Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2023, 10:20   #1

Missing boat out of Mazatlan

Did not see any post on this.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/15/us/me...ors/index.html
Endless time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 02:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Missing boat out of Mazatlan

Kerry O’Brien, Frank O’Brien and William Gross, aboard “Ocean Bound”, a 44-foot La Fitte sailboat, departed Mazatlán on April 4 en route to San Diego, via Cabo San Lucas.
Coast Guard officials urge anyone with information on the sailors or the sailing vessel to call the Coast Guard search and rescue coordination center at 510-437-3701.

See also ➥ https://www.facebook.com/melissa.gro...C4MgMva8U6daFl

BTW: Excellent CNN report!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 03:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It has only been twelve days--it took me thirteen to do SF to Cabo nonstop, and if I'd stopped, well--it would've taken longer.

Chances are they put in somewhere to hang out/repair/relax--lots of places to stop on that coast. Seems a little early for concern...
Old 16-04-2023, 05:18   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
It has only been twelve days--it took me thirteen to do SF to Cabo nonstop, and if I'd stopped, well--it would've taken longer.

Chances are they put in somewhere to hang out/repair/relax--lots of places to stop on that coast. Seems a little early for concern...
It is less than a 2 day run from Mazatlan to Cabo. IF they did not stop there but continued up the coast then they should have r3eached San Diego.

Assuming the weather is against them, they might have ducked into Turtle Bay (although they do have to check in there - so either they didn't duck in or they didn't check in) or Madelaine Bay.

There are other small bays they could hide out in - but with no cell phone pings (and there should be some) it is a bit strange

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 09:02   #5

Mazatlan to Cabo is a short trip. Overnighter. There could have been a strong Norther blowing which would be hard to progress against. Not much to stop at, they could have gotten blown south to Isla Isabella I suppose or refuge at PV. But it's been way too long. Whales are a possible worry, we sailed with them right abeam for hours once on that trip. They were like 6 - 10 feet from our rail.

But yeah, I suppose if they were going back to the US, they could have just kept going. Can be a rough trip going up the coast and maybe they are hunkered down somewhere. Hope so.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 09:15   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
It is less than a 2 day run from Mazatlan to Cabo. IF they did not stop there but continued up the coast then they should have r3eached San Diego.

Assuming the weather is against them, they might have ducked into Turtle Bay (although they do have to check in there - so either they didn't duck in or they didn't check in) or Madelaine Bay.

There are other small bays they could hide out in - but with no cell phone pings (and there should be some) it is a bit strange
The question is if they stopped at Cabo. It took me a month from La Cruz to San Diego, stopping several times, (and skipped turtle bay) No where was there cell phone access along baja, so I just left it turned off.

The other factor we don't know, and should have been in the report. What comms are on board and how closely have they communicated with shore prior? If they have an Iridium Go, and had been sending daily emails, that might be more significant that a simple "overdue."
Old 16-04-2023, 10:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If they had no Iridium, or it malfunctioned, and skipped Cabo because they felt good/had decent weather/felt like pressing on, they might be hunkered in any of the spots along the coast a small boat can put in--there's somewhat more than just Turtle Bay--and with no cell signal be unable to check in.
I don't want to derail this thread, but a mania for scheduled check-ins leads to a lot of false alarms and needless mobilization. I arrived in Panama once, after stopping to wait out weather in San Andres for five days, to find that some well-meaning chump had mobilized a ham-net alert when we didn't arrive when he thought we should have.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be cautious concern here, just that it seems early to push the panic button. This is exactly why I never give people an expectation that I'll arrive anywhere anytime. Sometimes I just leave without saying anything.
Old 16-04-2023, 10:46   #8

Some more details. From a family statement on Facebook.

All are experienced sailors - 20-50 years of experience and 2 hold Coast Guard Captains licenses. Phone records indicate they attempted to contact the Cabo marina via cell (unsuccessfully) after leaving Mazatlan.

See here for the entire post:

https://www.facebook.com/melissa.gro...C4MgMva8U6daFl
Endless time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 13:11   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
they might have ducked into Turtle Bay (although they do have to check in there - so either they didn't duck in or they didn't check in) or Madelaine Bay.
Since when do you have to check into Turtle bay?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 14:06   #10

This is a post from the family on Facebook Puerto Vallarta page. With permission of family I am putting it here. Praying for their safe return.

The families of Kerry and Frank O’Brien and William (Bill) Gross in addition to the sailing community are pleading to the people of Southern California and in the region of Baja. And as far reaching as we can go into South America.
Kerry, Frank and Bill are missing aboard the O’Briens vessel Ocean Bound.

Kerry, Frank and Bill are all experienced sailors, Bill has over 50 years of sailing experience and is an extremely talented coastal cruiser. Kerry and Frank have 20 years sailing together and both hold Captains licenses with the US Coast Guard. Ocean Bound is a sturdy older vessel and by many accounts is one of the best sailboats ever constructed. It can be argued that by todays standards it is lacking technology. There is also an argument for these sailors who’ve been reading star charts and coastal navigation for most of their lives. Technology can fail simply due to one wire or a power outage. Their collective knowledge and experience will not fail.

SV Ocean Bound departed Mazatlan Mexico on Tuesday 4/4/2023 at approximately 9:30am with a Westward heading across the Sea of Cortez, a short stop had been planned in Cabo San Lucas and then to sail up the coast of Baja to San Diego, California. When the 3 did not check in by the weekend the report was made to the US Coast Guard.
Cell phone pings on 4/4/2023 show off the coast of Mazatlan as calls to marinas in Cabo San Lucas. All calls were short and it’s presumed they were trying to make slip/ball reservations. Based on the short calls they were unsuccessful. This is the last known contact of Kerry, Frank and Bill. The vessel, Kerry, Frank and Bill are currently missing/overdue. There has been no radio contact to or from Ocean Bound and her crew.

The Mexican Navy (CMAR/SEMAR) is working with the United States Coast Guard (USCG) in search and rescue operations. In roughly 48 hours the USCG will turn physical efforts (ships/aircraft) over to CMAR/SEMAR and will be an investigation entity and send ships or planes as requested by CMAR/SEMAR.
The sailing community has hundreds of additional vessels looking for our family members. Sadly they have not seen or made contact with them either.

The USCG has a current “travel projection” if Ocean Bound simply lost radio contact and continued her journey to San Diego at just North or South of Turtle Bay (Bahia Tortuga) on the Baja Peninsula and is focused on searching there, in addition to long aircraft sweeps along the Baja Peninsula.
The “drift projection”, if Ocean Bound became disabled, is focused by CMAR/SEMAR in a 100 mile area South to Southeast of Cabo San Lucas. This is around the waters near Puerto Vallarta.
These parameters are reassessed each night to redefine the search the next day.

We cannot express enough gratitude to the USCG, CMAR/SEMAR and the sailing community for their help the past 4 days and their continued S&R efforts going forward. They have communicated all of their efforts with kindness and compassion more than once a day. We truly appreciate everything you’ve done and continue to do. Thank you, you bring us hope and comfort in this painful time.

The social media posting efforts of our families is to reach as many people as possible across the globe. If anyone has seen, heard of Ocean Bound and her crew. Knows someone in the areas around the search perimeters. Please help us bring Kerry, Frank and Bill home.
Old 16-04-2023, 14:37   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What concerns me is the portion of the report where they stated the vessel left northbound, into a prediction of 30 kn winds and 20-25 ft. seas. It makes me wonder why not wait a bit for the wind and sea to settle a little? Visa expiry issue?

Fortunately the Mexican government is using drift predictions. If these people are to be found, if the seas stirred up fuel tank crud, and she drifted, it would be to the south.

I hope they are found tucked up somewhere south of Mazatlan, safe and sound... or really anywhere, as long as they're safe.

Ann
Old 16-04-2023, 14:40   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The longest delivery from Cabo to San Diego that I know of was 31 days in a Westsail 32 with a broken engine. They are still a long way from that. They may have taken the Clipper route without offshore comms.

The weather on the Baja Coast is currently 15k on the nose for the foreseeable future.

No, you don't check in in Turtle Bay.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 14:56   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Since when do you have to check into Turtle bay?
Tou don’t have to check in at turtle although the navy has a small base there and they frequently will check you papers
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 15:02   #14

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Sailors Lost at Sea--Mexico to San Diego

Anyone see the follow up to this news post?

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...diego/3208864/

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 15:09   #15

Re: Sailors Lost at Sea--Mexico to San Diego

I’ve read about this but have read nothing on the follow up. I hope they bypassed Cabo and stopped at Turtle Bay for fuel. Keeping positive thoughts…
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lost, Mexico, sail, san diego