Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 09:55   #16

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: How much is too much

I always carry a spare anchor and rode (250-300 feet of rope), but have never found a use for a stern anchor on the Inside Passage. When my main was a Bruce, the spare was a Fortress - good for some bottoms where the Bruce was not. With the Rocna, in my Inside Passage experience, there's no bottom for which the Rocna is not as good as it gets. The spare is backup - onboard in case I lose the main anchor. Otherwise it's just baggage. Not sure you'd want as heavy a spare setup as you describe for your "stern" anchor - 50' of 1/4 chain would work.

I definitely recommend the watermaker, unless you have a really big water tank. More fuel too - maybe as you suggest. You'd want a minimum of 200 nm fuel range, but twice or three times that would give you a lot more route flexibility.

Like your choice of 200' of 1/4" chain. No need to go nuts on the size of the Rocna - even my 10kg one has amazing holding power. 45 knots did not faze it.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 14:36   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Thank you for the reply, honestly I don't know what I'm doing, I have great ideas, but frankly count on the logic of this crowd. I'm very concerned about the weight.
I had a friend with a bayfield 29. He didn't have much experience, so he bought (and stowed) every safety item, gadget and spare he could think of...just in case. By the time he cast off, his boat was so overloaded (chain, anchors, spare outboard, extra fuel, extra water, extra batteries, power tools, etc, etc) that he could not make good speed. Ended up running at WOT all the time trying (and failing) to keep up with the other boats in his group heading south. Pretty quick his yanmar blew a cylinder or something and he was stuck.

My preference is to go light. I bring what I use, what I think I will need, and a credit card for anything else. A light boat goes faster, and there is less clutter below when the waves get high. A small boat means less stuff. If you can't live without the stuff, then maybe you need a bigger boat, or need to modify your wants vs needs. The best way to figure out what works, what you need, and what you don't...is go sailing on your boat. Its fun and you'll learn a lot. Sailing is a voyage, not a destination. ENJOY!!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 16:18   #18

Boat: Scout 30

If a 22lb Rocna will hold a Nordic Tug 37 in 45 knots of wind a 33lb Rocna should have you sleeping like a baby.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 16:30   #19

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Guess I didn't make that very clear - I meant that the 10kg Rocna held my 11,000 lb 26-footer in 45 knots.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 16:49   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Beyond 300 (or even 200) feet of chain rode, I'd think of adding rope.
Old 21-12-2016, 16:49   #21

It's often a compromise. 200 ft chain and 150 feet of nylon rode spliced to it.. This is what I've done on boats to 47 feet. or, can you go to smaller chain? is your chain size on the marginal high side for your boat? G7 chain in a smaller size? What weight is in the bow now? Water tank under the berth? Can you change it? Small tank and water maker? Many ways to skin the cat. Boats are often overloaded, do the best you can. My 47 footer was down 5" on the water line! Sailed fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 17:03   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I agree with the above poster - 200' of chain is plenty. By the way 1/4" G40 weighs 3/4 lb a foot so the total is 150 lbs. Add rope to this for another 100+ feet. Rocna 15 (33 lbs) is well suited to your boat. I have the same on my 27 but decidedly overkill.

Stern anchor the Danforth with maybe 50' of 5/16" chain and then nylon. Your suggestion of 5/8" chain on the stern anchor makes no sense. (We sell thousands of feet of anchor chain a month and do not even stock chain over 1/2" except for long link mooring chain.)

Didn't see this mentioned.
You will need a stern line for tying to shore in tight areas where you do not wish to swing. The best way is to take the line ashore and around a tree or rock and bring the end back to the boat so you can leave without going ashore to release it. 300' or so of 3/8" floatline on a reel attached to the stern rail works well.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 17:13   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Guess I didn't make that very clear - I meant that the 10kg Rocna held my 11,000 lb 26-footer in 45 knots.
Oops! I still stand by my recommendation of the 15kg (33lb) Rocna. Should be plenty for this boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 19:32   #24

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Again thank,you. I'll address stern first, I wrote 5/8s, meant 5/16, heck even 1/4 inch 50" ft and nylon. I keep reading about the yellow line in the fjords, sounds reasonable to me.

I've got a 10/11 ft rib, Ding, with a 6 hp two stroke motor which is gtg. Also has reverse if needed. Or I also have a 9.9 Merc, four stroke long shaft off my lake sailboat if I choose to take it. Virtually new.

The water is forward midship, in the bilge. 40 gallons. I realistically don't see me doing anything here, until required. 40g"s good number, and a WM is mandatory for my boat. " I haven't factored in WM weight" guessing under 100 lb, and 4/6 k cost.

Anchors chain and rode, since I already have 200 ft, I'll need to purchase a windless to,match the chain, I recognize its ass backwards, somtimes it's just how it has to be.

Ronca, 33 maybe slightly bigger is in my SV's near future.

Gents, this Hallberg RASSY 33 Mistral was given to us, free, the overall condition is fantastic, however I've already got 7/9 k in rebuilding stuff, like the motor and stocking the required gear especially saftey gear.

I can see an easy 10 k more going into her, by Summer's end. Could care less about the money, I just want this old classic to be the best she can be, and have some creature comforts like water,,and power should my wife decide I'm not the skipper from hell. I ruined her sailing career racing few years back.

Thank,you.

Dirk Williams
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote