Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 00:54   #1

Lalizas Professional Drogue

Hi All
I live in South Africa, and the only drogue I can purchase locally is the Lalizas Professional Drogue.
The smallest model, recommended for boats up to 15 meters, would suit me as I have a 46 foot Beneteau.
Cost is about 70 USD, which is much less than drogues such as the Galerider.
I have searched the web and cannot find any reviews or stories of personal experience.
Has anyone used this drogue?
gibsonih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 01:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Lalizas Professional Drogue

Hello,

I have no experience with that item.

You say it is the only kind you can buy in your area.

Have you considered making a drogue yourself?

You can find plans online on how to make a Jordan Series drogue using simple tools and materials.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 07:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When I was researching drogues, I came across some information in a USCG test report that I found surprising and very interesting.

One of the most interesting "reads" I came across regarding what one should do in a sailboat in very rough weather (bad storms, high seas) is found by reading about the development of the Jordan Series Drogue. There is too much information to post a synopsis here, but I do encourage sailors to read the background research reports (found via the following linked page) as the report of the USCG testing was very interesting (to me) to read. On the linked page you will also find some discussion by Mr. Jordan of what sailors perceive as the right thing to do in high seas and how their perceptions may be illusions or that they may make poor decisions based on misunderstandings.

Mr. Jordan also allowed the plans for the drogue to be available for free so sailors could make their own.
Jordan Series Drogue - Storm Waves

The USCG test of drogues (and the Jordan Series Drogue) took place using real boats in real breaking waves. I encourage everyone to read the USCG report, especially pages 55-61 of the report for their conclusions. I found the results of the testing most interesting.

Here is a link to that USCG report:

http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/pd...uardreport.pdf
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 07:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonih View Post
Has anyone used this drogue?
Not sure if this was the "Professional" model and what was the exact sizing, but Lalizas it was for sure, and advertised for about our boat (38' cat)...

Heading into the Indian Ocean we decided to test deployng this somewhat fragile-looking drogue. In fine weather, very moderate speed, it survived less than maybe one minute, then the attachement straps were torn from the body of the drogue, and we had seen it no more.

The attachement did look and feel fragile indeed, but the thing was not expensive, and there was no choice in the shop...
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 14:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Ullman Sails or B-Canvas in Cape Town will make a drogue for you boat.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 15:45   #6
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

[QUOTE=Steady Hand;1688623]When I was researching drogues, I came across some information in a USCG test report that I found surprising and very interesting.

Thanks, that is a very interesting report. Pops a couple bubbles of mine: a drogue off the stern is recommended over a sea anchor off the bow...and in fact, sea anchors on fin keelers are discouraged. Who'd a thought?

Sometimes I really do love the way my gubbermint spends our money...
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drogue