protrusion that may catch floating rope.
Install a rope sheer bar if you have a rudder like mine. Enjoy Maine. Come visit E.Canada-no pots in summer-season closed. / LenClick image for larger version

Name:	Rope shedder.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	198822
Old 29-08-2019, 11:43   #13

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

What's the lobstermen's secret to avoid fouling?
Old 29-08-2019, 11:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What's the lobstermen's secret to avoid fouling?

Lobster boats all have cages around their props-(& most have cutters)
They would like for all who pass thru "their" waters to have cages./ Len

Click image for larger version

Name:	prop cage.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	198823

Click image for larger version

Name:	prop guard.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	198824
Old 30-08-2019, 05:08   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I'm sorry I thought I was in the USA, so murder is legal in Maine?
I can assure you, people from "away" spouting their rights and demeaning the locals will not find it a friendly place.

Quote:
The pots are raised by mere humans every day, and I just moved one. I will again if need.
And you will suffer the consequences. Yes, people have been shot at. Some have been hit. Lobstering is hard work, and it's getting harder to make a living at it all the time. If someone showed up at your office and started tossing computers and printers out the window, how do you think they'd be received? Then imagine that same dynamic, out in the woods where there's no law enforcement, and no-one to see what really happened.

Quote:
Dropping a pot in a mooring field does not instantly give you land ownership rights.
Nor does dropping an anchor. However, the lobstermen have a license, and the law on their side (see above.) What, exactly, makes you think YOU have a land ownership right?

Quote:
Calm down.
I'm totally calm, whether I read about you here, or in the newspaper. Makes no difference to me.

Quote:
Haters, and trolls stay away. Just real people with real experience please reply.
Re-read your OP, and subsequent posts. Then read the patient responses. Then decides who's the hater or troll, and who has real experience.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote