Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 07:31   #16

Re: Man dies dragged by sailboat,

There was a hearbreaking case a few years ago for two brothers competing in the ARC.

As I remember, one brother fell overboard and was pinned against the hull by his tether. His brother was able to talk with him as he was slowly drowning. The brother still aboard couldn't pull him up and finally cut the harness tether. By the the time he got the boat turned around and back to his brother, he was dead.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:41   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

When you try the tether jump in the water test, try doing it with weather gear">foul weather gear (or any clothing on) and let me know.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:00   #18

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

For him there are worse ways to go. Sounds like he missed his own death, which I have done twice from head injuries(once no heartbeat, no breathing)For her to witness it, not so good.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Rohan, its just about impossible to pull yourself against the drag. Try jumping overboard from a dinghy and holding onto a line in calm weather when motoring at a coupleof knots and you'll see how difficult it is. Similarly, try out your life jacket under controlled conditions and see how difficult it is to just breath - the waves are funnelled directly into your face by the two sides coming together. We recently changed all our life jackets for this very reason. Also try getting back aboard when there is any sort of sea running and the stern is rising and falling.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:20   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Radio net this morning stated that he'd been working in the rigging, fell, and hit his head on the way down, knocking him unconscious. Very sad
indeed .. RIP .. tough to stop the boat and setup block and tackle when he was already unconscious.
Old 14-05-2015, 08:30   #21

Boat: Boatless

Bad day for all. A man dies and another boat is left adrift for the rest of us to crash into at night.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:57   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Like said many times before, the tether is to keep you ON the boat, not just attached to it. Unfortunately, people die of embarrassment...because they used their equipment incorrectly.

The article raises more questions than it answers. But the fact remains that a man is dead, and wife grieving. My condolences.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:57   #23

Boat: Hunter 33.6

Rest in peace mate.
Captain Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:26   #24

Boat: (none)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Bad day for all. A man dies and another boat is left adrift for the rest of us to crash into at night.
In all the forums I've seen this, this is by far the most harsh statement I've read so far. Shame on you! How would you like to be her, having to watch her husband die, unable to save him? You crashing into her boat is the LAST thing on her mind.
Instead of making snarky comments, speculating and criticizing, how about some of you in the area put together a search party rescue her boat.
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:37   #25

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The only time I went over the rail my crew didn't know it and they were in the cockpit!! Fortunately I had a good jacket and low free-board so rolled back in on a wave. It is really hard to see someone in the water alongside and impossible for them to shout loud enough to be heard will being dragged.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:47   #26

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall.dude View Post
In all the forums I've seen this, this is by far the most harsh statement I've read so far. Shame on you! How would you like to be her, having to watch her husband die, unable to save him? You crashing into her boat is the LAST thing on her mind.
Instead of making snarky comments, speculating and criticizing, how about some of you in the area put together a search party rescue her boat.
It may be the last thing on her mind, but it should have been pretty high priority for the rescuers. It sounds like they may not have even boarded to undertake the scuttling though.

There is no point in expressing sympathy for someone who isn't here to be comforted by it, unless you make yourself feel better by expressing such sympathy. I too, would have berated someone for making such a comment to the grieving widow, but it is a reality that we need to take into consideration in the real world.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:52   #27

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

So sad! Good reminder for us all!
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 09:58   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I am really confused why the man couldn't pull himself back in the boat. Isn't that what tethers are for? If you are sailing solo, you won't have another person to help you. But it's unclear if he had physical ailments, was injured, or intoxicated when this happened.

It's also possible the man had a heart attack, fell in, and he was too heavy for his wife to pull him back aboard.
Try pulling yourself out with the boat underway. At 18 I might could but most aren't young and strong anymore. There was just a long thread on the topic of tethers. Condolences to the family.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 10:08   #29

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I fell into the water tied up at a dock, couldn't get back on the boat.
All should try it one day.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 10:11   #30

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

Good discussion. Although sad each time.

It reminds me that I need to do some work on my jackline procedure as well. I'm fairly sure a crew member could actually fall overboard with the tether on.

I do use the rule never go forward unless there is other crew in the cockpit.

Thanks

Tags
sail, sailboat