Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 02:58   #241

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Collision Avoidance, Cones of Uncertainty, and Appropriate CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
AAAAhhhhhhhhhh!

Even after all the discussions over the last few months, some still don't grasp the fundamental concept of COLREGs
Could be worse, some folk call them "rules of the road" I drove on the left hand side of the road on my way into work this morning and overtook by passing the car in front on his right hand side
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:30   #242

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Hmmm, the line of sight calculation depends on which on-line calculator I use, and seems to vary from 8 to 10 miles for both points being 12 ft above sea level.
Formula given earlier 1.17 x sq rt(HoE in ft). For 12 ft it's 4.05 miles. Since it's that for both objects, the range would be 8.1.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:34   #243
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Formula given earlier 1.17 x sq rt(HoE in ft). For 12 ft it's 4.05 miles. Since it's that for both objects, the range would be 8.1.
But, but , but, I have seen other formulae, including...

line of sight dx =1.23 * h1^0.5 + 1.23 h2^0.5
sub h1 and h2 = 12
= 8.5

...and yet others that report up to 10 nm.

Relates to the old adage, a man with one clock knows exactly what time it is, while a man with two is never really sure. ;-)

(It seems, even with GPS time tied to atomic clocks this still holds true when some boats cross the finish line. Just sayin...
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31   #244

Quote:
But, but , but, I have seen other formulae, including...

line of sight dx =1.23 * h1^0.5 + 1.23 h2^0.5
sub h1 and h2 = 12
= 8.5

...and yet others that report up to 10 nm.

Relates to the old adage, a man with one clock knows exactly what time it is, while a man with two is never really sure. ;-)

(It seems, even with GPS time tied to atomic clocks this still holds true when some boats cross the finish line. Just sayin...
You're using the formula for radar horizon.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31   #245
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You're using the formula for radar horizon.
hmmmm, could be, I've just tried about 20 different sites for on-line calculation based on the search "visual line of sight calculator". I have about 20 different answers, some radio, some visual.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:44   #246

All you need is here: https://thenauticalalmanac.com/Bowdi...Navigator.html
Old 03-10-2017, 14:19   #247

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
To be precise, it's a section of a cone. The concept is plotting the accumulating uncertainty about the positions of moving vessels. It's analogous to the cone of uncertainty used in hurricane forecasts. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_Uncertainty

It's a powerful concept which is essential to extracting useful information out of imprecise data.
Well then , we really should be using correct terminology ( eg Cone of Uncertainty ) at all times so as not to cause confusion when discussing right of way issues...no?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13   #248
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Actually not luck, but the skill of the mariners on the bridges of ships you have encountered.

They generally assume that we have no idea what we are doing, and maneuver far ahead of an encounter with a WAFI. Their maneuvers are generally calculated to take them far enough away from us that no dumb sudden move we might make -- like a 90 degree turn, 1/4 mile away -- can cause a collision.

If you will talk to commercial mariners about collision avoidance, as I have, you will hear this story over and over again.

One of the really ingenious things about the COLREGS is that the system works and collisions will be prevented if even only one vessel understands what to do.
I am sure that there are many commercial mariners who wish there were no other vessels than the one they are in charge of on the water, and believe that everyone else out there is an idiot.

When one gets paid to do a job, they are likely to follow different procedures than one who is not. The one who is paid, must follow orders or direction of authority. The one who is not, just needs to satisfy their pucker factor.

I also know that some recreational sailors get way too anal about "proper vessel handling". For some, excessive obsession with collision avoidance and prudent seamanship may be "fun", for others, any more than required to not get sunk, is too much infringement on their freedom and relaxation.

I guess you fall into the former, and I fall in the latter category.

I would not go so far as to suggest either is right or wrong, just that it does take all kinds, to make the diverse boating community we all enjoy.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:27   #249
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
I am sure that there are many commercial mariners who wish there were no other vessels than the one they are in charge of on the water, and believe that everyone else out there is an idiot.

When one gets paid to do a job, they are likely to follow different procedures than one who is not. The one who is paid, must follow orders or direction of authority. The one who is not, just needs to satisfy their pucker factor.

I also know that some recreational sailors get way too anal about "proper vessel handling". For some, excessive obsession with collision avoidance and prudent seamanship may be "fun", for others, any more than required to not get sunk, is too much infringement on their freedom and relaxation.

I would not go so far as to suggest either is right or wrong, just that it does take all kinds, to make the diverse boating community we all enjoy.
I'm guessing that Canada is much the same as the US in that COLREGS are not optional. In the US the COLREGS and the treaties that require them are implemented in US Law. Mostly in 33 CFR.

Anytime a vessel ignores US Inland rules on internal US waters or COLREGS elsewhere they are breaking US Law.

I recall no occupation "recreation".

It sounds like you are saying that Commercial Truck Driver have to follow the driving rules but I'm a recreational driver so I don't really have to stop for a red light or yield when merging. So long as it does not exceed my pucker factor.

Contrary to what you state there is a right and a wrong. It is coded in Law.

A case in point - at my marina people sound their horn for 1/2 second (if we are lucky) when leaving their berth. But the law requires a prolonged blast (4 to 6 seconds).

Should there be a collision at that point they would be found substantially at fault because they did not give the warning blast as required by law -even if the other party was doing something stupid.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 14:06   #250
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I'm guessing that Canada is much the same as the US in that COLREGS are not optional. In the US the COLREGS and the treaties that require them are implemented in US Law. Mostly in 33 CFR.

Anytime a vessel ignores US Inland rules on internal US waters or COLREGS elsewhere they are breaking US Law.

I recall no occupation "recreation".

It sounds like you are saying that Commercial Truck Driver have to follow the driving rules but I'm a recreational driver so I don't really have to stop for a red light or yield when merging. So long as it does not exceed my pucker factor.

Contrary to what you state there is a right and a wrong. It is coded in Law.

A case in point - at my marina people sound their horn for 1/2 second (if we are lucky) when leaving their berth. But the law requires a prolonged blast (4 to 6 seconds).

Should there be a collision at that point they would be found substantially at fault because they did not give the warning blast as required by law -even if the other party was doing something stupid.
I said nothing about not complying with Colregs or laws?????????

FWIW, in the marina we keep our rec vessel with about 230 others, I have never heard a single one sound a horn FOR ANY REASON.
Old 04-10-2017, 14:23   #251
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:

To me "proper vessel handling" includes following COLREGS/inland rules. You state that you are in the camp that "any more than required to not get sunk, is too much infringement on their freedom and relaxation"....
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 15:14   #252

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
For some, excessive obsession with collision avoidance and prudent seamanship may be "fun", for others, any more than required to not get sunk, is too much infringement on their freedom and relaxation.

Quote:
I said nothing about not complying with Colregs or laws
You certainly implied it. There is a lot more to COLREGs than "not getting sunk".

Your "right" to freedom and relaxation on the water ends at the point where it endangers others and that's when you don't follow COLREGs.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 15:29   #253
cruiser

Quote:
You certainly implied it. There is a lot more to COLREGs than "not getting sunk".

Your "right" to freedom and relaxation on the water ends at the point where it endangers others and that's when you don't follow COLREGs.
OK, I think some misinterpreted my intention.

I was referring to the infinite amount of effort one may apply to what they consider "prudent seamanship".

I believe everyone should follow colregs.

To me, that is the minimum requirement to not get sunk.

Colregs does not require any recreational boater (at least under a specified length) to even have AIS, or to plot courses using any specific protocol, nor to maintain any minimum distance from another vessel.

This is what I was referring to.

One can set up all the electronics wizardary at their nav station, and plot course changes 1500 miles in advance, so as to never get closer than 100 miles to another vessel, if they wish.

I don't wish to and colregs does not require it.

That is my point.

Colregs (and or any other applicable legislation) is the minimum; anything beyond that is a matter of personal pucker factor.
Old 04-10-2017, 17:37   #254

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

'Not getting sunk' really is the same as 'Preventing Collisions' as in 'International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea' just expressed in a slightly different manner....
Old 04-10-2017, 17:49   #255

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
I said nothing about not complying with Colregs or laws?????????

FWIW, in the marina we keep our rec vessel with about 230 others, I have never heard a single one sound a horn FOR ANY REASON.
That is pathetic. PATHETIC! Other than during high-tide, I sound a loud, four-second blast on my horn when leaving the marina which is surrounded by a sea-wall blocking the view. ... I do plead guilty in not usually sounding three shorts when backing out of the berth.

Tags
collision