Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2023, 03:45   #31

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Circumnav prep - 2027

Wonder how the OP is doing ? He's never come back to let us know...

Old 22-12-2023, 06:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Wonder if OP will update this 2021 thread?

While not circumnavigation speciific, I don't think sailing skills make or break a cruising dream. Seamanship skills can be learned fairly quickly. Biggest seamanship shortcomings I've noted are weather routing abilities, anchoring, and close quarter maneuvers.

Lack of money and, relatedly, lack of mechanical prowess kill more cruising dreams than lack of sailing skills. Being able to keep a full-time underway/anchored boat lit with electricity is challenging, especially in low latitudes where refrigeration saps watts at an alarming rate. Everyone starts thinking they'll anchor 99% of the time but there is no way to tell if that's realistic for your style until you do it long-term - anchoring full time for a week long BVI bcharter is idyllic. Reality is transient slips in many places approach $70/night for a 45-foot boat (with overhang plus water snd electricity).

There is a long list of practical prep that folks miss when taking classes or watching YouTubers. A lot of it can't be learned without school of hard knocks experience. In my opinion, the sailing part is over emphasized.
I got a boat last year with 0 boat knowledge. But a career in radio/sat comms and now an aircraft mechanic. I can fix basically anything on the boat, or do enough research to figure it out.

I keep it in a marina during the season so I get to interact with other boaters often. It’s unbelievable how much people will spend on boat repairs. They’ll go out for a day cruise and come back with a $500 bill because their raw water intake clogged and they don’t know what to do.

Those little bills add up quick. I spent the first year focusing hard on just learning the systems of the boat. Chasing everywire, checking out plumbing, lifting every floor board. This year will be focused on actual cruising skills. Anchoring, route planning, etc.

The sailing part is the least of my worries.
Ixium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 09:17   #33

Boat: Bavaria 38E

I think most folks, in general these days, know little of maintenance/repair. The emergence in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s of the “throw it away and buy a new one” way of “maintaining stuf” has gotten a firm grip on American society. It’s easy to see how it could. Cost of labor to produce many factory items is less than the cost to have someone fix it if it breaks, especially if it’s bound to break again soon. Boats and other big ticket items escape to a major degree; however, many owners have never developed the proper habit. Then of course, there’s the “maintenance free” advertising frequently hawked to reinforce the bad habits, etc. I know of a boater who never changed the joker valve on the toilet. Did not know of its existence. After several seasons were looking to sell the boat b/c the sanitation system wasn’t working properly, etc.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 09:50   #34

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixium View Post
I got a boat last year with 0 boat knowledge. But a career in radio/sat comms and now an aircraft mechanic. I can fix basically anything on the boat, or do enough research to figure it out.
I spent the first year focusing hard on just learning the systems of the boat. Chasing everywire, checking out plumbing, lifting every floor board.
You're on the path to success in boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
I think most folks, in general these days, know little of maintenance/repair. The emergence in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s of the “throw it away and buy a new one” way of “maintaining stuf” has gotten a firm grip on American society.
Books could be written about such things, (probably have).
Part of it is/was the educational system.
The "old/older" guys went to school when electric shop/wood shop/metal shop/automotive shop/mechanical drawing, were an integral part of high schools.
Of course, back then when you opened the hood of your car you could actually see if there was a real engine in place.
Old 19-02-2024, 15:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Wonder how the OP is doing ? He's never come back to let us know...

OP here! Doing well. Since the last time that I've posted I've:

1.) day sailed a lot
2.) chartered in the Caribbean and the Med
3.) Passed ASA 114 and 117
4.) Took ASA 108 and I'm almost done with that, only a written assignment to finish.

My original goal of 2027 is perhaps going to be pushed back to 2028, maybe 2029. The reason is finances (pandemic effect) and family matters.

I'm now:

1.) Going back to charter in the Med. Will likely continue to charter in the Med and other locations as well
2.) looking at boats to purchase. That's probably best saved for another post. My preferences are constantly changing, probably because I've never owned a boat and I don't REALLY know what I want.
3.) Will take a weather course (or self study) and a docking class
4.) My wife and are planning to take boat maintenance and repair classes (Diesel engines, marine electrical systems, marine plumbing, sail and canvas repair).
kgriffithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 02:44   #36

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Awesome ! Looks like you will do it !!!