Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 10:40   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Man dies dragged by sailboat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
I fell into the water tied up at a dock, couldn't get back on the boat.
All should try it one day.
Bill
Bill,
To many martinis? Being a wise ass, I've done it at the dock. You kind of hope no one was looking. Floating finger piers are nice even they can be high.

That toe rail or wash board gets mighty high and I'll bet higher in foil weather gear and a vest. Trying it is a good idea and maybe on a tether at only 2 or 3 knots.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 12:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Bad day for all. A man dies and another boat is left adrift for the rest of us to crash into at night.
Thats a truly awful thing to think, let alone to say. I guess nobody can rely on you when the chips are down, can they.
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 13:45   #33
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

If the scuttlebutt is correct and this was a fall from the mast at height I think it underscores just how dangerous it is to attempt rigging repairs at sea. One would assume the boat was hove to or at worst, slowly fore reaching. Bosuns chairs are not designed for safety and to use one underway is dangerous to say the least. We may never know the true cause of this tragedy. It is however a good time to review "lessons learned". A climbing harness with a safety line and a short tether to the mast to prevent pendulum swinging might have prevented this. It might not have as we don't even know what the problem was or the weather conditions. I would also like to say that in no way was this the surviving crew member's "fault". To jump to the conclusion that she did not know what to do, didn't try, was too weak etc. is to make an assumption at best (and we know what happens when we make assumptions don't we) and sexist at worst. Show some compassion, take away what lessons you can and leave the condemnation at home please.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 13:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Thats a truly awful thing to think, let alone to say. I guess nobody can rely on you when the chips are down, can they.
If that wasn't self centered. Bet he or she has never been out of the yacht club. I feel sorry the boat wasn't towed for the families additional lose.
Old 14-05-2015, 13:52   #35

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I was taught

"one hand for the boat and one for yourself"

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 14:52   #36

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
I would also like to say that in no way was this the surviving crew member's "fault". To jump to the conclusion that she did not know what to do, didn't try, was too weak etc. is to make an assumption at best (and we know what happens when we make assumptions don't we) and sexist at worst. Show some compassion, take away what lessons you can and leave the condemnation at home please.
My original thoughts were based on the very short original article which had no mention of what happened, so I could only assume, and just as rightfully so also acknowledged that I didn't know the full story. However, man or woman at the helm, IF it had been someone who wasn't comfortable or able to bring the boat to a halt, wouldn't have mattered, really.

My belief is that anyone on the boat who is competent enough, should at least be given a basic crash course on what to do in an emergency. Obviously if that emergency actually happens, people freeze, things get flustered, that certainly happens when people aren't ready for it.

As more details came out (being rendered unconscious, etc), it became a little easier to get a picture of how this tragedy unfolded, and that the wife was put in a terrible position. Had he been conscious he might have been able to talk her through steps if she needed, or at least help hold on while figuring a course of action. And that would be the same no matter if wife, son, neighbor, guest. As far as any comments about too weak, well... I challenge anyone to try to hoist a full grown man, unconscious, unassisted, especially if you haven't practiced or have the full working knowledge of options such as using your boom/sheets, etc. I certainly wouldn't blame it on the sex of the individual. I know that anyone I sail with, is never going to get me on board by themselves, just not feasible.

Allll of which leads to that the only thing any of us can do is prepare as best we can, and prepare those around us, so that even if we take every safety precaution and something STILL goes wrong, we can try to do our best to not end up in this situation, leaving loved ones behind.
Old 14-05-2015, 16:24   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
My original thoughts were based on the very short original article which had no mention of what happened, so I could only assume, and just as rightfully so also acknowledged that I didn't know the full story. However, man or woman at the helm, IF it had been someone who wasn't comfortable or able to bring the boat to a halt, wouldn't have mattered, really.

My belief is that anyone on the boat who is competent enough, should at least be given a basic crash course on what to do in an emergency. Obviously if that emergency actually happens, people freeze, things get flustered, that certainly happens when people aren't ready for it.

As more details came out (being rendered unconscious, etc), it became a little easier to get a picture of how this tragedy unfolded, and that the wife was put in a terrible position. Had he been conscious he might have been able to talk her through steps if she needed, or at least help hold on while figuring a course of action. And that would be the same no matter if wife, son, neighbor, guest. As far as any comments about too weak, well... I challenge anyone to try to hoist a full grown man, unconscious, unassisted, especially if you haven't practiced or have the full working knowledge of options such as using your boom/sheets, etc. I certainly wouldn't blame it on the sex of the individual. I know that anyone I sail with, is never going to get me on board by themselves, just not feasible.

Allll of which leads to that the only thing any of us can do is prepare as best we can, and prepare those around us, so that even if we take every safety precaution and something STILL goes wrong, we can try to do our best to not end up in this situation, leaving loved ones behind.
It's a matter of not freaking out.
Old 14-05-2015, 16:29   #38

Boat: ODAY 28

good point about trying to pull yourself back to the boat with foul weather gear or even causal dress with boat shoes, when I was much younger was able to do in in a swim suit, but the boat was only sailing slowly on a lake.
if I had shoes on would not be able to do it....
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 16:31   #39

RIP to all sailors lost at sea.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 16:52   #40

Boat: Mirage 35

Sorry for the cross posting - but I just put a question in the Safety forum regarding harnesses; I see that the updated discussion here has pretty well answered my question.

As I now understand it: old thinking = harness attaches you to boat if you go overboard; new thinking = harness keeps you on boat.
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 17:19   #41

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I dont think anyone doesnt feel bad for the family, friends of anyone lost doing what we all love to do. I have no doubt if the lessons from this can save 1, at least something positive will have come from it. Unfortunately it takes tragic events to teach and remind us how to be safe.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 17:36   #42

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I know I've had a number of small group conversations here in Marathon today about MOB plans, tethering, and the ability of other people on board (chiefly female spouses) to handle the boat alone and retrieve overboards in an emergency. This tragic event has certainly had an impact here as the boat and crew were moored here for some time. I hope everyone reading this thread is having similar serious discussions on their boats, and will also implement and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 20:18   #43

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I am really confused why the man couldn't pull himself back in the boat. Isn't that what tethers are for? If you are sailing solo, you won't have another person to help you. But it's unclear if he had physical ailments, was injured, or intoxicated when this happened.

It's also possible the man had a heart attack, fell in, and he was too heavy for his wife to pull him back aboard.
There is no way I could get back aboard my Flicka if I fell overboard and was being dragged. The only choice I would have would be to pull the quick release on the tether and take my chances adrift if the hull was beating me into oblivion. Yes my jack line and tether wont allow me to go overboard. I had a knock down crossing the Florida Big Bend and was sent sailing out the starboard side only to be stopped short of going overboard by my tether.
My 2c worth.
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 21:51   #44

Terribly sad - condolences to the family.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 23:15   #45

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Very sad indeed. Imagine how that man's family must feel, we should pray for them.
Accidents do happen, we must all learn from each other to avoid many situations and falling from climbing the mast aloft is a real danger to try to minimize any way possible.
As Zeehag said on post #7 here; when on deck, attach your tethers close to the centerline of the boat and short enough so it keeps you onboard, not dangling over the side with water rushing into the face.
Important: Another danger we don't consider is diving to retrieve a stuck anchor, even if in shallow water.
We lift on the shank while our feet sink into the mud or muck which forms a suction around our ankles and can hold you there stuck and unable to break out and rise to the surface to take the next breath. No one can see us down there or can get us out in time.
Seriously, no one thinks of that stuck anchor situation. Lets enjoy cruising but....be careful out there.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat