Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 07:57   #16

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Hoving To

Thanks for the feedback robert.

Was not aware that full keel boats use a hard sheeted main as the traditional method for heaving to.

On my boat I guess the balance is between the backwinded jib trying to fall off and the rudder to weather trying to round up. The main is released and slack to leeward.

And if I understand correctly, that is not being hove to in the traditional sense.
Old 15-04-2016, 08:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Thanks for the feedback robert.

Was not aware that full keel boats use a hard sheeted main as the traditional method for heaving to.

On my boat I guess the balance is between the backwinded jib trying to fall off and the rudder to weather trying to round up. The main is released and slack to leeward.

And if I understand correctly, that is not being hove to in the traditional sense.
Yes, I think if you experiment you might find that your boat lays much nicer with the main to center but maybe reefed quite a bit depending on winds.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:58   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
SNIP

The important thing to know is that all boats are different and what a number of sailors are finding out is that a backwinded jib is to much sail and often they can fore reach slowly on just a reefed main and the rudder hard over. In some cases you don't need a fully hard over rudder so each sailor has to take his boat out in winds of 25 or so knots and experiment to find out what works.
With a new boat I would suggest going out in maybe 5-10 knots to start and then building up to higher wind speed. Also keep in mind that conditions, in terms of wind direction and wave direction, are not always the same and you may need to adjust things. Especially in a place like the Gulf Stream it is common to find the wind from one direction and the waves from a different direction.

One thing I like to do is take my boat to the grass line next to the Gulf Stream and try and see how long I can stay in the grass. Lots of times I see fishing boats trolling along the line and while some are a little upset to have to alter course experienced fishermen seem to realize that fish are attracted to objects in the grass and often times trolling around my boat can result in a better chance to catch a fish. Not just for the other fishermen but for me as well.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hoving To

Heaving to is not dangerous.. its what one does when conditions look to be getting dangerous.. and the boat is getting pressed.. it de-stresses the rig and sails while keeping the boat heading wind and sea's between 45 and 60 degrees allowing crew to rest and move around in some safety till conditions become favourable to continue.
I have in the past spent up to 5 days hove to at times.. and not always because I've had to..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 09:05   #20

My experience is that heaving to is:
- good in conditions that are not rough, for a break
- Often difficult, if not impossible, in today's boats/rough conditions.
-in rough seas can be quite dangerous. The water is more powerful than your minimal reduced sail. The breaking waves cover the boat forcing the bow to the lee. The boat veers off and is essentialy lying ahull with each cycle in a big wave trough. While in the trough, there is no wind to work the sails.
-Then it repeats that.
-Even the Pardeys talk extensively about trying to use a bridle to keep the boat oriented correctly.... and their boat is a true long keel as opposed to a cutaway keel , long fin etc.
-Water is stronger than wind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote